New LC9s Pro

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vaguru

Bearcat
My first post here, but I have been "lurking" for quite a while.

Broke down and finally bought a LC9s, the Pro model last week. Have over 200 shots on it with perfect functioning. I have only shot about 120 shots per session, but this thing really shoots well, chewing the 10 and X ring out of a 50 ft. pistol target, easily keeping them all in the black. Follow up shots come naturally with minimal rise. I have no issues whatsoever firing this gun, and feel I could shoot 200-300 rounds per session without issue, probably more.

Sights were "dead on" out of the box at 8 yds.

I have shot 3 different 115 gr factory loads, my 115 gr handloads, and my preferred SD load of Federal 124 gr HST. The HST load hits only 1 inch higher than the 115 gr loads at this distance so is good to go!

Next session I will shoot at longer ranges to see just how far I can go with "true" sight alignment. And then "stacking" the front dot on top of the rear dots, just for personal information.

This gun is a real shooter! I am extremely pleased and impressed with the performance.

It will take a prominent place in my EDC regiment. This one is a keeper!

Toucan56

Bearcat
Sounds like you found a new "Soul Mate". I like mine slot and use it as a 3 seasons EDC. I just haven't been able to shoot more than 50 at a time. But I just put on a Houge Grip Sleeve made for the LC9s and have not been to the range yet. Hopefully it'll help.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Your experience pretty much mirrors mine, except that I do mostly reloads. Can't imagine anyone buying anything else once they've tried the LC9s (both Pro or not). Can't beat the price or the reliability.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
My wife likes her LC9s, keeps me in line casting and reloading. As of two weeks ago she is north of 7000 rounds.

Bill

vaguru

Bearcat
Shot the Pro again today. It was a blast, chronographed a few loads, shot "normal" distance of 8 yds and then out to 15 and 20 yds just to see where it hits. Tried the different floor plates on the mags also. I prefer the extended, though I can shoot the flat, while my son prefers the flat. Nice Ruger gives you both so you have a choice.

8 yds, just chewed out the center of the 50 ft pistol target, as expected. 15 yds, still hitting center, but group opened up, mostly due to sunlight in my eyes, but elevation center. 20 yds, again, group opened up but still on center for elevation. I'll have to try these distances again when the light is more favorable.

Ran another 150 rounds through mine today and my son another 100 rounds through his. This makes a total of 400 through each, without so much as a hiccup! We really LIKE these Pros, GREAT guns!

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
I bought an LC9s about a year ago. I love it. It will eat anything I run through it.
My wife shoots an LC380. I have an LC9 but when the LC9s came out I snapped one up.
It is equipped with a Veridian green laser and a DeSantis holster with magnet to
actuate the laser upon drawing. I love it.
All of my Rugers run like a singer sewing machine. Even the rifles.
Ruger Rocks!
Blackie

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
I have the LC9S Pro model and it's a nice little gun. Small and fits well into my Alien Gear OWB hybrid leather/kydex like plastic holster. It's ligher than my Walther's PPQ and easier to carry.

I finally started using my big suspenders on my 5.11 tactical pants. The pants cost about $70 plus dollars and the suspender attachments have metal teeth that grip onto the pants material. I'm hoping that the metal teeth don't tear holes in the pants material. That would be a crime IMHO if that happens. But the other type of suspender clamps have plastic at the clamp on point and they don't stay attached to the pants material as well.

But I love my little Semi Auto Ruger LC9S Pro gun. It shoots nice and straight too. One you get the proper grip, learn the proper stance and learn to aim the gun properly while keeping your head up right and straight with both eye's open and then learn to pull the trigger properly it shoots very well. Even with the smaller 3" long barrel I can hit the targets at 25 yards out with good consistency. Not sure if my spell checker is working as the word "consistency" looks misspelled to me right now.

Congratulations on your new guy purchase and you will like it once you start to shoot it.

The only things that I didn't like about this gun is that it's a little harder to take down and there is a possibility of losing the little take down pin if you are not careful. You have to rack the slide back just enoght to free the take down pin and that's the difficult part. Other than that the gun is easy to clean. But my Walthers PPQ is much easier to take the slide off and clean that gun. So by comparison to my Walters' PPQ M2 the little LC9S Pro is just a wee bit harder to take apart and clean than the Walthers PPQ.

