This is different

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
a striker fired pistol based on the 1911?

http://www.hudsonmfg.com/product/

NixieTube

Blackhawk
It's a little chunky on the front end and that extractor is going to raise some eyebrows, but I like it. In fact I really like it. In fact the front end is so large, why not put a built-in laser inside there?

I guess the bottom line is: "How well does it work?" You can make it prettier with interchangeable grips and so forth, but the ne plus ultra for a gun like this is going to be top-shelf function. At over $1100 MSRP it *has* to function superbly.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Often I'm one to justify firearms that break the mold and do something different. In this case I'm left asking myself "why?". They appear to have made.. well another striker gun in the shape of a 1911. So I have to ask why not just buy a real 1911. I read all the company hype on the page as they explained the design but I am still confused on why someone would want this.

The design actually mirrors another striker fired pistol that has nothing to do with the 1911. The Steyr M-A1. To my eye at least it appears to be a very, VERY similarly designed frame. Try to image this frame of the Steyr with the rigged trigger safety system they've used on the Hudson H9.

In short when I look at this it appears they mated the top of a Steyr M-A1 with the 1911 grip, and then somehow at the end of the day called it a striker fired 1911. It's one of the strangest birds I think I've ever seen but thanks for posting it, I'd not seen or heard of it before.

yuUrXpL.png

Rei40c

Blackhawk
NixieTube said:
I guess the bottom line is: "How well does it work?" You can make it prettier with interchangeable grips and so forth, but the ne plus ultra for a gun like this is going to be top-shelf function. At over $1100 MSRP it *has* to function superbly.

My thoughts exactly, at $1100 someone would have to show me exactly how it is superior to a $1100 1911, or $1100 Striker semi auto. You could go home with a very nice Sig or H&K or a brand new Glock MOS Gen 4 and still be $300 under budget. I don't mean to bash it. If there is something about it I'm missing let me know, I want to like it but I'm just confused by it at this point.

If this is what it appears to be at first glance, which is nothing more then another striker gun in the shape of a 1911 we may be witnessing one of the biggest marketing failures in the firearms industry in recent years. It makes me think those that produced it either where not very knowledgeable about the firearms market and knowing what could be had from their competitors for an equal or lesser price, or they dramatically overestimated the desire of the 1911 loyalist for a striker fired version of their favorite gun.

I think this will fail.

modrifle3

Buckeye
All steel will be the draw to those that buy as well as a near perfect grip with interchangeable panels. The ability to modify safety is nice. I see them being under 1k after release. The muzzle weight will make this a very good gun with nearly no muzzle rise. It's kinda odd looking but I like it.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I may very well have called this one wrong. I've been watching shot show coverage and everyone claims the H9 is one of the main stars of the show. Apparently there is in fact a dramatic reduction in recoil that seems apparent even by watching others shoot it on video.

It doesn't change my personal lack of interest in it but I was wrong about how interested others seem to be in it. I really didn't think this gun would raise many eyebrows, but most of the reviewers making videos seem to have given it the most attention of any other pistol at shot show. The new M&P 2.0 is also getting a lot of coverage but so far seems to be taking second place to the H9.

My understanding is Hudson is in serious talks with sight makers, and holster companies to field new products for their new pistol in the near future. So it's looking very good for them in terms of the hype it's generating.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
This is all starting to remind me of cell phone or sneaker marketing. :roll:

Yes I think today it's even easier to generate hype out of thin air. All you need is a cell phone and a keyboard. There is probably a deliberate attempt to push the product on social media. It's perfect for an up and coming company that can't even begin to compete with the big names for ad time.

If you even casually browse youtube and search -2017 shot show. You are going to be lead pretty quickly to a video about the H9. It does appear to mitigate recoil somewhat. But they never mention what loads they are using. Hollywood actors commonly used blanks just barely powerful enough to cycle the slide for visual effect. I'm not suggesting they are doing that just making the point we have no idea what type of ammo is being fired in these demo's, they never mention that. I'd like to see the recoil characteristics of a self defense load compared to another common service sized pistol.
Does +p look the way it does in the video's I've seen so far? Or even some of the hotter non +p defensive loads? So far I have no idea.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
hpman66 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SzzESGiBiI
Hudson H9 9mm Production Pistol in the Wild!
Military Arms Channel
Published on Nov 10, 2017

+

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/11/jeremy-s/hudson-h9-9mm-pistol-gun-review/
Gun Review: Hudson H9 9mm Pistol
BY JEREMY S. |NOV 10, 2017

I just watched the video. He answered the questions I had about it. Mac is one of the very few reviewers I trust to give an honest opinion. It's not a gimmick, which was my main question about it. I knew when he fired the Winchester NATO ammo early in the video that that was much less flip than you'd expect. This was exactly the review I wanted to see.

You may have just cost me over a grand Hpmann :lol: I really want one. North of $1100 is what I'm hearing and the price quoted in the video was $1147. Something may have to be sold. I think it's worth it to me but I can understand how others would feel it is too much.

Yawn

Blackhawk
And no, this is not the same old same old... that is the point. The "it looks like a normal gun, so it must be the same old thing" idea is poor reasoning,

Mike J

Hunter
They are showing up for sale on line & in stores now. A guy on another forum I frequent posted that he had put one on layaway until he can sell a couple of other guns to pay for it. I think I am going to sit back & watch. Let the early adopters beta test.