Bought a P89DAO that doesn't appear in Ruger's serial# list

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I bought a Stainless P89DAO today that I'll be picking up in a few days. The weird thing is the serial number doesn't appear on the Ruger serial number list: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/service/productHistory/PI-P89DAO.html

I don't have the pistol in hand, but I do have pictures of it below. So what the heck do I have here? It doesn't seem to be on any of the P89 lists no matter what the configuration. :? It came with the older cardboard boxes, both inner and outer box with factory letter. Was this somewhere between an 85 and 89? Why would it state that DAO models started in 93 though? :?:

m1junXe.jpg

hittman

Staff member
1992 courtesy of RENE.

RENE is your friend. :lol:

KP89DAO is Ruger model number 3069.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
1992 courtesy of RENE.

RENE is your friend. :lol:

KP89DAO is Ruger model number 3069.

Thanks, but are you RENE? :lol: Where did you find the date and why isn't it on Ruger's list?

ETA: I see what RENE is now.

hittman

Staff member
Ruger's list is notorious for being incorrect.

Subscribe to the Red Eagle News Exchange

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30544

roylt

Hunter
Early 89s are built like the 85 more so than a true 89 model. See the large slide stop and the way the barrel is flat with the slide and not poking up a bit. Just relabeled 85 model really.

I have one too :)

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Early 89s are built like the 85 more so than a true 89 model. See the large slide stop and the way the barrel is flat with the slide and not poking up a bit. Just relabeled 85 model really.

I have one too :)

I assume it has all of the upgrades though. So if I ever need parts I have to figure out if the part is for a 85 or 89?

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
REB said:
The magazines for the P85 and early P89 is different than the later P89.

Oh...great. So does this mean the stainless mags I just bought from CDNN won't work? What's the difference? Where should I be looking for mags and what type?

ETA: I guess the Mec-Gar mags are gtg in any 85 or 89. If the new factory Ruger stainless mags don't fit I'll have to return them and buy the Mec-Gars.

ETA: So I'm reading more and the 89s barrel is supposed to be improved. This improvement is obvious when the rear of the barrel sticks up above the slide (breach side) when in battery. The one I put money down on does not which is clear in the picture. :? Should I pass on this or immediately send it in to Ruger since it might have terrible accuracy? I had a proper P89 years ago, but this 85 or 89...whatever it is seems like it might be trouble or at the very least, not as accurate as a proper 89. I'm reading everything from this thread here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=141613

roylt

Hunter
The factory mags should clearly state what serial number range they fit.
Depending on price you paid I would keep it.
The P-series can be very accurate but were not built for bullseye shooting.

The DAO models are more rare so I bet you could resell and get a standard 89 model if you wanted as well.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I guess I'll see what works. Looking at Numrich even the grip screws are different between the 89 and 85. :? I know Ruger changed parts over the years, but some are just silly.

So could this technically be a P89 marked P85 MKII? If I ever need parts for this it seems I'll need to buy one each for a P85, P85 MKII and P89. Maybe more since some parts will only work on the DAO model. I wish Ruger still supported these parts wise so I could just give them a serial number and they would know exactly what is needed.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
More than likely you will never need parts for it. Its the reason we have so many die hard "P" nuts. They are built very well. Shoot it and you will probably be looking for more or different variations to add to your collection. I think I have 7 currently.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Well I picked it up and the current stainless factory mags fit and function just fine despite the serial number.

The hammer strut spring is a good bit shorter than a standard P89 hammer strut spring from Wolff which makes sense since it's DAO. That means no after market option, but the pull isn't bad anyway. I also noticed the ejector is a lot bigger and could interfere with some magazines, although that's not the case here.

I have my wood grips on there now, but I have to modify my P95 trigger a little more since it hits the frame before dropping the hammer. Then again I might leave the factory trigger in since the trigger is pretty far back once you get through the slack. Much more than on the DA/SA models.

Another thing I noticed is there's a kind of "half cock" hammer position. Rack the side and the hammer is far from the firing pin. Dry fire it and it's flush. Pull the trigger back enough to a certain position and it clicks into a notch, let go and it stays there. My Beretta 92Ds and other DAO semi-autos always go flush with the firing pin so that's new.

