New to me P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I just picked up a P95 made in 2008. I have forgotten how much I like the P series. I have owned in the past 2 P90DC and stupidly let them get away (thought I need a newer style pistol all the time). I have never had the P95 as of yet, so this is my first. I have already put a Streamlight TLR-4 on it and it will be my home defense weapon and use it on the range also. I really like the double action trigger pull on the first round for a bed side gun. I have a S&W M&P9L that has no safeties and did not care for it as a table night stand pistol (reaching in the dark and not quite being my self as of yet. Never know if you will hit the trigger fumbling). So I really like the extra trigger pull weight of the double action.
This Pistol came in box with all paper work and both magazines. Looks new and probably never fired. 0 scratches on slide or barrel hood and barrel. Absolutely excellent.
Just wanted to spout off a little. I believe I like it better than my M&P9L. I have my Shield 9mm to carry along with the BG380. So as Hickok45 say's "Life is Good"
Pictures to come soon

OK, got it out and tested it today. Perfect. Also took some pictures.

welder

Buckeye
Excellent find. I have several and one resides beside my bed nightly. In the corner, rests a PC9, a perfect companion gun along with a few extra mags here and there. I trust my P series completely and have never had the first problem with any of them. Great pics too, thanks for posting them.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
jstanfield103 said:
I really like the double action trigger pull on the first round for a bed side gun. I have a S&W M&P9L that has no safeties and did not care for it as a table night stand pistol (reaching in the dark and not quite being my self as of yet. Never know if you will hit the trigger fumbling). So I really like the extra trigger pull weight of the double action.
For approximately 100 years the double action revolver was the police standard and it enjoyed a fantastic safety record. That double action trigger is better for a number of different situations and I think you have identified a prime one.

On occasion I consider changing to single action semi-auto... a number of my friends shoot 1911s, (cocked and locked) but since I own a 'few' Ruger P series pistols I've decided to stick with the double action/single action format.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Those have a stainless barrel, which is very nice. The blue slide can be maintained with relative ease and any light rust can be safely cleaned up with 3 in 1 oil and 0000 steel wool. These Rugers seem to sell at low prices because Ruger has discontinued production. This pistol will probably never need repair. Very nice find.

:shock: I found out how to put custom recoil springs in the p95 you will have to remove the retaining ring and spring seat and install any p89/p90/p91/P92 (Ect.) as a single spring setup with no retaining ring or spring seat (be sure to keep your stock parts just in case your spring is too strong) here is a picture to show you what I have done
31778cy.jpg
I looked every where and decided to experiment with trial and error becuase could not find anything on custom spring kits for the p95 hopefully someone finds this useful and sparks will fly to get the information out. Thanks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

welder

Buckeye
Thanks for the info and pic. I have often thought about this very thing but have not tried it. Glad to see it in place.

Since i installed it i have had to cut 4-5 coils of the p series wolff 13lb spring to allow the slide to lock back and to reduce feeding issues which at this point I will attempt to put the retaining spring and spring seat back on

It now works perfectly after I ground off extra material off of the slide lock and slide lock timing cutout and then installed the original spring seat and spring seat retainer. Is this awesome or what !
Here is some pictures of the filing i did on the slide lock and the slide lock timing cutout
2h3wx2c.jpg
34fe9i1.jpg

Not to critisize, but what is the reasoning behind the custom recoil spring? Especially since you have to do more modifications after installing to make the gun work right. Point being what is wrong with the original factory one?

"Point being what is wrong with the original factory one?"

Me, too. The P95 is one of the few guns I own that I have found zero need to modify. Personally, I prefer the DC models and have a PR95DC in my holster right now and a KP95DC is my "going to town gun".

The old springs were garbage (worn out completely and were not managing recoil on the slide at all :( caused feeding issues/damaging slide ramp/causing wear on barrel) This 13lb spring along with all the corrections has made the pistol much more efficient since then and i plan to make my own trigger with melted pop cans and then sand cast and grind it out to get rid of some of the miles of take on the trigger. I guess its my engineering mindset at work lol :mrgreen:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
SchussenMeister901,
I am usually like you. I like to change my Pistols around (just can't help but tinker) to make them mine.

But I do believe this P95 as was with my previously owned P90's is just plain perfect. Never had any trouble ever out of my P90's. Stupid that I thought I needed to trade them for something I desired at the time.

Guy's thanks for all the comments, I enjoy reading them all.

SchussenMeister901, Welcome to the Forum.

thanks for the welcome! even with all the problems the p95 did operate flawlessly I want to get it to be a little more "high speed" I will try to post a video and show a link sometime when i can get to it.