Ruger American Caliber Change Kits

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
I am a big fan of the Sig P320 and have 3 models on the list for this year. What I love is the modular design and this is what has drawn me to the Ruger American.

However, unless Ruger sells caliber change kits, what good does it do us. I understand the military contract etc, but has anyone heard any buzz yet about kits being made?

tacticalreload

Bearcat
The serialized fire control units in the RAP9, RAP45, and RAP9c are all different from each other. While the P320 has a different FCU in 9mm and .45, they are available in .40 and .357sig as well... and the compact / subcompact frames all fit the same FCU.

Personally, I'd be happy if Ruger just started selling replacement backstraps so I could stipple one without boogering up the gun to the point where it couldn't be "returned to stock".

modrifle3

Buckeye
tacticalreload said:
The serialized fire control units in the RAP9, RAP45, and RAP9c are all different from each other. While the P320 has a different FCU in 9mm and .45, they are available in .40 and .357sig as well... and the compact / subcompact frames all fit the same FCU.

Personally, I'd be happy if Ruger just started selling replacement backstraps so I could stipple one without boogering up the gun to the point where it couldn't be "returned to stock".

Interesting....wonder why Ruger did that. However Sig told me the fire control units in theirs were the same regardless of caliber.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Although after checking the web they are different. Maybe the rep was thinking P250!!!

modrifle3

Buckeye
tacticalreload said:
Possibly. Or maybe they just were thinking of 9 / 40 / 357 and not including 45.

Pretty sure you are right, because at the time the 45 had just been released.

I think I am still going to pick up a RAP just because I like the concept of the pistol.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
To me, the beauty of the P320's setup was more about the ability to stipple or modify the grip module without fear of permanently boogering up the gun for resale purposes. Beyond that, while it's nice to think that you can swap around parts and get new calibers or sizes, the x-change kits are priced to the point where it makes just as much sense, IMO, to buy whole new gun and get two mags instead of one and not have to worry about taking the frame apart when you want to go from one gun to another. I realize that the grip modules are also sized differently (small, medium, large) in diameter, but Ruger's backstrap system is just as efficient and doesn't require an extra purchase. Grip frames cost $40-50 and full x-change kits are like $275-400 depending on where you get them. Kind of pricey since the guns can be had for $450-550.

There are a few other things that bothered me about the P320. (1) The FCU fits kind of loosely into the frame so there is a LOT of play between the slide and the frame. (2) SIG switched out the design of the grip module and slide catch... but they didn't change the SKU number for the parts so you don't know which part you're getting even if you order directly from SIG (and they tell you they have no idea when you order from them). (3) Lastly, the triggers vary WIDELY from one gun to the next. You might get one with a 5.5# crisp pull and the very next one you try might be a 7.5# pull with a weird double-click that they sometimes have. This last point might be one of the primary arguments for buying an x-change kit instead of getting a whole new gun... since you don't know what the trigger is going to be like when you get it.

I love my "classic series" SIGs as much as any gun I've ever owned and I've owned a lot. The P229 Legion in .357sig might be darn near my favorite current production pistol out there. However, the P320 was kind of let down based on the ridiculous amount of hype you see floating around on the internet. Don't get me wrong... it's a nice gun. However (and I know I'm in the minority here), I like the RAP more.

Shiftless

Bearcat
Since the serial number is on the inside on the sub assembly and not the frame, it seems reasonable there will be a future system for caliber mods?
That would be pretty cool, maybe an American .40 swap out is on the horizon for us/me...
A drop in assembly to change a 9mm to a 40 or 45 would be very cool! Most likely a sight-in required, but should be cheaper. (you listening Papa Ruger?)

teuthis

Single-Sixer
My opinion is to get one caliber, learn to shoot it to the best of your ability and stick with it. Pistols are self defense weapons and one cannot practice too much! Just me. :)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Shiftless said:
maybe an American .40 swap out is on the horizon for us/me...
Have you noticed there is no RAP in .40, only 9 mm and .45 ACP? The .40 S&W seems to be going out of favor and some newer guns aren't offered in it at all.

Modern 9 mm defensive/duty ammunition is just as effective and the .40 is harder on guns and harder on the shooter than the 9 or .45.

Mike J

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
Modern 9 mm defensive/duty ammunition is just as effective and the .40 is harder on guns and harder on the shooter than the 9 or .45.

You do realize there have been entire threads devoted to the debate over whether or not your statement is true. I'm not really wanting to open that can of worms but this statement is definitely open to argument.

s4s4u

Hunter
However, unless Ruger sells caliber change kits, what good does it do us.

I don't understand the draw of caliber change "kits" when for not much more money you can have another whole gun.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mike J said:
[You do realize there have been entire threads devoted to the debate over whether or not your statement is true. I'm not really wanting to open that can of worms but this statement is definitely open to argument.
Absolutely. However, any claim that any caliber handgun is adequate/inadequate/plenty/not nearly enough/etc. is going to cause a discussion, often heated and usually not based on fact.

There is one fact that's easy to verify: The .40 S&W is falling out of favor.

Mike J

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
There is one fact that's easy to verify: The .40 S&W is falling out of favor.

That much is correct. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. I believe it has more to do with people wanting what the police & military are using than which is more effective. Of course there are trade offs with everything between one caliber & another & each person has to make their own decisions about what is right for them. My own .40's aren't going anywhere but neither are my 9's.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
s4s4u said:
[I don't understand the draw of caliber change "kits" when for not much more money you can have another whole gun.
They are far more popular in Europe where owning more than one gun is very difficult. A single "gun" (i.e. the serial numbered part) that can be converted into several calibers, grip sizes, barrel lengths, etc. provided a lot of versatility without the purchase and registration hassles.