Ruger SR9 Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Morpheus1967

Bearcat
Hello all. New member here, first post. I have an issue (I think) with my SR9. Let me preface this by saying I am very new to the hand gun world. I bought this for home protection. I have been to the range 3 or 4 times with an experienced shooter, who has been helping me along. Anyways, my issue.

I went to the range this morning. Tonight, I broke down my SR9 to clean it. When I put it back together, I noticed there was "play" between the barrel and the grip. In so much that when I hold it up, I can see through the gun where the barrel meets the grip. I have attached two photos to kind of show what I am talking about.

I have taken this weapon apart many times in the past to clean it, and I honestly do not recall there being this much play. In the second picture, you can see where my wife has pressed the barrel and the grip together.

So is this normal? Did I do something incorrectly? Or do I have an issue? Thanks for any insight.

Bad2.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Bad.jpg
[/URL][/img]

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
If it cycles correctly, then you don't have a problem. Many polymer frame guns have that same gap. It's to allow the barrel to cool evenly and provide some necessary clearance when things get hot and expand. Your gap looks the same as mine.

Welcome to the forum. :D

Morpheus1967

Bearcat
Sorry to sound like such a newb. What do you mean by "cycling correctly"? And thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
You didn't do anything wrong. That gap is very normal and common on most polymer framed pistols. As GuynnyGene explained it allows for heat expansion differences between the frame and slide. My SR9C has the same gap as did a couple of Glocks I owned in the past.

Morpheus1967

Bearcat
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the input and expertise. Just surprised I never noticed it before.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Morpheus1967 said:
Sorry to sound like such a newb. What do you mean by "cycling correctly"? And thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Keeping it very basic, cycling is the slide moving back & forward, either manually or when shooting. There's a lot goes on mechanically during that but I don't want to complicate things for you.

You may know this already, but since you said are unfamiliar with semi's, I should point out that when you rack the slide back to get that first round from the magazine into the chamber, don't baby it. Haul the slide all the way back to the stop and LET GO. Many new shooters are afraid to allow the slide to go forward on it's own, and that is almost guaranteed to not fully chamber the round, which is a problem and can be dangerous.

Again, welcome aboard to you and yours and feel free to ask anything related to shooting. No such thing as a stupid question. :)

PS: Here's a generic video of semi-auto functioning (cycling, etc.). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqZsSk5FFX4

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Just be glad you don't have a SIG P320 then... because of the way there is a chassis system with that pistol, there is play between the frame rails and the "grip module" itself. If you ever get the chance to handle one of them, put your hands like your wife's are in the second pic and squeeze it. It rattles.

In any case, these types of guns aren't hand-fitted target pistols... they are mass produced with larger clearances for parts to drop in plus having looseness allows them to function in a wider range of conditions. Noticing something like this after the fact is also not that uncommon, especially if you're new to handguns.

websterz

Single-Sixer
Ditto. Looks just like my SR9. My pistol is my every day carry and has close to 8k rounds through it at this point. It's still as tight as new and will put shots on target all day long without a hiccup.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Mine doesn't have a gap where i can see springs, hate to be a downer. I never had jam after maybe 1000 rounds and I bought it used so no telling how many total have been through it. I also own a Glock 19 and I have settled on the SR9 full sized as my favorite semi auto. It basically has the same Glock trigger, but it's slimmer, and rides in the hand easier and sits up a little bit higher. The sights are instinctively easy to use. Not sure what problems were referred to, I have not researched every issue but mine has no bugs. The only thing the Glock is better at-
1. Cheaper and better magazines
2. Easier to field strip.
The SRP is easier to shoot, is more accurate and is one of the most under rated guns I have run across, but I guess everyone says that about their favorite pistol.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I like the SR series, unfortunately I think they are going to walk the plank in favor of the RAP. Around here they sell for the same price and the SR is still more popular.

Latest posts