LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LAH

Buckeye
Over the past few years I've carried a S&W MP9C inside my waist band with no holster or on my belt with a belt slide. This worked well most days but back before deer season I decided on something smaller/lighter so I purchased the LCP.

To shoot this little gun I purchased a 1000 rounds of fired brass & 500 Magtech 85 grain JHP bullets. I've not fired the pistol much because of hunting/fishing season but now there's time to run a few through it.

So far I've had the LCP out 3 times & fired a total of 126 rounds. The first 50 rounds were Blazer Brass 95 grain FMJ followed by several Hornady Critical Defense rounds using the 90 grain FTX bullet. All these fed without a hitch.

Next I loaded the Magtech 85 grain JHP with 2.5 grains of Promo for a range load. These also feed without fault.

As for the gun, the sights aren't easy to see but it can be shot fairly well. Targets are pictured below. I plan to run a 1000 rounds through it over the next few months. The only thing that bothers me is the my trigger finger is pinched between the trigger & trigger guard & 30 to 50 rounds is enough at one time. Then of course there is no slide lock following the last round.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

same gun I carry alot in a pocket holster , its been pretty good about feeding ,about the only problem I have with mine is when I rack the slide on a full mag , some times I'll have to give the slide a little bump but after that it feeds every thing just fine , even rugers ARX ammo does ok

5of7

Hunter
For practice I shoot at a silhouette of a man with no dot or aiming point. The reason is that I have not seen anyone wearing an aiming point in public, so I figure that I need to practice shooting to center of mass.

With the LCP and also the LC9s, I draw and fire without really aiming, other than just being conscious of the front sight's relative position on the target. Also I shoot rapidly as I certainly would if I were in an actual gun fight.

At 20 feet, I am happy if I can keep all or most of my shots on the target described above. Groups, if you want to call them that, run about 15" or so.

I really don't focus on aiming or sight alignment because I believe that is one needs to line the sights up and aim, it is likely that he can get out of the fight in the first place. There are exceptions to this of course. 8)

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I been carrying the Ruger LCP since 2010 the Ruger has not failed but once the head on the shear pin shear off ( take down pin) but the gun still function fine.
I must have more then 1,000 rounds down the bore ,my carry ammo Fiocchi H.P. and Hornady Critical defense ammo.
I been trying to get use to a 9mm shield in a IWB holster a little hard comparing the size to the LCP

LAH

Buckeye
Shot the little pistol again today. This thing has fed flawlessly so far. I settled on .955" for the OAL.
https://www.facebook.com/575376242613174/videos/741012946049502/

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
My LCP is my most carried pistol. I shoot it surprisingly well, for such a small pistol, but do wish it had a last shot hold open feature. In the heat of a bad encounter, I don't know how well I would be able to mentally count out six shots. I do carry two spare magazines with it though.

LAH

Buckeye
Like you I don't like the slide going forward on an empty chamber & that is something that will take plenty of training to overcome.

louchia

Single-Sixer
My EDC is the LCP. I practice without using sights. I feel a SD encounter will probably be close, 20 ft. or less, and fast. As stated by Hunter, if I can hit center mass at 20ft or less from a quick draw, I am happy.
I shoot mine regularly and have found that after about 1000 rnds, things happen. Just sent mine back to Ruger because the frame cracked on the left side. My last LCP had a crack on the right side, again , at about 1000 rnds.
Just my experience. I love the gun and cant wait for the fixed or ,probably, replacement.

LAH

Buckeye
louchia said:
I shoot mine regularly and have found that after about 1000 rnds, things happen. Just sent mine back to Ruger because the frame cracked on the left side. My last LCP had a crack on the right side, again , at about 1000 rnds.

Thanks for the info. :)

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
louchia said:
My EDC is the LCP. I practice without using sights. I feel a SD encounter will probably be close, 20 ft. or less, and fast. As stated by Hunter, if I can hit center mass at 20ft or less from a quick draw, I am happy.
Just my experience. I love the gun and cant wait for the fixed or ,probably, replacement.
What ammo are you running threw it ?
I did take a close look at mine when at the range the head of the take down pin sheered off.
The gun still shot but removing the slide was a little choir ,I ending up grinding a needle nose pliers which did grabbed onto the shaft and did remove the pin.I did inspect the lower half very closely did not find any crack in the frame.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I have been using mostly PMC 95gr FMJ, Yhe gun runs fine without any issues and low recoil,