Ruger SR9C Aiming, Sites, Shooting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, hadn't shot this gun in a long while. Plus, I have gotten remarried since I have been on here the last time. The wife wanted to shoot my SR9C just to see what it was like. We both shot it at target from 10-15 feet away. We were shooting at a target that already had holes in it but we taped a paper plate over it. We couldn't hit the side of a barn shooting. Now, we were kind of shooting down because of the target stand, not level like you would with center mass shots. Still not very much success. I figure we both can't be that of a shot from that short distance. I mean we did hit it some. Just questioning my aim in case of a home self defense type of thing.

Any tips?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
collegefbfan8898 said:
So, hadn't shot this gun in a long while. Plus, I have gotten remarried since I have been on here the last time. The wife wanted to shoot my SR9C just to see what it was like. We both shot it at target from 10-15 feet away. We were shooting at a target that already had holes in it but we taped a paper plate over it. We couldn't hit the side of a barn shooting. Now, we were kind of shooting down because of the target stand, not level like you would with center mass shots. Still not very much success. I figure we both can't be that of a shot from that short distance. I mean we did hit it some. Just questioning my aim in case of a home self defense type of thing.

Any tips?

At that range it shouldn't make any difference with the position of the target. Shoot it from a rest to see if it's you or the gun/sights. I doubt it's the gun or sights, but more likely your sight picture or some other shooter related issue such as anticipating recoil, etc. . :)

Thanks. Exactly what is meant from a rest? And sight picture? A beginner here so just making sure I know what you mean. I know it is probably shooter error. Any other suggestions on correcting it/them? Need to use new targets. I was thinking that I need an actual gigantic board to see where my errant shots are going.

Thanks

s4s4u

Hunter
Any tips?

I doubt the sights could be that far off at 15 feet but you never know. I suspect trigger control might be at fault. It doesn't take much of a jerk on the trigger or a squeeze of the hand while pressing the trigger to throw a shot well off target. My daughter couldn't hit an 8-1/2"x11" peice of paper at 10 feet until I instilled in her the importance of the front sight and proper trigger control. Don't press the trigger when the sight is on target, press the trigger while the sight is on target. Get a bigger target and observe where the shots are printing. I'd wager that they are printing low and left, if a right handed shooter.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
A rest is just a "V" shaped piece of wood that's secured to a bench and supports the front of the gun to give you a steadier aim. I made a fancy one but most ranges will have something you can use.

Here's a real simple one you can make, or you can buy one from any gunshop, or maybe even Walmart.

Rest1.jpg

Sight picture: The one on the left is what you want to see.

418d1342455108-proper-use-standard-sights-sightpic-bottompart.gif

s4s4u

Hunter
Anything that will support the gun and reduce movement will suffice as a rest. I like sandbags. A rolled up blanket will also do, but it should be fairly firm. I make bags from the legs of jeans from cut-offs. They can be filled with sand, or other material. My portable bag is filled with packing peanuts.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
One other thing you can do to help you troubleshoot shooter problems is to have someone take some close up video's (zoom lens ) of you shooting. Play back on a computer screen and watch for things like jerking the trigger, grip, stance, bucking, etc. The person with the camera/smartphone should get video of your left and right sides with good detail of your grip and gun. If you can, play back in slo-mo.

Also, if you were aiming (pointing) with both eyes open, you're dealing with a parallax problem. Both eyes open is often recommended for HD fights, but it requires some specific training and not everyone can do it.

websterz

Single-Sixer
Lead fouling in the bore can cause accuracy loss. Have you been shooting cast lead bullets?

WNC Shooter

Bearcat
I purchased my SR9c basically on a whim. A friend was selling it for a sweet price, and I had the cash in my pocket, plus and 'off the books' sale (fully compliant with NC state law as I have CHP).

Had it about a month before I got it out in the woods, and I put the first magazine full in a 3" circle at about 25', probably better than I shoot with my other handguns, plus I was just wanting to put some rounds down range and didn't really bear down. Shot it a bunch that day, and several days since, and really like the look, feel, accuracy and the short trigger pull. It has now become one of my carry guns.

kwh

Bearcat
Double check to be sure the sights, both front and rear, are centered in the dovetail slots.