Said goodbye to my LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought my LCP when it first came out, hoping to really love this little gun. I'm not that big a fan of the 380acp cartridge, and the small capacity of the magazine, but I thought it would be the perfect gun for concealed carry. But I hate to rely on a gun for self defense that I don't practice with, and I just hated shooting this snappy little gun. Even just a few magazines full made my hand hurt. So yesterday I traded it away and bought myself a new Mark IV as a consolation. My carry gun has been an LC9s for the last couple of years, and my backup in case the LC9s ever needs to be out for service or otherwise not available for carry is my S&W642, so the LCP was just sitting in the safe. Unfortunately with the prices of brand new ones quite low I did not get much of a trade-in, but felt no need to hang on to a gun that would never get any use. I've bought a number of Rugers over the last 20 years, and the LCP is the only one I decided not to keep.

DGW1949

Hunter
Well Vito, the LCP it was it is, which is to also say that there's a lot of things it aint. In my view you did good by passing it on. Sorry to hear that you lost money on it though.

If it's any consolation, I once carried a .380 myself, a '30's-40's vintage Colt "Hammerless" to be exact. As "fighting guns" go, my Colt was miles ahead of an LCP, but still it wasn't much...hence my speaking of it the past tense.
And yeah, I probably lost some money when I sold mine too. But hey, better that than hanging on to something that you've grown doubts about, or don't have a use for and really don't want.

DGW

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I have a very early LCP that has only had maybe 100 rnds or so through it. I'd sell it in a heartbeat but not when you can get a brand new standard LCP for 200.00. Even Cabela's had brand new LCP's for 199.99. I don't expect to get my money back but I'm not going to give it way either. Way back they were about 270.00 on the street. Ruger lowered the price of the LCP's to be competitive with Taurus so I've heard. I carried it a few times and it's back in the safe where it was for years. It might stay there until it rots this time.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I have several, or have had several guns I had too much money in for whatever reason. That's just the way it happens sometimes. But if I have something I KNOW I will never use, I don't like, doesn't shoot well, or I know prices aren't coming up, down the road it goes. Even if I take a loss, at least that's SOME money to go toward something else I would like

Odd man out here. I am keeping and carrying my LCP. It is a gun I can carry concealed every single day regardless of what I am wearing. As far as the .380 being an anemic round, at 10' with modern defense loads, it is every bit as effective as a .38 or 9mm. A j-frame only holds 5 rounds last time I checked. I am keeping mine and will continue to carry it nearly every day.

Dave

DGW1949

Hunter
Hey RR...It's hard to tell about Ruger, and when they might decide to discontinue something. So hey, perhaps it would be better to dip your old LCP into a bucket of Cosmoline and wrap it in wax paper instead of simply letting it rot.
You know?...just in case it becomes some sort collector's item one day.

DGW

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
Hey RR...It's hard to tell about Ruger, and when they might decide to discontinue something. So hey, perhaps it would be better to dip your old LCP into a bucket of Cosmoline and wrap it in wax paper instead of simply letting it rot.
You know?...just in case it becomes some sort collector's item one day.

DGW

I hear you, actually it's cleaned, it's been wiped down using a RIG sheepskin wipe and sealed in a plastic bag in a safe in a climate controlled room and a Golden rod. No chance of it rotting. I'd probably like it if it didn't have a 35 lb trigger on it that hurts to shoot more than a few rounds at a time.
To be honest I feel more comfortable carrying that old LCP then I do that new LCPII I got a couple months ago.
I'll save it for a rainy day. You are so right though with Ruger you never know what they might discontinue next. They estimate that 1.5 million LCP's have been made in it's 8 yr history. I read that in the American rifleman not long ago.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I actually shoot my LCP ok, and don't find it uncomfortable at all. The problem is, I'm a reloader and there is no way I have found to keep the brass within a reasonable distance. I shoot my carry guns frequently, I have no use for the idea of shoot a little/carry alot. Unless somebody gives me a really good offer on it I'll probably just keep the LCP for times when I don't want to carry a more expensive gun.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I bought a LCP when they were all the rage and Cabela's had a package deal on sale-----played with it for a couple weeks and never even shot it----I knew it wasn't for me and it went bye bye----still have the box of ammo I bought for it. Haven't even looked at one since--not interested.

