Finally - a new pistol for the military

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/army-new-pistol-sig-sauer/index.html

About time.

REV

Maybe today will result in a change. Maybe the US government will be required to buy an American made product from an American owned company unless there is nothing available. Surely S&W, Ruger, or another US company could make just as good a handgun.

But then the pockets of the folks deciding what is acceptable would be a bit lighter.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Jeepnik said:
Maybe today will result in a change. Maybe the US government will be required to buy an American made product from an American owned company unless there is nothing available. Surely S&W, Ruger, or another US company could make just as good a handgun.

But then the pockets of the folks deciding what is acceptable would be a bit lighter.

You'd hope. Although I don't care for it much the Ruger American would be a perfectly acceptable sidearm. The new M&P 2.0 line would be even better in my opinion. But Sig is a great gun as well. There are so many good ones out there now.

All this is clouded for me by the fact I don't really believe it's even as important anymore as it once was in the past. Are there any statistics showing how often a pistol has actually been employed in combat in the last 20 years?

I'm not saying pistols are not needed, just that I believe any of the top 5-6 semi auto's could have fit the bill in the rare eventuality a serviceman might actually need it to save his/her life. So, I'm kinda "meh" on this news.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Actually I think our military should have the best .... not just the best we can build.

I agree on buyin American if the American product competes fairly and wins, but if it can't ... too bad.

Ruger has never made a CFSA that can compete with any Sig. Either has S&W.

As stupid as the specs ended up being ... I'm surprised anyone stayed in.

350 pages is specs for a combat pistol ?

That is just flat out stupid.

They should have just bought 5 million CZ75's ...

REV

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Didn't the Sig P226 finish in a tie with the Beretta 92 that last time this circus was in town and the Beretta "won" by quoting a slightly lower price per gun?

I know revhigh's opinion of American makers in general but I wonder if the difference between the Ruger, S&W and Sig's products are really that significant.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
Didn't the Sig P226 finish in a tie with the Beretta 92 that last time this circus was in town and the Beretta "won" by quoting a slightly lower price per gun?

I know revhigh's opinion of American makers in general but I wonder if the difference between the Ruger, S&W and Sig's products are really that significant.

I honestly still don't see the problem with the 92 or it's need for replacement. Some complained of wear and breakages on them, but honestly what gun won't brake down if you run 10's of thousands of rounds through it?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
22/45 Fan said:

I honestly still don't see the problem with the 92 or it's need for replacement. Some complained of wear and breakages on them, but honestly what gun won't brake down if you run 10's of thousands of rounds through it?

Although I have no love for the 92/M9 I never thought it was THAT bad. It didn't have impressive accuracy, was really heavy, and was really BIG. But it wasn't a bad gun.

Of course the 226 flat out blows every other factory 9 away. Always has and most likely always will.

When an American company makes the best in class for a service pistol ... let me know ... because they never have.

Regarding American companies making best in class ... I'd say Ruger does in the MK series ... the gold standard in 22 performance and accuracy for what ? 50 years or more ?

"For CFSA's ? Not so much.

REV

tacticalreload

Bearcat
If the M9 is properly maintained, there is no legit reason to spend a bajillion dollars to get a new handgun for the military (who never uses them in combat anyway). Waste of money. Our money.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Like I said .... buy a couple million CZ75's ... problem solved ... INEXPENSIVELY.

ReV

Rei40c

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Like I said .... buy a couple million CZ75's ... problem solved ... INEXPENSIVELY.

ReV

No you'd enjoy that too much Rev :D I was checking out CZ's website, and I also caught a few moments of some of their booth at the shot show. What do you think of their apparent new found love of polymer? I mean they've had the Scorpion. But now also several polymer guns, one of which is new, or a new version I'm not sure that seems to be the main product they are pushing at the booth (besides the Bren rifle).

Kinda surprised me.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Not a fan of polymer.

Luckily, I'm coming to the end of my gun buying days. I pretty much already have all the guns I want and only 2 are plastic.

If the industry goes all plastic I don't care, perfect timing I guess ! :D

REV

Well the Sig 226 I bought has plastic inserts in the grips... every thing else is steel.

(Sorry, just re-read the post and see you were talking about a CZ)

Have made a decision over the last month that the next two handguns I buy will be Sigs. I had to go out of town this weekend and am carrying that 226.

Oh also, am headed back to the Sig Academy this June.

Note, Sig has a factory in Exeter, New Hampshire. The revered 1911, was considered a "dog" by WW ll vets. Prone to AD's, inaccurate etc. I see the same reasoning being used with the M9. I think the M9 is a perfectly good weapon. I know people with the civilian version that swear it is their most accurate handgun. Go figure.
gramps

Rei40c said:
Jeepnik said:

You'd hope. Although I don't care for it much the Ruger American would be a perfectly acceptable sidearm. The new M&P 2.0 line would be even better in my opinion. But Sig is a great gun as well. There are so many good ones out there now.

All this is clouded for me by the fact I don't really believe it's even as important anymore as it once was in the past. Are there any statistics showing how often a pistol has actually been employed in combat in the last 20 years?

I'm not saying pistols are not needed, just that I believe any of the top 5-6 semi auto's could have fit the bill in the rare eventuality a serviceman might actually need it to save his/her life. So, I'm kinda "meh" on this news.

Well, I know one former Marine who is here because he dumped an entire magazine into a rag head in Iraq. Told me he'd much rather have had hollow points as he wouldn't have felt it necessary to use the entire mag. I'm pretty happy he had that Berretta, even if it wasn't issued.

gramps said:
Note, Sig has a factory in Exeter, New Hampshire. The revered 1911, was considered a "dog" by WW ll vets. Prone to AD's, inaccurate etc. I see the same reasoning being used with the M9. I think the M9 is a perfectly good weapon. I know people with the civilian version that swear it is their most accurate handgun. Go figure.
gramps

With respect to WWII vets, I know of at least one Remington Rand 1911A1 that worked perfectly when it had to. I wish I'd had a way to keep it. But it went to another deserving Airedale upon my departure.

FergusonTO35 said:
The US could have avoided all this trouble by just adopting the Browning Hi Power in 1985 and be done with it. Problem solved!

Actually, they could have avoided it all by just sticking with the .45 acp 1911A1. It wasn't the folks who use the handgun that were complaining. It was politicians kowtowing to NATO.

Actually in thinking about this I think a double stacked 9mm pistol is a much better choice for the military than the good ol 1911... sorry, just actually really thought about it for real. Kind of like comparing a M1 Garand to the M4 carbine of today.... The good old M1 had a lot more knock down power but if I needed a battle rifle today and had to choose between the two the M4 would win hands down.

Latest posts