Loving my P95 and P89DC for IWB concealed carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I really enjoy the full size proportions of these two models, and since I've lost 18 pounds (on my way to losing a total of 70 pounds---hopefully to delay a complete lumbar fusion) they both nestle nicely inside my belt in my home grown holsters. Maybe three years ago I passed on a minty KP89DC with a neutered 10 round magazine for $300. Likely could have bought it for say $275 out the door, but at the time I was only carrying my beautiful Ruger SP101. Social climates have taken a change for the worse since then (at least that's how I perceive things) and I have chosen to raise my odds with a larger capacity personal protection device, and I now wish I had picked up that P89 then as a spare. I rotate the KP95 and the KP89DC weekly. Often they are worn at home because I barely notice them.
A wonderful gentleman here kindly provided me with two factory stainless magazines the are included in the cleaning and rotation schedule.
I have come to appreciate the heft and balance of these two rugged full size guns and don't anticipate ever returning to smaller choices for my everyday carry, unless physical problems necessitate doing so.
I just wish I could find some of the wonderful good deals on stainless P series Rugers some of my fellow Kentuckians have shared about finding!
All good things to everyone here. Don.

I agree on the choice of pistol but no way could I manage one of them IWB. If I have to go IWB, I use my SP101. The KP95DC carried in a Kydex OWB is my first choice. The major downside is there's the concern for vehicle seat damage that must be addressed-a good quality aftermarket seat cover lasts a year maybe.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hey Don, glad to hear it's going well for you. Even though I am 6'3/275 I can't comfortably carry anything bigger than my Glock 42 IWB. I'll hit up your Etsy shop when I need some leather goods.

welder

Buckeye
Always glad to see a P gun making the grade for someone. I carry one some but always in an owb holster. On another note, I added some leftover sandy grip material to a P95 last month that was left over from a Glock, man what a difference. The one complaint I had with the P95 has been remedied.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you each for the responses. I'm 6 feet 4 inches and right now 292 pounds. Some time in the next few years I will have to have a lumbar fusion because of degenerative disc disease, psoriatic arthritis complications yadayada. Two spinal surgeries have been done already with some improvement. Pain has become much worse in two years and losing so much weight is, right now, my only choice in staving off what I'm told is additional life-altering surgery.
The AIWB holsters I crafted for these two wonderful guns hug the gun very close to my vertical center line ( oddly I have love handles but a relatively flat stomach) and I perceive no leveraged weight like I fear I would with an on-the-waistband holster or IWB at a different position on my circumference.
As to the gripiness of the grip frame I've found something wonderful for me and it's free! I had an old children's bicycle and decided to examine the rubber inner tubes to see if I could cut them into big rubber bands. One 2 1/2 inch wide section of the tubes has small lines molded around it, perhaps to prevent slipping at installation, and I used a hobby crafting knife to carefully cut this section free. It took some grunting but I was able to slip this section up onto the grip frames of both the P95 and the P89DC. The rubber is very thin but has the very grippy molded lines. There's barely any added bulk to the grip of these guns but the inner tube makes swift removal of the guns from their respective holsters much more positive for me. A smooth section of the inner tube wouldn't be very helpful in the same way in my opinion, so I only get one grip treatment from each tube. They don't look too bad either in a do-it-yourself kinda way!
I shall continue to keep my eyes open on the rare occasions I'm in pawn shops or new/used gun dealers any more for another stainless 9mm P series Ruger. It would be nice to have a duplicate for possible future parts use of to replace one should something happen and either one become gone.
I hope good things to everyone here in the coming season and years! Don

welder

Buckeye
I picked up a couple parts kits off Gunbroker for my P89's and P95's Don and along with my other various parts I got from Ruger along the way I should be in good shape. I've seen a couple P guns come and go at Whittakers the last few weeks, all very reasonably priced. If you want I can give you a heads up if I see another one for a good price. Good idea on the bike tube as the ones I've seen are too thick, that's why I tried the skateboard tape, I really like the tape though.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Welder I would appreciate a "heads up". Because I'm a sweaty man in warm weather, stainless would be my only interest. And 9mm is my preference for economy in practice reasons. Whittaker's changed their website format and I don't see the "used" section clearly. I don't feel the need for a factory box or instruction manual I'd need to store. Just a nice clean looking gun at a reasonable cost.
Some folks just don't want the "old school" style DA/SA semi-autos, but to me, it's the best possible mechanical combination. I feel secure, prepared and capable with the P series. It was to me an improvement on the semis I grew up with (1911, Browning HiPower).
My best to everyone this season. Don

* I just did a little googling and found that the P94 is a 9mm. Did not know that! One of those would be nice too. Don

welder

Buckeye
Will keep an eye on Whittakers for you Don, their web site is pretty sorry anymore, I don't even bother with it, just try to gt over there often. I've had three P94's, down to one now in 9mm. It was made in .40 and later models of it were designated 944,s. Think of it as a metal P95, wonderful guns. Sold two last summer, one was new, unfired. The other was a like new decocker, I still have a like new safety version.

Tallbald gave us one of the 'secrets' to being able to carry a full size pistol inside the waste band. You have to have pants that are normally too big. His loosing weight allows him to get away with this...

I usually use an inside the waste band holster but I only put it inside the belt and outside of the pants for this reason.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
my KP93DC (9mm) is a little shorter than my KP94DC. Considering this as a potential CC, but as Blume carries it I think. I lost some weight, but not a fan of wearing baggy jeans....that already want to slip off my ass.

I also just 'discovered' vest... bought a 511 vest while at Front Sight in Nevada and it works well to conceal... can just slip it over my tee shirt when the weather is mild or even a long sleeve shirt and still stay pretty cool.

I spent last week working in and out of my house and running to stores around town and decided to carry my Sig p226 (think P89)... full size pistol... I open carried while working at home but just slipped the vest on when running out for something or chasing the dog down the street.

Shoeless Joe

Bearcat
I just stumbled onto this topic, and thought I might throw in my two cents. I have heard people say they don't like to carry a P95 because it is too bulky.

I have been carrying my P95 very comfortably in a hybrid tuckable holster from Kholster (late of St. Louis, MO). It is a Kydex molding joined to a large leather pad that forms itself quite well to my hip area. It is adjustable forty-eleven ways (approx.) for cant and height. Very comfortable and concealable. I don't use the tuckable feature much, but it is handy.