Make racking slide easier?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sometimes if you load a single round into a magazine it's easier to rack the slide. Once a round is in the chamber you drop the mag and fill it.

There are a couple of devices out there that give one a bit more mechanical advantage. I'm not real sold on those.

And regardless these things are only good in an ideal setting. If you need to do a malfunction drill that involves racking the slide you could be in trouble.

Berretta has a few models that allow one to pop open the barrel and insert a round. The barrel is lowered and the firearm functions as a DA/SA in use. I thing the largest caliber is .32 acp.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
daka said:
Is there any way to make the slide easier to rack, my wife likes my LCP but can't rack the slide

It's as much a matter of technique as hand/finger strength. See this: http://thewellarmedwoman.com/women-and-guns/shooting-techniques-and-handling/racking-the-slide-of-your-gun

NixieTube

Blackhawk
With the Rugers I've owned, my experience has been to grasp the slide serrations tightly and then use some "snap" in your motion. Use the speed and combined mass*velocity^2 of your arm+hand in a speedy, deliberate motion to rack the slide. Then release it and let the spring bring the slide back into battery - don't "ride" the slide back. "Snap it back and let it go." Ask her to practice it a few times with an empty magazine, and then practice a little more with live rounds someplace safe. She won't damage the gun. They can be tight, particularly when they're new. They're made that way on purpose.

Cholo

Staff member
It's easier to show than to explain. I've shown this technique and it's worked for some, not all. Hold the pistol in your dominant hand. Grab the entire slide with your off hand where your thumbs are on top of each other but pointing in opposite directions. Push with both hands at the same time and let the slide slap into place.

Slide racking is an issue, but I don't see it as a major issue. The gun if fully functional without having to rack the slide again. If your LCP is not the II model, you're done when the last round is fired. If it's an LCP II, she can use the slide release or sling shot like I mentioned above. I really believe she can do it.

Look at it this way: Let's say she's carrying a six shot revolver. If six don't work, is she really going to be concerned about the time it takes her to reload the thing?

I agree with Cholo, easier to show than explain, but basically "Opposing": directions (across ones front), finger OFF the trigger of the "dominant hand" and the other hand cupped over the slide, and "push towards each other" and the muzzle pointed ,downward, angled towards the floor........they used to teach this to women who were rather weak or had gone through serious surgery and weak or NO chest muscles........use, do what works for you..........practice, practice, practice

Cholo

Staff member
You got good advise from several people, yet you choose to ignore it. As far as I'm concerned, you're on your own. Why did you even post asking for advice when you're not even willing to try it? I think you need to get out of the equation and have your wife seek professional help, hopefully from a knowledgeable woman...

NixieTube

Blackhawk
If she doesn't like it, consider an LCR in .38. They're very good guns. This is the basic caliber and power factor that police all across America used in their duty and backup guns almost exclusively for many, many years. The only difference now is that you've got more and better ammunition choices. Powerful enough, well-reviewed, technologically advanced, relatively inexpensive, compact, light weight, and no slide to rack. It's tough to go wrong with an LCR, and the LCR-x is basically the same pistol with an external hammer that lets you fire it single-action. She can put a couple of speed loaders into her purse and there ends the debate. :)

My $0.02 anyway. It's good that people have lots of choices. There has never been a better time in the history of firearm manufacturing in the United States to find a good defensive pistol that's backed by a major manufacturer. After all this (good) advice, if she doesn't like the slide, you don't have far to walk down the counter to find something else. You can buy lasers for them, and she can get one with pink grips if she'd like that.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/overview.html

PonySoldier

Bearcat
You might try this method. If you're a right handed shooter, hold the pistol with that hand. With the left hand, put the heel of your palm on the left side of the slide and use 3 or 4 fingers to grip the slide. Put pressure on the slide and 'PUSH the pistol away with the right hand'. You're not just using a thumb and finger to grasp the slide but using more hand stregenth in this type of function

hittman

Staff member
The only way to make it easier is to get stronger. It's possible that developing a new technique may help some but, not a great deal.

To me, the question itself is a huge red flag. This woman isn't going to be comfortable, and possibly not safe, using a semi-auto. Why so many people are so enamored with semi-auto's ...... I'll never understand. The LCR would be an excellent choice. If she is sensitive to the recoil of a 38 Special, buy a 22 Magnum.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
The only way to make it easier is to get stronger. It's possible that developing a new technique may help some but, not a great deal.

To me, the question itself is a huge red flag. This woman isn't going to be comfortable, and possibly not safe, using a semi-auto. Why so many people are so enamored with semi-auto's ...... I'll never understand. The LCR would be an excellent choice. If she is sensitive to the recoil of a 38 Special, buy a 22 Magnum.

100% agreed on all counts.

Mike J

Hunter
Here is a tutorial article that is very similar to the link GunnyGene shared but she describes a slightly different technique (read them all). http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/
If she cannot learn to rack the slide on 2 different auto pistols it might be time to look at alternatives. As others have suggested the tip up barrel designs made by Beretta or Taurus or a revolver might be the way to go.

daka

Bearcat
She has a Mod 60...but it is too heavy for EDC, I'm looking for a semi that is EASY to rack....
Please no "wise remarks" ...I'm asking for advice not asinine wise cracks.

MitchSC

Bearcat
daka said:
She has a Mod 60...but it is too heavy for EDC, I'm looking for a semi that is EASY to rack....

We went through this with my wife when she was replacing her Mod 85. She wanted a lighter less recoil revolver for simplicity of operation but was willing to consider a semi auto for size and concealment. I did some research to narrow it down and spent some time in the gun stores testing slides. My wife has very little upper body strength and small fingers. The Sig 238 was the only one I found that she could easily operate the slide on. However being a 1911 type firearm she didn't want to get in to learning about its operation. I kind of remember she was able to operate the slide on the Kel-Tec but we were worried about the recoil on such a light firearm. She was also able to operate the slide on a Highpoint, not a contender but I just happen to have one. She ended up going with a Ruger LCR 327 and is mostly happy with it. I think we will eventually get a Beretta 1032, if we are ever able to hold one, just to have as another carry option.

DGW1949

Hunter
daka said:

In all due respect, you've already received a lot of good advice from some very knowledgeable people...so beings how you seem to think that none of it is applicable to your wife's situation, perhaps the best thing would be to take her to a gun show or two so she can try racking a bunch of slides herself.

DGW

hittman

Staff member
daka said:
She has a Mod 60...but it is too heavy for EDC

Which is why I suggested the LCR.

daka said:
I'm looking for a semi that is EASY to rack....

Maybe a Titan or similar brand in .25ACP if you're dead-set on a semi-auto.

Mike J

Hunter
daka said:

Daka there is a technique described in the link I posted where the frame is held still with one hand & the slide grasped with the other. Then one rolls their hips. I seem to recall someone else using a similar technique where they rolled their shoulders. If none of that will work then suggesting changing platforms is not making a wise remark. It is just suggesting something that might work.

FWIW I bought my wife one of the Ruger American Pistols & she can rack the slide. There is a 9mm subcompact version out now. You might try that. To me slightly larger guns are usually easier to manipulate & shoot well. The P3AT's, LCP's etc. are very easy to carry but harder to actually use well.