Ruger replacing my LCPII.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I hate to sound like a broken record and I know I've posted allot about my LCPII with the safety concerns and the different issues with it. This LCPII makes the 4th brand new Ruger being replaced in the last couple of years. No I haven't had the best luck with Ruger lately.

As many may remember this particular gun went back to Prescott not much after I got it because the trigger wouldn't reset. I had mentioned how hard it was to un-chamber a live round while they had it. The chambered round working the slide to un-chamber it the base of the cartridge case was catching on the extractor and the tip of the projectile was getting jammed in the top right hand corner of the ejection port. I had to physically pry the extractor off the cases base. Ruger is aware of that and apparently nothing can or will be done about that. They gave their suggestions to make easier when I was on the phone with them about the TD Pin walking. I never had another issue with the trigger not resetting once it made it's first trip back.

Okay last week it made a 2nd trip back to Prescott. The take down pin was walking out. I tried a couple different Ruger pins and the Tandemkross TD Pin with the same results. I can just see that pin walking completely out not noticing it and the slide comes back at you like a Missile.
Then I mentioned there was minimal play or looseness in the slide with a rocking back and forth movement and also some up and down slide movement by the muzzle when un-cocked but it becomes excessive when it's cocked.

I got a email from Prescott this morning after an in-valuation they are replacing this LCPII. I had to give authorization by filling out the email she sent.
Not much to it. Initial and a few Yes's . I was told or recommended to forward that email to the receiving dealer. I called them first so they were aware of it then I sent the forwarded email.

I wanted a LCP Custom then they were discontinued after waiting for 5 months or so and wondering why they couldn't get the Custom.
I asked this morning in the reply email if they possibly had a new Custom LCP I'd rather have it instead of the LCPII. Again I told my concerns about the fully cocked hammer with a chambered round with nothing more than a trigger blade safety. I mentioned that I also had paid quite a bit more for the LCPII then what the Customs were selling for before the were discontinued. I know I'd feel allot safer carrying the Custom then the supposedly new and improved LCPII even if I take a beating with the difference in price. I doubt they have any Customs left but it didn't hurt to ask.It would be nice if they do have a Custom and throw in a couple magazines for the price difference.
I asked for a time frame not that I'm in a hurry. I had 2 brand new defective 357 LCR's replaced. One took almost 6 weeks and the other was about 4 weeks.

I'll update as I know anything

Armybrat

Buckeye
Sounds like you're kinda snakebit.

I've bought an SR9, SR45, LCP, and two New Vaqueros all in the past 7 years without any of them giving me problems. At least Ruger's CS is trying to make it good for you.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
When you get the new gun, cut your losses and put it on Gunbroker or the classifieds section here. I bet somebody would be happy to trade an LCP Custom to you.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
When you get the new gun, cut your losses and put it on Gunbroker or the classifieds section here. I bet somebody would be happy to trade an LCP Custom to you.

I might just do that. I'm hoping Ruger can find a Custom stashed away and ship that instead.

Armybrat I don't know if I got snakebit or what. I've been buying Ruger's since the early to mid 1970's and though there was a problem once or twice nothing like I've gotten in the last couple years.The last couple years has been a disaster. You know something isn't right when this LCPII makes the 4th new gun replaced in 2 yrs or so. They sure aren't going to replace them if there wasn't major issues with them.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Seems though, that some of their new semiauto rollouts are infected with bugs that necessitate a redesign of a part or two. I recall the SR9 and the LCP in particular had some issues when they were first introduced. Maybe the same thing with the LCPII?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The LCP and SR series have gotten through their initial problems and are generally good to go right out of the box. Now, Ruger has rolled out the RAP and LCP II and the roller coaster starts up again.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Update!
I'm waiting to hear back from them again.

Looks like I'll be getting the Custom instead ,which they agreed to. I figured they'd have some of the Customs put away for a rainy day. Sure enough. After I was told they'd give me the Custom instead that got thinking about the difference in the price so I asked for a couple replacement magazines be thrown in to make up for the difference between the Customs and the LCPII's. I'm waiting to hear if they agree to that or I'll just take another LCPII and sell it. There is a considerable different in what I paid for the LCPII and what the Customs were going for not very long ago.
I'll keep you posted.
I really don't foresee hearing back from them today.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Okay the latest. I posted earlier that they would give me a Custom instead ,I thanked the rep when I replied about the extra magazines to make up the price difference. I never heard back from the rep and I replied to her early this morning.
I noticed her email was sent on Saturday so maybe she was off today. I Hope not.
A short time ago I got a email Fed Ex notice that the replacement will be at the dealer on Wed. I didn't know what we decided on but I'm sure or I hope she was there to read my email about the magazines. I sent her another email after the Fed Ex notice. As it stands right now it's wait and see I'm afraid. I'll update as I know anything.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
Ruger Redhawk said:
Okay the latest. I posted earlier that they would give me a Custom instead ,I thanked the rep when I replied about the extra magazines to make up the price difference. I never heard back from the rep and I replied to her early this morning.
I noticed her email was sent on Saturday so maybe she was off today. I Hope not.
A short time ago I got a email Fed Ex notice that the replacement will be at the dealer on Wed. I didn't know what we decided on but I'm sure or I hope she was there to read my email about the magazines. I sent her another email after the Fed Ex notice. As it stands right now it's wait and see I'm afraid. I'll update as I know anything.
Ruger tends to be rather generous when dealing with verifiable issues. Hope it works out for ya.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I posted this on another Ruger forum just now so instead of retyping or changing anything I'm just pasting it here.

