Feed issues on my P94? Possible ejector/extractor?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mas8394

Bearcat
New Ruger owner here with a problem! I bought a used Ruger P94 and have feeding issues. I've bought a new magazine in hopes to alleviate the issue. I thought maybe it was just a bad mag, but it still seems to jam up like usual. A good cleaning and struggling to shoot 200+ rounds through it doesn't fix the issue - was hoping maybe it just needed another break in from years of sitting in someones drawer. It's a consistent problem when I rack it. The nose of the bullet tends to rise up and get stuck in the barrel/slide, the casing doesn't seem to leave the magazine/get's stuck part way. When it does fire, it's a beautiful shot and second only to my 92FS. I've thought of replacing the entire slide, but I can't find the slide model without the safety. I do not like the safety on the P94 model, it's ugly. Do you think this is an extractor issue? Ejector? Is it possible at all to fix this issue without using a professional? Are there any trust worthy sites to buy replacement parts? I will be attaching pictures via photobucket to help illustrate my issue.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/mas8383/media/20161116_210635_zpsfz3y3z9k.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/mas8383/media/20161116_210632_zpsl3jwe4eu.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

20161116_210635_zpsfz3y3z9k.jpg.html
20161116_210632_zpsl3jwe4eu.jpg.html

roylt

Hunter
Photobucket is not my friend but what I could get to load makes me ask, how are you loading the round? sling shot method? Does this happen while firing? I mean after you have loaded and shot one round does the next round load OK?
What types of ammo have you tried? The case looks sort of like it may be a reload? Is the ammo factory fresh or??

Let us know and we will get it running. The 94DC in 9mm is one of my favorite!! Night sites are nice too.

Welcome here too by the way.

Dito... does the same thing happen when you fire a round or does this only happen when you 'rack the slide'...
I've been taught to never actually feed a round in but just hit the slide release or pull the slide back and let the slide feed the round freely.... and basically slam the round into the chamber.

mas8394

Bearcat
Yes it jams up while firing. If sling shot it, it'll definitely jam. If I slowly rack the slide, it'll sometimes jam. It jams with reloads, fresh ammo, high grade ammo you name it, it doesn't discriminate. I've tried Federal (I believe a federal recap is what is in the pictures provided), PMC, Remington, Aguila, Hornady just to name a few off the top of my head. At the range when ever it jams I usually have to give the back of the slide a "smack" for it to feed through... However, sometimes smacking it doesn't work and I have to release the mag and rack it/refeed it.

The one weird thing about it, a lot of times if I slingshot an entire magazine the first time around it'll feed properly... Reload the same magazine and slingshot it again, and it'll jam.

roylt

Hunter
Pic of the feed ramp. When getting a used gun you never know what polishing the other guy did. Some kitchen table work is no good. Do you know the old owner? Did he say it worked well?

roylt

Hunter
You could remove the extractor and see how it feeds. I doubt if that is the problem but I'm no smith, I just enjoy the P-guns.

Ejector could be bent and causing issue. Pic of that may help too.
The ejector should be nice and square. I mean up and down and side to side it should look parallel with slide etc. Hard to type what I mean.

From what demented posted above the first thing I would do is find some different Ruger Factory mags and try those with 'good' ammo and see what happens... everything else it seems requires someone that knows what they are doing and is familiar with that specific pistol.

Latest posts