AglqnsZ.jpg

roylt

Hunter
Looks nice. Shoot it yet? You are talking about all these mods but if you haven't shot it you may just be wasting money. I like to try things as is before spending money on new Barbie clothes.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Looks nice. Shoot it yet? You are talking about all these mods but if you haven't shot it you may just be wasting money. I like to try things as is before spending money on new Barbie clothes.

I haven't shot it, but I already had the grips, trigger and springs from the standard P89 owned years ago. The trigger was a HUGE improvement on the standard P89, but the slack in this trigger has it sitting farther back before the start of the pull, hence no real need for the P95 trigger. The hammer strut spring was another HUGE improvement, but the spring on this one is shorter so they can't be used. Last the grips were a another HUGE improvement by making the grip more streamlined, slimmer, feel better in the hand and just look nicer as well.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Nakanokalronin said:
I bought a Stainless P89DAO today that I'll be picking up in a few days. The weird thing is the serial number doesn't appear on the Ruger serial number list: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/service/productHistory/PI-P89DAO.html

I don't have the pistol in hand, but I do have pictures of it below. So what the heck do I have here? It doesn't seem to be on any of the P89 lists no matter what the configuration. :? It came with the older cardboard boxes, both inner and outer box with factory letter. Was this somewhere between an 85 and 89? Why would it state that DAO models started in 93 though? :?:

m1junXe.jpg

Nakanokalronin,
Just between you and me, If I bought a firearm with questions about it's heritage, I
would not pick it up. Until you sign for the gun, it still belongs to the dealer who received
it from the shipper. Don't let the dealer BS you! If the dealer says you must
sign for the gun, tell him you will contact the ATF. Just saying what I would do.
Blackie

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
SR1911SHOOTER said:
Nakanokalronin said:

m1junXe.jpg

Nakanokalronin,
Just between you and me, If I bought a firearm with questions about it's heritage, I
would not pick it up. Until you sign for the gun, it still belongs to the dealer who received
it from the shipper. Don't let the dealer BS you! If the dealer says you must
sign for the gun, tell him you will contact the ATF. Just saying what I would do.
Blackie

It wasn't a question if it was a genuine serial number, but what date it's from since it doesn't appear on Ruger's website. As stated earlier, their lists are sometimes off.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I'm going to be shooting it this weekend, but I took one last picture showing the stainless grip screws I just put on.

OXOsuml.jpg

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Galaxiedan said:
More than likely you will never need parts for it. Its the reason we have so many die hard "P" nuts. They are built very well. Shoot it and you will probably be looking for more or different variations to add to your collection. I think I have 7 currently.
What ^^ he said!!

Well, I know the P-90 is well built! We have KP-90DC's as well as safety models. Tho I have a few other auto-loaders, you could call me a "die hard 'P' nut". If I were interested in carrying a 9mm, it would for sure be one of the "P' Series. Ours aren't going anywhere, tho I am transitioning back to Ruger revolvers for CCW.

Now that your mind has been put to ease about your early P-89 enjoy it!!! ..........If ya like it, maybe consider buying other nice "P" Series if you find them at what you would consider a decent gun for a decent price. They don't show up very often 'cause us P-nuts are keeping them :lol:

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Colonel Daddy said:
Galaxiedan said:
What ^^ he said!!

Well, I know the P-90 is well built! We have KP-90DC's as well as safety models. Tho I have a few other auto-loaders, you could call me a "die hard 'P' nut". If I were interested in carrying a 9mm, it would for sure be one of the "P' Series. Ours aren't going anywhere, tho I am transitioning back to Ruger revolvers for CCW.

Now that your mind has been put to ease about your early P-89 enjoy it!!! ..........If ya like it, maybe consider buying other nice "P" Series if you find them at what you would consider a decent gun for a decent price. They don't show up very often 'cause us P-nuts are keeping them :lol:

Heh, this isn't my first P series gun or P89. I currently own a P345, owned a regular P89 that had the Hogue grips and P95 trigger and owned a P95. It's just this early in-between model made me think parts would either be hard to find or that it would be hard to determine weather it's an 85 or 89 part which could still be true.

My P345
3FOAnp4.jpg

The P89 I owned
nBofYB7.jpg

The P95 I owned
osx10DT.jpg