LCP II hurts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kodiak

Bearcat
Hey guys first time poster, long time shooter. Anyway, I sold my old pocket carry Kahr CM9 to get something smaller and got the new LCP II. Took it out today for the first time just to see what ammo it likes. It fired all five types I had with zero issues which was great.

But after 5 mags, the pad on my trigger finger was killing me and I could shoot no more. I could tell after the first couple of rounds it hurt to shoot this little pistol, which shocked me. It is so reliable, I wont be getting rid of it and will use it for pocket carry, but it sure won't see much range time unless I wear a glove or a band aid. Anyone else have this problem?

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
On my third time shooting my II, it happened (finger sting) to me, but only when I was doing aimed slow fire.

During point and shoot rapid fire, either didn't happen or I didn't notice.

I do wish the backstrap was more rounded however, the flat backstrap just doesn't mesh well.

I have the same problem with the LC9s.... not sure it is the trigger sting you discribe but it is not fun to shoot for sure... but that is not why I carry it.... So, about every month or two (too much work and not enough time to get to the range) I run a mag or two through it and hope that is all I will ever have to do.

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum, Kodiak.
Perhaps others have had the same trigger sting, and can devise or suggest a fix.

Remembering many of the Romanian AK rifles from years ago had severe trigger slap .

Kodiak

Bearcat
Sunset_Va said:
Welcome to the forum, Kodiak.
Perhaps others have had the same trigger sting, and can devise or suggest a fix.

Remembering many of the Romanian AK rifles from years ago had severe trigger slap .

Thanks, besides the trigger slap, I love the gun for CCW. I only wear 32 jeans, and this slips right in my pocket, whereas my CM9 was a bit large. I had a similar trigger issue several years ago with a Walther PPS so sold it and got the Kahr. But I'm not going to give up on this Ruger because the size and dependability seems perfect for me.

Hopefully someone on here has a fix, but kind of doubt it. I am really happy it shot everything I threw at it, round, blunt and hollow point ammo without a hitch.

Kodiak

Bearcat
blume357 said:
I have the same problem with the LC9s.... not sure it is the trigger sting you discribe but it is not fun to shoot for sure... but that is not why I carry it.... So, about every month or two (too much work and not enough time to get to the range) I run a mag or two through it and hope that is all I will ever have to do.

I have the same feeling with this LCP II. Like I said, I will wrap a band aid on my finger next time I go out to hopefully make it a bit more bearable. I am curious if the standard LCP would so the same thing. I dry fired an LCP at LGS, but never with live rounds.

jeremy060

Bearcat
Sunset_Va said:
On my third time shooting my II, it happened (finger sting) to me, but only when I was doing aimed slow fire.

I do wish the backstrap was more rounded however, the flat backstrap just doesn't mesh well.

Is there any solution for that backstrap? I shot the LCP2 today and agree, it needed to be rounded. The original LCP was more comfortable in my hand but I love the trigger on the new one.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
You say the pad of your trigger finger is stinging? I have apparently never had that problem. The web of my shooting hand will get sore after awhile shooting a small gun, I have an old model LCP. I am trying to figure out the physics of this and how it happens when the trigger finger isn't taking recoil.

gasbag

Blackhawk
I traded in my LCP after my trigger finger kept getting pinched.
It seems my big old fat hands are too big for that little gun.
Also, even with the extension on the mag I could still get only two fingers on the grip.
Bought a Sig P238. It's perfect.
YMMV

DanPop

Bearcat
Considering it's not a range gun, stinging wouldn't surprise me. I would suggest when at the range with this gun use Hickock 45's remedy, a band-aid on your forefinger. I have an LCP (1) and do not have that problem but I have worked with my hands all my life so I have thicker skin I guess.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Kodiak said:
Hey guys first time poster, long time shooter. Anyway, I sold my old pocket carry Kahr CM9 to get something smaller and got the new LCP II. Took it out today for the first time just to see what ammo it likes. It fired all five types I had with zero issues which was great.

