Ruger replacing my LCPII.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louchia

Single-Sixer
I just had similar problem with opposite results. After several issues with the LCP gen2 and a couple of replacements, I asked CS if they would let me try my luck with a LCP II. They agreed and sent one right out. Will be at the range tomorrow to give it a run.
You are right, they have great CS.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
It might be a few days before I get out to try it.

I got a email flyer from one of the local dealers last Friday AM!
Needless to say and no I didn't need it a S&W M&P 45 Shield followed me home. I've fired a 9mm Shield before but this will be the first time firing the 45 Shield.
So I have 2 new noise making devices I need to run through the paces.

As you can see I filled in the lettering with white nail polish.
I did the Custom LCP in Red because of the red trigger.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I went to the range yesterday with the Custom LCP.

I only shot 50 flawless rounds, I say flawless rounds which isn't completely true that poorly designed Take Down pin set up caused a stoppage. I posted about this on the other Ruger forum and one of the guys told me and I forgot that I had read that on the Tandemkross site that their TD pin isn't for the Custom LCP.. Ahhh that might be what the deal is with that. I changed it back to the Ruger pin this morning.

Anyway at the range.
I only had the Tandemkross pin with me and in the gun. Firing the first magazine I noticed the TD pin had worked out almost a 1/4". I stopped long enough to pull the slide back a little pushed the pin back in and locked it in place again. I felt it click like the other times. Once I pushed the pin back in and locked it in it stayed put.
I did notice there is a little mark on the edge of the slide just above where that pin rides. It wasn't there before I fired it.
When the slide is in battery it just in front of the TD Pin. It looks like a little dimple. Not a big deal it's going to live in a pocket or wallet holster. I do like this Custom better then the LCPII for what it is. Now if I decide to keep it or not remains to be seen.

As for shooting it shot good not a hiccup other than the TD Pin. I put it out 15' feet or so.
My eyes aren't like they once were.
The wind-age was perfect I couldn't ask for better. But and as I said between my eyes and those bigger sights that I'm not use to I was shooting probably 6" low in that short distance.
I need to remember that if God forbid I ever need it.

One of the posters on the other Ruger forum said he was shooting his LCP( I can't remember if he said it was a LCPII or not) He didn't notice the pin walking out until the pin fell out and the slide ended up on the ground. He found the pin in the grass.

I might slip this custom in my pocket for around the house or on a rare occasion a run to the corner store. Other than that it won't get carried very often. I'll stick with my Sig's the P 938 and the P 238 that have been flawless from the first round.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
As to the takedown pin, it is retained by a little wire spring that fits into a specific recess in the frame, held in place there by the plastic grip. It is possible for the spring to not be seated all the way and not exert enough pressure on the groove of the pin. You may want to take the frame out of th grip and inspect.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
As to the takedown pin, it is retained by a little wire spring that fits into a specific recess in the frame, held in place there by the plastic grip. It is possible for the spring to not be seated all the way and not exert enough pressure on the groove of the pin. You may want to take the frame out of th grip and inspect.

I'll have to check it out, I took the Tandemkross pin out and put the Ruger pin back in. I forgot all about it until someone brought it to my attention the Tandemkross site says it's not for the Customs. I hope that was the reason for it.
To be honest I'm not sure how I would take that frame out of the grip. I thought that wire was made into the Polymer grip as it was being molded.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Plenty of YouTube videos on how to disassemble the LCP, it's pretty easy.

Thanks I'll check it out. You can find just about anything you need to know on YouTube. I'm thinking about going to the range today but don't know if I'll shoot the LCP or not. My body is telling me today is a good revolver day instead of chasing brass.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
vaguru said:
Make a brass catcher!

I've thought about that and plus making something to stop the brass from flying over the top of the dividing walls of the shooting bays. Last week I was finding my 380 brass 2 bays over.
In front of the firing line is grass and soil, then behind there is concrete. Once the concrete ends it's all approx. 3/4" size rock which brass finds a nice hiding place. The brass pick up tool becomes about useless.

Funny you brought this up. I've been thinking about this for awhile and what would be a good way to make something out of PVC that would be easy to take to and from the range. As someone here had said shooting the LCP you find the brass a couple zip codes away. I made some screen that hangs behind me from the crank handle cables. That stopped the brass from going behind but I'm still dealing with the front and going over the dividing walls. I guess I need to get serious about this. I was going to go to the range today then I got involved in other things so I guess I'll go another day.