New Ruger 22/45 lite - sight options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
More info would be helpful. Do you want different open sights? A red dot? A scope? What are you going to use the gun for? Bullseye? Silhouette? Steel challenge? Action or a speed game? Hunting?

BDRuger1911

Bearcat
I'm looking to do a lot of recreational target shooting. Spending time at the range is therapeutic. I really want to get my wife and daughter more involved and the 22/45 is easier to handle and much more economical.
I'm no expert shooter but I really like the generic three dot site that is typical on the SR1911 platform. Plus, being over 50 I need all the help I can get dialing in on the target.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If you want to stay with open sights, Ruger offers a replacement fiber optic front sight for the 22/45 Lite (http://shopruger.com/Ruger-22_45-Lite-Front-Sight/productinfo/12017/) that should make the front much more visible.

If you want to go to a Red Dot you will need a mounting rail and the Red Dot of your choice. There are a lot of good ones but buy a good name brand.

"I put a Bushnell First Strike on mine and the kids shoot it great. Inexpensive and works good."

If the purpose of the pistol is all range and casual plinking, I see no reason not to use a "dot" optic. Once zeroed, it makes shooting MORE FUN(my opinion) and makes hitting easier for novice shooters. I have a Fobus Kydex holster that fits the pistol with red dot so this is not an issue, either.
I'm in the "mid-60" age group and am finding it more difficult to align handgun sights well enough to hit small targets at medium ranges(over 25 yards) but the dot sight gets me on target leaving only trigger control to manage.
As mentioned, you don't have to spend a lot but also don't go too cheap-several options in the $50-100 range.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with Mobuck. A red dot for the purposes you mentioned make the addition of a red dot type of sight the best option. As we age,,, our eyes start failing us. A red dot is easy to use,,, and FUN for many casual shooters. If you have never used a red dot,,, I have one piece of sage advice; "The dot does NOT have to be "centered" within the optic viewer to be accurate. It just has to be on the target where you want the bullet to go." This is, of course after you have zeroed the optic.
I have taught a lot of classes to new shooters & the red dots are well received by most.
And as I have aged,,, my eyes really enjoy them as well.