Threaded barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Huntman

Bearcat
I bought a new ruger stainless target with bull barrel about 12 to 15 yrs ago. I have recently bout a supresser for it. My ? Is is it best to buy a new barrell that's threaded from ruger or have the one I have turned down and threaded? Any other options? Thx

Assuming you mean a Mark II or III in 22lr then the barrel is also the receiver and is basically the gun... I think it would be just as easy to buy a new pistol with threaded barrel... or have the one you own now threaded.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I'd probably put the money into a new pistol as well I'm not sure how much the barrel would be but threading services usually cost about $90-$120 dollars. But that's not the only downside. Larger well known companies who do this usually only do this once a month or maybe twice a month. They do all their orders all once in a day or days during a month they designate for that. Most state right off the bat turn around is between 3-4 weeks. That's a long time to wait. You could find a local gunsmith that will take the job and do it faster but the cost will likely to go up.

The advantage would be if you needed a more uncommon thread cut for some reason a custom order will give you the ability to get whatever specific threading you want. The most common ones seem to be 1/2x28, 9/16x24, .578x28.

1/2x28 from what I've seen seems to have emerged as the most common. I guess it just comes down to how determined you are to have THAT particular pistol threaded. If it's worth it to you go for it. Me personally I'd buy a new gun if the cost was only $200-300 for a .22 anyway, and perhaps sell the old one to offset that cost at a later time.

Huntman

Bearcat
Thanks for your advice. That's what I was thinking myself. I was looking at the 22/45 lite.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Huntman said:
Thanks for your advice. That's what I was thinking myself. I was looking at the 22/45 lite.

I'm thinking about getting one too. I can't make up my mind between that and the new SR22 that has the 4.5 inch barrel. It's not offered in a threaded version yet but if they combine the SR22 4.5 with a threaded barrel I'd be very happy.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Sad to say I have nothing threaded at all. Never have. The idea of a suppressor was pretty foreign to me because of the tax stamp cost and the hassle. I have the same questions now that the Hearing Protection Act may stand a real chance of passage, and the thought of free market competition and no tax stamp driving down the cost of suppressors is exciting. I have a beautiful 1985 vintage 10 inch stainless Mark 2 (cost me $225 NIB) just begging for a muffler. Long ago it was drilled and tapped for the Ruger optic sight and has been fiddled with (by me) in some other cosmetic ways so there's little collector value to the gun. Threading the muzzle is the most attractive option to me.
Good luck on your travels whichever route you choose! Don.

"I can't make up my mind between that(22/45 LITE) and the new SR22 that has the 4.5 inch barrel."

Just my opinion BUT if you take a clsoe look at the SR22, you'll find the barrel is only attached by a single (not very large)screw. Putting a muffler on the SR22 puts a tremendous load on that screw should you inadvertently bump or drop the pistol.
The LITE has weight advantages when the muffler is in place but I find it difficult to shoot w/o the can due to the lack of muzzle weight plus I see some possible issues with crud/corrosion issues between the barrel liner and aluminum sleeve.This is one reason I swapped for a 4" steel 22/45 with threads and I'm quite satisfied with this choice.
Having the muzzle of a used pistol you already own threaded is a viable alternative. I was impatient and decided to trade a MK3 I didn't like or shoot much for the new threaded 22/45. I will say that if you plan on carrying the muffled pistol in a holster, give the overall length some thought before making a final decision. The 4" 22/45 with a 7" muffler(equal to a 10.5" barrel length) barely fits the longest Uncle Mikes nylon belt holster I could find.

Huntman

Bearcat
I found a place to turn down/thread the barrel and drill/tap the front site back for $145. He takes it apart and puts it back together.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Huntman said:
I found a place to turn down/thread the barrel and drill/tap the front site back for $145. He takes it apart and puts it back together.

Seems like a very fair deal. The gunsmiths in my area are few and far between. And of the two I really trust both are always so backed up with orders there's usually a rather long wait. But it's nice knowing you can go pick something up down the road when it's ready rather than have to fool with shipping hassles.

The good ones are always busy.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Be cautious that the gunsmith knows what they are doing when it comes to threading for a suppressor. If its not done correctly you can get baffle strikes damaging that expensive serial numbered suppressor.

modrifle3

Buckeye
For just slightly more you can preserve the original pistol and build a dedicated upper that's lighter.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TS

The actual website . . . as usual retail is higher than other sellers.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/2245-and-mk-series-upgrades/