Okay It's all straighten out. I have a Custom LCP that will be delivered tomorrow by Fed Ex.
The rep hadn't seen my email where I requested the extra magazines to make up for the difference in price of the 2 different models until the Custom had already shipped. I was sure either way they'd make it right.
She apologized and said that the extra(2) magazine will ship today Priority mail. I already received the notice and tracking number for the magazines and checking the Fed Ex tracking the gun is on time. Once again of course I wish it didn't happen but it was a pleasure dealing with Ruger's CS. You can't ask for better service we've all learned to expect.
So depending when it gets to my dealer I hope to pick it up tomorrow. It's supposed to be a rainy day tomorrow. If the weather clears up I plan on taking it to the range on Thursday. I'll give a range report soon.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
USMCXD said:
That's what I'm talking about. Ruger just has par excellence CS.

Congrat's on the resolution!!!
:)

Thanks, Hopefully this "Custom" will be right and all this can be put behind.
Ruger has one of the best if not the best customer services. Sadly over the last few years I've had to call on them more times anyone would expect.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
I think it will be good to go. The last few years of the LCP have been pretty trouble free from what I can tell. Mine certainly has been.

That's good to hear they've been trouble free and yours has been one of them.
The LCPII will be too once they get a handle on the issues we've been seeing.
I'm thinking positive about this "Custom" before I even have it in my hands. Everyone that has a Custom seems to be happy with them. All this with my LCPII could have been avoided if the 2 Customs that I waited probably 5 months for actually came to be.

Weather permitting and I do get it today I'll do my best getting it to the range.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I picked the Custom LCP up today.
By the time I got back and did what I needed to it got to late to run to the range. Hopefully next week I'll make it to the range.
I cleaned it when I got home, polished the feed ramp. When I got home the 2 extra magazines were in the mailbox so it's been a good day so far. I did dry fire it a couple times the trigger is allot better then I expected. Since I had that Tandemkross T.D Pin I used it instead. I noticed a big different putting the TD pin in this new one compared to the other one. Apparently that wire is molded in the polymer frame and not repairable or replaceable.

I didn't notice something until I got home. The Ruger paperwork, the box and guns S/N all matched. I got the cash register receipt from the guy and just put it in the box not looking at it. Since I had bought the defective gun from them they didn't charge me for the transfer.
The S/N on the receipt was missing one of the numbers in the S/N. I called the manager right away, gave him the correct number. He was correcting it but was going to call Ruger to verify the number.
I always check the numbers and today I did all but the receipt. I'm glad I noticed it when I was recording this gun in my records. There was another time over 20 years ago I have never forgotten. A buddy of mine was a dealer. He ordered me a G-27. I'm glad I checked the gun against the box which he was using for the 4473 form. The gun was in the wrong box with a completely different S/N. You definitely need to check numbers not depend on others.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
USMCXD said:
Ruger Redhawk said:
You definitely need to check numbers not depend on others.
For sure. Hope all goes well with it now.

Yes sir I learned that years ago I just took that for granted today it was right. It was a refresher course.

I give a range report when I take to the range hopefully next week.I'm almost excited seeing what this Custom will do.

Ruger Redhawk said:
I posted this on another Ruger forum just now so instead of retyping or changing anything I'm just pasting it here.

Okay It's all straighten out. I have a Custom LCP that will be delivered tomorrow by Fed Ex.
The rep hadn't seen my email where I requested the extra magazines to make up for the difference in price of the 2 different models until the Custom had already shipped. I was sure either way they'd make it right.
She apologized and said that the extra(2) magazine will ship today Priority mail. I already received the notice and tracking number for the magazines and checking the Fed Ex tracking the gun is on time. Once again of course I wish it didn't happen but it was a pleasure dealing with Ruger's CS. You can't ask for better service we've all learned to expect.
So depending when it gets to my dealer I hope to pick it up tomorrow. It's supposed to be a rainy day tomorrow. If the weather clears up I plan on taking it to the range on Thursday. I'll give a range report soon.
And all that without a Warranty!!! WTG Ruger!