Supressor question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I'm gonna get one if the "silencers are ok" law gets passed. And I'm pretty sure it is just waiting for the new prez. But, I am curious about cleaning and maintenence. On a 9mm shooting normal ammo, it seems like these things would fill up with gunk pretty fast. Is it just a quick brush and a little solvent to clean them up? Is there a lot of scrubbing to do if they are fitted on a high round count gun? Can someone put this is perspective for me?

tacticalreload

Bearcat
If you get one that disassembles, it's similar to cleaning the pistol after shooting. If you it doesn't come apart, then there really isn't much you can do with it anyway. The gun itself will get dirtier and will do so more quickly. It's not terrible, though, because you're probably not putting a ton of rounds through it at a time. Keep in mind if you've never shot one before, you might be surprised with the amount of blowback you get in your face.

As for the Hearing Protection Act... as much as I hope it's a done deal, I highly doubt that it is. Remember that not all Republicans are pro-gun or pro-Trump. Also keep in mind that they BARELY have a majority in the Senate. There is hardly enough to pass something without any dissenting opinions, and there aren't enough votes for cloture to end a filibuster. On top of all that, it needs to pass through committee assignments to even get to a vote.

Kanook

Buckeye
It really depends on what Silencer you buy. Some come apart for cleaning, some don't.

It also depends on the material used to manufacture the Silencer. Some can be dropped in a cleaning solution, some have to be hand cleaned.

If the HPA passes, there will be such a rush to purchase a Silencer that there will be no telling how long until you actually see one on a shelf for sale (think 22lr). The only hard part about purchasing now is the current wait. It is proposed that if the HPA passes you will get back your $200 tax, so why wait?

Kanook

Buckeye
blume357 said:
Here's a side of that... So, if we make a law that guns have to have a suppressor, then where does that leave us with non suppressed guns? Won't we eventually have to turn those in?
What law are you talking about?

Suppressing a semi-auto centerfire pistol is different than just screwing a can on the nose of a 22lr. Some pistol designs work better(or are easier to make work properly). It would be easier to suppress a design like the Beretta (solid mounted barrel reciprocating slide) BUT threading the barrel would require gunsmithing to remove/re-install the barrel.There are a couple of ways to make a recoil operated pistol cycle properly with the extra weight of the can attached to the muzzle and the can maker or seller should know the best way.
Cleaning also has variables. Some cans are dis-assemble and some aren't. The ones that aren't usually don't recommend use with lubed lead bullets due to the difficulty of cleaning/removing the lead particles form the interior. I've "heard" that a sonic cleaning tank will do the trick but I don't know this for fact. YOU CANNOT CLEAN THEM WITH A ROD AND PATCH.
My Form 1 22lr mufflers get cruddy enough that you can only remove the baffles by soaking with CLP overnight after 200 rounds. For this reason, I don't bother trying to clean them unless I feel the accuracy is failing.
The "host" will get VERY dirty fairly quick. The 22's we shoot will become soot covered around the bolt face, ejection port, and mag well within 50 shots and may begin to malfunction sooner than you would expect.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Thanks for the input. What is the "blowback" that tacticalreload mentioned? Is it a big deal?

Kanook

Buckeye
Shooting suppressed causes back pressure also know as blowback. All that stuff that usually goes out the end of the barrel, some of it is blown back at the shooter.
As long as you wear shooting glasses it isn't a big problem.

The choice of host also dictates how much comes back.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Kanook said:
Shooting suppressed causes back pressure also know as blowback. All that stuff that usually goes out the end of the barrel, some of it is blown back at the shooter.
As long as you wear shooting glasses it isn't a big problem.

The choice of host also dictates how much comes back.

Yeah... if you're wearing glasses, it won't matter too much. However, it's something that took me by surprise the first time I fired my Beretta 92FS suppressed. Some gas and unburnt powder and whatever can be sent out of the breech back at the shooter because of the back pressure, like Kanook said.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Based on all that you guys have told me, I think I would rather just keep wearing my ear muffs/plugs. At least they don't seem worth the effort (and, I assume, akward handling) on a semi auto pistol. Might be worth having on a 17 or 22wmr bolt action. I assume no blowback issue there and less cleaning. I'll go to the rimfire section and check with those guys.

wolfee,
Don't write off a suppressor to quickly. Find someone in your area that has one or more and see if they will take you out shooting and let you try it. They really aren't awkward handling, they do give some muzzle weight but it's not enough to really make the pistol or rifle hard to handle. There is blowback when using any suppressor, it just depends on the caliber and the gun on how much you receive. A bolt action is less just because of how it operates. If you cycle the bolt very fast, you will get some.