But after 5 mags, the pad on my trigger finger was killing me and I could shoot no more. I could tell after the first couple of rounds it hurt to shoot this little pistol, which shocked me. It is so reliable, I wont be getting rid of it and will use it for pocket carry, but it sure won't see much range time unless I wear a glove or a band aid. Anyone else have this problem?
First off, congrats on your LCPII...it's a great looking pistol! Second, even with the slight changing of the grip frame and slide, it is still a very small pistol, that is (for gun size) chambered in a heavy recoiling round. All those P3AT's, LCP's, and whatever else that small, are going to hurt to shoot on extended sessions at the range. When I shoot my LCP, I put about 3 to 4 magazines through it, then that's it. Clean it and carry it a lot though.

Kodiak

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply's. I have shot other small guns that have not done this, including my Kahr CM9 with +p rounds and XDs .45. They had heavy recoil, but didn't sting my finger like this. The only other one that slapped/pinched my finger like this was a Walther PPS. I sold it because of the issue.

I will try the band aid thing, but I may pick up one of the LCP Customs and try it while they are still available if you search. The PPS had the same Glock style safety trigger as does this LCP II. It may be possible that is the culprit. But I'm just guessing.

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
Kodiak said:
Thanks for the reply's. I have shot other small guns that have not done this, including my Kahr CM9 with +p rounds and XDs .45. They had heavy recoil, but didn't sting my finger like this. The only other one that slapped/pinched my finger like this was a Walther PPS. I sold it because of the issue.

I will try the band aid thing, but I may pick up one of the LCP Customs and try it while they are still available if you search. The PPS had the same Glock style safety trigger as does this LCP II. It may be possible that is the culprit. But I'm just guessing.

Bad about your PPS, I have the 9mm version, and its never given me any problems, its the small pistol that acts like a full size pistol.

As for the trigger slap,sting on the LCPII, most trigger sting is vibration from the hammer, transmitted to the trigger although the safety on the II, is kinda sharp, and I am hesistant to do any smoothing on it.

I just placed an order from Red River Tactical for a IWB Kydex holster in Flat Dark Earth for my LCP II. I carry it in my front pocket with the factory pocket holster, but its not my preferred modeof carry.

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
jeremy060 said:
Sunset_Va said:

Is there any solution for that backstrap? I shot the LCP2 today and agree, it needed to be rounded. The original LCP was more comfortable in my hand but I love the trigger on the new one.

I put both a Traction Grip and a Small Pachmyer grip sleeve on my II, which helps with the backstrap too.

Kodiak

Bearcat
Sunset_Va said:
Kodiak said:

Bad about your PPS, I have the 9mm version, and its never given me any problems, its the small pistol that acts like a full size pistol.

I really wanted to like the PPS, but when you shoot something and it bites back, it's kind of tough to get warm and fuzzy with it. I posted the issue on the Walther forum, and it turned into a brawl with several in there basically blaming me, not the gun. Just because it doesn't sting one persons finger, doesn't mean it won't to another.

The LCP II is doing basically the same thing to my trigger finger. I did a trade for this LCP and can't help but wonder if that is the reason the guy wanted my M&P 22 so bad after only buying the LCP II new only a month earlier.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I had a LCP and it bit my trigger finger everytime out. As I recall it got caught between the trigger and the trigger guard on the reset. After a half dozen painfull sessions, I traded it. I got the keltec p3at and the trigger was better.

I'm really looking at the LCP II, but my experience tells me to wait and shoot someone else's first. These first reports are not encouraging.

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
I can understand everyone here that talks about the trigger sting. It can be annoying, but to me its just a lesser annoyance.

As long as my LCPII never jams, and by point shooting I can keep all 7 rounds in a 5" circle at 12', and I am going to keep researching until I find a fix for it, but it's not a factor that makes me want to trade this pistol.

Kodiak said:

Believe me when I say my reply is constructive...

Little bitty guns, with very little mass, with little bitty springs that must be really stout, and relatively small surface areas bearing against different parts of the hand can be uncomfortable...There's no free ride. It's a trade off between comfort or ease of carry.

Normally, a little gun like this is not shot a whole bunch. Fired for function, then put away. It's commendable that you're shooting it enough to be comfortable with it, but if your hand hurts after five magazines, then maybe stop after four.

WAYNO.