And I had some problems getting the 9 mm Hornady Critical Duty ammo with the "FLEXLOC" head to manually feed into the chamber out of three different magazines in this gun. I think that the slanted and or semi pointed heads on the FlexLoc ammo is causing the problem. When I rack the slide with a full load in the magazine and one in the chamber the next bullet seems to nose dive and hit the bottom of the feed ramp in this little LC9S Pro and fail to feed a lot. It didn't do that when I actually shot these shells at the range if I remember right. These Hornady Critical Duty shell are more expensive than my practice ammo. The 9 mm Blazer Brass FMJ 115 grain bullet. So I don't shoot the Hornady very much due to it's higher cost. I have less of the Hornady Critical Duty ammo than the blazer brass ammo. I buy the Blazer Brass ammo in bulk of 350 bullets in one case. So it's a lot cheaper than the Hornady that comes in a box of 20 or 25 bullets.

But over all I really do like the little Ruger LC9S Pro. I wish that my Stealthgear holster had interchangeable shells like the Alien Gear Holsters have. But Stealthgear doesn't do business that way. And Stealthgear Flex OWB holster are way over priced. I like it but man did they take me to the cleaners to get one for my PPQ.

I never liked carrying my PPQ as it got uncomfortable after a few hours in the Alien Gear OWB holster and the Clock Tuck 3.0 IWB holsters. So I started carrying the Ruger for a while until I experienced the problem with the Hornady Critical Duty ammo. Then I bought the Stealthgear Flex OWB holster and started carrying the PPQ again. The PPQ magazine holds 17 rounds of ammo so I like that. I also have an Alien Gear Magazine holder that carries my double stack 9 mm magazine on my belt for an extra mag.

I actually feel pretty good carrying either gun for self defense. I can shoot the PPQ a little more accurately as it has the longer barrel and great trigger. The Ruger's Trigger is smooth too. Which helps me shoot better and more accurately when I practice shooting it more.

I decided to clean the dust out of mine yesterday and for about 5 minutes thought I had screwed up royally ....

with the barrel and spring off of the slide I put the slide back on the gun... and it locked and would not come back off... not sure what I did... had something to do with pulling the trigger and pushing forward hard on the slide to get it back off but it did come off.

vaguru

Bearcat
[/quote] Just curious, why did you decide on the "PRO" version?[/quote]

Don't like magazine safeties!

Didn't want to "disable" the magazine safety on a standard model, then have to "use" the gun for protection, thereby giving anyone reason to claim "modified".

If the trigger safety it incorporates is good enough for a Glock, it's good enough for the Ruger! Don't pull the trigger, it doesn't go off.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
As nice as the LC9S is, I'll probably roll with a Glock 43 if I decide to get another mini 9mm. I like the fact that it shares the same proven design as it's bigger brethren. If Ruger had come out with a slim version of the SR9 I probably would have bought one.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
As nice as the LC9S is, I'll probably roll with a Glock 43 if I decide to get another mini 9mm. I like the fact that it shares the same proven design as it's bigger brethren. If Ruger had come out with a slim version of the SR9 I probably would have bought one.
I just picked up a BRAND NEW Springfield XDS 9 3.3" for $377 shipped to me. The bonus was the Mag and Gear promotion Springfield is doing right now. An amazing deal on an amazing pistol.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
I wear this gun in a 5.11 tactical shirt/vest which has pockets on each side of the chest area. I keep the pistol in an "inside the pants type holster' which I slip in the left side pocket. So I can carry the gun while in the house, in the yard or going out on the town. It's easily accessible and does not show that I'm carrying a gun. And it's extremely comfortable. I wear a Magellan Fishing shirt over the shirt and it hides any gun printing underneath the fishing shirt. I have about 8 of these fishing shirts in various colors. All are 3X sized and are big and still work well. I would normally wear a 2XL size but the 3XL size fits me loose enough to hide everything under the shirt. The fishing shirt is light weight and quick drying material which helps me to not sweat and stay cool. And it has plenty of pockets to use. I normally dress to carry my pistols hidden. So I dress for the part. That's why I wear the 5.11 pants or shorts and both have lots of tactical pockets to carry stuff in.