toysoldier

Hunter
My first-model LCP has resided in my back pocket ever since I got it (after a one-year wait). I also have a Llama 1911-style .380 that I occasionally carry in a Makarov holster. Either beats a sharp stick. :wink:

Toucan56

Bearcat
Said goodbye to mine about a year and a half ago. Just too small for me to get comfortable with. Went to the LC9s Pro. Alot more controllable.

5of7

Hunter
I have 2 carry guns; an LCP and an LC9s. The LCP is on my side every day of the week as I live in a very small village in SW Mi., but the LC9s is what I carry when going to the bigger towns in the area.

I am quite happy with either one of them and they are easier to conceal than the 642 Smith that I used to carry.

The answer to the negative feelings about the .380 ctg. is to buy and carry the ARX ammunition produced by Polycase. Try it, you may like it. 8)

I won't say goodbye to my LCP, rather just good night when I go to bed and good morning when I get dressed in the morning and put it in my pocket for the day, everyday. I may replace it on a few occasions with something larger if needed but it will go right back in my pocket for most days. :D

Dave

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
To be honest I have mixed feelings. Really for what they are they serve a purpose. I think we all have to agree that a modern day 380 is better than carrying a sharp stick.
It took me awhile to consider carrying any 380 even if it's just for around the house or a 2nd carry gun. I think there's several better choices for a small pocket gun but for the price especially for what they are selling them for now days it's hard to beat the little Ruger's.

After owning the my very early model LCP for years and the LCPII for probably 4 months or so I know that I wouldn't buy another one.
If I'm going to get dirty working around the house , on the truck or just take the 4 wheeler in the woods for a joy ride I'd much rather chance damaging or losing the LCP then one of my better more expensive carry guns. So as I said they serve a purpose. My LCP's are here for today but not sure what tomorrow will bring. Allot will depend when I get my LCPII back from Prescott for the 2nd time if I will consider slipping it in my pocket on that rainy day.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
I own a couple of the LCP's and love their conceivability and inconcpicuous presence in my pocket or appendix IWB. Without hesitation, its not a range shooter; only to get it warmed up and test it to verify its functionality. I'm not typically going to be aiming at a threat more than 10-20 feet away anyways. It's a point and shoot situation in most cases. I'll take my Springfield XDM 5.25 to the range along with my Mark II .22. IMO,

I think the LCP is a well deserving CCW companion. The 380 round is certainly able to get one's attention without any argument. Hate to hear you passed it on, but glad you have landed another family member to your pistol stash. :)

Enjoy!!!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think the late model original LCP is a very good little pocket rocket. If I came across an awesome deal on one in stainless I can't swear that it wouldn't come home with me!

HadEmAll

Bearcat
Heliman said:
Odd man out here. I am keeping and carrying my LCP. It is a gun I can carry concealed every single day regardless of what I am wearing. As far as the .380 being an anemic round, at 10' with modern defense loads, it is every bit as effective as a .38 or 9mm. A j-frame only holds 5 rounds last time I checked. I am keeping mine and will continue to carry it nearly every day.

Dave
I don't believe you're the odd man out. I suspect you represent the vast majority of LCP owners. Dependable, concealable, easy to use.

I carry my LCP about 10:1 over my LCR for the same reasons you mention. Every range session with other firearms I pull my LCP from its weak side front pocket and do 3 double taps at whatever target suits my fancy.

I honestly believe my LCP has as much chance of being the pistol that "saves the day" as whatever other handgun I'm carrying that day.