Mk IV 22/45 Lite Scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
Mobuck said:
What do you want the pistol to do for you?
Not a snarky question but recommendations require more info.

This a a valid question. A red dot sight may be a better choice than a scope for some uses. A fixed power scope tends to be lighter and smaller than a variable scope, but the variable might be preferable for the situation. I have a small reflex red dot sight on my 22/45, but that is becasue the same sight rides on my 1911. If I were to use that pistol for small game hunting I would likely opt for a 4x scope.

If the goal is an easier to shoot fun pistol, a "dot" sight is the place to start. Once zeroed, the dot takes away the frustration of sight alignment allowing the shooter to hold the dot on target and squeeze. My younger DIL had never fired a handgun but had instant success with a reddot mounted 22/45.
For more precision at the cost of less usability(my opinion), a pistol scope will allow the shooter to extend the range of the package. While testing a 4" 22/45, I mounted a 3x scope and muzzle extension(to facilitate better stability on the sandbag rest). Shooting @ 100 yards, I turned out some 4" groups with not much effort and using a single type/brand of ammo(trying a different type/brand of ammo might have given smaller groups).
The dot sight is quicker on target while the scope is more precise at longer range.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The real attraction of the "Lite" is light weight and adding a scope will not only add a lot of weight but make the gun top heavy. I agree that a red dot, preferably one of the small "reflex" types is far more in keeping with the nature of the gun.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
A Burris Fast Fire III would make a nice addition to your Lite you can get a 3 or 8 minute dot.. I have a C-More on mine. I use it for speed competitions and like the larger 12 minute dot.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
AzShooter1 said:
. I have a C-More on mine. I use it for speed competitions and like the larger 12 minute dot.
Wow, that must look like a dinner plate! I've been considering a C-More for my MkIV for steel challenge matches but thought even a 6 minute dot would be bigger than I'd want. Maybe I should consider the standard equipment 8 minute dot.

A question about the C-More, if you change the dot cartridge, say from 8 min. to 4 min. and back do you have to re-zero each time?

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I've changed the dot and it stays zeroed but I do shoot it before a match anyway. A lot of guys say the bigger the better for your dot. Some I know are using 16 minute dots.

A 12 minute dot is only 3 inches at 25 yards. Easy to pick up on the target and very accurate. I now have 12 minute dots on my Steel Challenge 22/45 and my ICORE Revolver model 929 as well as my .22 revolver the 617.