If the HPA passes, suppressors for the next couple years (until the suppressor manufacturers gen up to increase their output) will be a sellers market. Once the market slows down and there are more out there (just like all firearms), then it will become more of a buyers market and prices will stabilize/go down (as manufacturers compete for market share).

I do not see a law being introduced that makes it mandatory for suppressor use, that would actually (IMO) unite all gun owners, even those that say they is no need for the modern sporting rifles (because then they would have to suppress their Winchester 94 (which actually can be done)).

As for the $200 "refund", the most likely scenario that I have heard is that those that will be eligible for it will get a $200 tax credit for each of the eligible stamps.

All the HPA introducers want is that suppressors be handled just like any other firearm, no need for them to be under BATFE control.

As for cleaning a suppressor that cannot be disassembled, you can plug one end, fill it with solvent, let it soak, shake it up, drain it out and let it dry completely before you use it again. You can also put them in an ultrasonic cleaner, clean, drain and dry. Centerfire suppressors don't get near as dirty as rimfire, that's why you see a lot of rimfire models that can be taken apart versus centerfire suppressors. I have a demo model on my SR1911 and have put about 500-600 rounds through it and it doesn't need to be cleaned at all. That said, if you do shoot a lot of lead bullets, then a centerfire suppressor probably will need cleaned from time to time.

'Get your $200 back"? keep dreaming... I applied for a tax stamp in 2011 .... Government cashed my check then denied me... no reason for them to and no explanation .... re-applied and denied again.... but they kept my money.... best I can figure is my application was sent to the 'judicial department'.. this is the office the BATFT is required by law to have for appeals but they are not required to fund it... so those forms go in a room that no one works in.....

Kanook

Buckeye
blume357 said:
'Get your $200 back"? keep dreaming... I applied for a tax stamp in 2011 .... Government cashed my check then denied me... no reason for them to and no explanation .... re-applied and denied again.... but they kept my money.... best I can figure is my application was sent to the 'judicial department'.. this is the office the BATFT is required by law to have for appeals but they are not required to fund it... so those forms go in a room that no one works in.....

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download

6. Disapproval of Application. If the application is disapproved, the NFA Branch
will note the reason for disapproval on the application and return one copy of
the ATF Form 4 to the transferor.

All I got was "Denied" stamped on the application.... twice.

To go ahead and give y'all the 'back ground' information... in 1978 I was convicted of manufacturing Marajuana ... got caught growing a plant while at college... long story but I ended up having to pay $200. This is 'now' considered a misdemeanor in S.C. and I have a CWP which means I was vetted by SLED, the state police, this conviction was listed on my application and part of the process in S.C. to get a CWP is a back ground check through the FBI... when I cot the NFA denial I sent BAFTE copies of the conviction and the documentation that says this is a misdemeanor... still did not matter... now there is another part... the denial could be from something else....

I was one of 2416 people suspected of being the Una-bomber... no joke.... I gave a speech in a speech class in about 1978 (does that date sound familiar?) on how to build bombs and it seems in the mid 80's this was reported to the FBI and 5 years later they came knocking on my door wanting to know if I was blowing folks up......... no I wasn't. (The only person I've ever blown up was myself.)

So who knows... I wanted a suppressor for a couple of my 10/22's so I could shoot up at our mountain house with out bothering the neighbors down the hill a ways... since applying and being denied we've sold the house.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
blume357 said:
All I got was "Denied" stamped on the application.... twice.

To go ahead and give y'all the 'back ground' information... in 1978 I was convicted of manufacturing Marajuana ... got caught growing a plant while at college... long story but I ended up having to pay $200. This is 'now' considered a misdemeanor in S.C. and I have a CWP which means I was vetted by SLED, the state police, this conviction was listed on my application and part of the process in S.C. to get a CWP is a back ground check through the FBI... when I cot the NFA denial I sent BAFTE copies of the conviction and the documentation that says this is a misdemeanor... still did not matter... now there is another part... the denial could be from something else....

I was one of 2416 people suspected of being the Una-bomber... no joke.... I gave a speech in a speech class in about 1978 (does that date sound familiar?) on how to build bombs and it seems in the mid 80's this was reported to the FBI and 5 years later they came knocking on my door wanting to know if I was blowing folks up......... no I wasn't. (The only person I've ever blown up was myself.)

So who knows... I wanted a suppressor for a couple of my 10/22's so I could shoot up at our mountain house with out bothering the neighbors down the hill a ways... since applying and being denied we've sold the house.

If you don't mind, I'm going to use your story as an example when my son gets old enough to explain to him why stupid things you do when you are young and dumb can haunt you for the rest of your days. :p

Help yourself....

but as a side note... keep in mind of the hypocrisy of all this... I've been allowed in to work at both the White House and West Wing twice and met the president once (Bush the 2nd).