P Series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kessl12

Bearcat
At my local gun shop is a P89DC 9mm and the P series 40 cal. Both are in good shape, come with 2 magazines and are priced at $325 each. I'm sure I can talk them down.
I'm thinking cc, I did carry a G22 so I don't think the size will matter to much.

Are they worth the price or should I look into something else? Is there anything I should check closely before purchasing?

Thanks in advance.
God Bless

roylt

Hunter
P-guns are obsolete but I still like them. You don't say what 40 as ruger made several.

They are not glocks but to each their own.

Welcome to the forum.

427mach1

Blackhawk
I've got a P94 (technically a KP-944) 40 caliber but I have never carried it concealed - it is just too big for me to conceal. The slide is loose and sloppy, the trigger is long and horrible... but it shoots very well and I've never had a malfunction with it! All that weight takes a lot of the recoil and snap that the 40 is known for.

That being said, the $325 sounds about right for one in very good condition, you've probably heard the saying, "condition is everything". If you are looking for a carry gun, I would probably consider something else, as these are fairly big guns. If you decide to get it anyway, I would suggest trying to get the price down. It never hurts to ask. I would field strip it and look for wear on the slide points, check the barrel for unusual peening, check the general condition, etc.

mcb66

Bearcat
That is fair price. However I've seen several police trade ins in the 240 to 275 range at gun shows around here. It is just a matter a finding them. Most were in good to very good condition.

Kessl12

Bearcat
Thanks all for the replies. I figured that would be a fair price.

My biggest concern is finding the parts if something were to go wrong.

My daily carry is an LCR 357 Magnum so the size isn't really a true concern.

I think the 40 is a P94.

Tough decision.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
i bought a P944 DAO last year. LGS asking $325 for it. I talked them down to $295. It was fillthy, but cleaned up nice. stainless steel. Sent it back to ruger for some new parts that were worn.They had the parts, test fired 20 rounds, cleaned it for me ....all for FREE. I now have a great gun for home defense. Just bought a Triple K leather shoulder holster that I saw on EBay.($84.99) I can now carry it in the cold months if I want. I think it is too heavy to carry a lot, but the leather shoulder holster is def the way to do it. It is very heavy, the p89 is lighter. You will do great with either gun. They both shoot well and you not be affected by recoil like in a lighter gun .good luck. let us know which one you buy!

As for price, it really depends on your area / state. That's a decent price for here in the South, I suspect in some states like PA and the midwest it might be just a tad high and in other states like NJ and CA a steal.... if you can afford the investment I'd get the P89dc but I don't think it is a very practical pistol to carry concealed other than in the Winter with just a coat or vest covering it.

"My daily carry is an LCR 357 Magnum so the size isn't really a true concern."

If you actually shoot the LCR much, it will shake itself apart and be retired long before the "P" series gun.

"My biggest concern is finding the parts if something were to go wrong."

Quite often you can buy a "parts set" on ebay with basically all the parts except the frame for pocket change.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I own both of those Ruger P-Series assuming that the .40 caliber is the P944. I am like Roylt above without his technical skills related to Ruger semi-autos.

I like the P-Series guns a lot. All of the P-Series that I have purchased were in the $250.00 to $290.00 range. I do not foresee ever wearing one of them out. They are over-built and I am happy with "combat accuracy". I am not a precision shooter. The only concern of mine for a part breakage would be from just a random occurrence which can happen with any product that is man-made.

To insure against that, I have purchased a spare parts set off of GunBroker.

If you are happy with the price, I would say buy it and enjoy.

If it was a stainless P89dc I'd buy it tomorrow... and I might if it was blue too... I tend to 'collect' the 9mm decock onlys... but then trying to save 25 or 50 bucks on a gun buy is kind of like waiting for the check from publishers clearing house....

demented

Single-Sixer
Parts? Yes, there is always that possibility but not probable enough I'd lose sleep because of it. Every P series I've owned either worked from the factory OR with minor work by Ruger worked from then on. Odds are if it works well the first couple magazines, you won't be bothered with any problems. I'm not sure the wear out point to these but I'm sure its well into the tens of thousands, at least in 9mm and .45, never owned a .40

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
One of my first guns was my P89DC stainless, and I carried it concealed in FL when I was stationed there in '90-'94. I carried it in a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. under a vest or large shirt. I also competed with it in local steel and IPSC matches (NWFPL). Only two failures I ever had were both my fault; one was a failure to fully seat the mag during a speed reload, and the other was a stovepipe I caused by limp-wristing it. Otherwise it has always digested anything I fed it. Yes, it's big and clunky; but then, so am I... :mrgreen:

You won't be disappointed. I still have that gun and would never sell it; that's how highly I regard it.

I often hear here that the potential problem with the P series pistols is they've been discontinued and so are obsolete because of lack of replacement parts....

now here is what I have never seen here: that a P series pistol has broken and the part is no longer available...

5Wire

Single-Sixer
This PP90DW .45ACP, Box numbered to the gun, three magazines, papers, sold for $455 in 2012. Never malfunctioned in 10 years and I'm pretty sure it would have fired M&Ms (peanut) if they could have been loaded in the magazine.

RugerPP90DWComposit.jpg