SR series future

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KZMAN

Bearcat
Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding the SR series continuing or being discontinued. It would seem that the American line is in direct competition with the SR line, so I wonder what Ruger will do. I've been hoping that the 9c would undergo an update like the LC9s by loosing the "loaded when up" indicator and maybe the magazine disconnect. Has anyone heard anything?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I haven't heard anything but I've wondered this also. The thing that makes me think that it will eventually be discontinued are a few things. Here are some of them.

1. Recent history with other their other products. For instance the old LC9 is out of production in favor of the LC9s, the new LCPII is out now and I'm sure the old one if not already is on it's way out. The P series, gone.

2. Ruger seems to trim the fat often which is probably great for their bottom line and the company profit over all. But as an overall trend they seem to like to update existing models then ditch the old design. Granted the American is not an updated SR but what they both bring to the table is now redundant especially with the introduction of the compact American Pistol. SR & SR compact Pistols vrs American and American compact pistols, in the same calibers and similar capacities even.

3. Rugers gone all in on these. This was not a limited test run to gauge interest they jumped in with both feet fast and are producing many of them. So they have already invested very heavily the the American line of pistols and rifles. And put who knows how many millions behind the decision to do so. So I think they are now invested in a irreversible way on that decision. The temptation to improve profits by elimination of an older pistol design with similar capabilities will I think one day be very strong.

That's just my thinking on it. I don't believe it will be any time soon but my guess is that very well may happen. Keep in mind these companies never stop. There's always next years shot show and Ruger will continue to design new pistols in the coming years. I think placing the SR series even farther on the back burner with their next design whatever it may be in the coming years.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The American Pistols are priced a bit above the SR's while the American rifles are "entry level" and much less costly than the 77 and it's successors so, they aren't intended for the same market segment. The SR series may continue as a lower cost line while the 77's have been reduced in models but will also probably continue as a premium line.

Mike J

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
The American Pistols are priced a bit above the SR's while the American rifles are "entry level" and much less costly than the 77 and it's successors so, they aren't intended for the same market segment. The SR series may continue as a lower cost line while the 77's have been reduced in models but will also probably continue as a premium line.

What do the SR pistols go for now? This past spring I bought a Ruger American Pistol for the wife to use. It was $400 from an online seller. Are the SR's less expensive than this. I never wanted an SR because I do not like Rugers magazine disconnect design.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
22/45 Fan said:

What do the SR pistols go for now? This past spring I bought a Ruger American Pistol for the wife to use. It was $400 from an online seller. Are the SR's less expensive than this. I never wanted an SR because I do not like Rugers magazine disconnect design.

I check around when I see them, the most common price range now seems to be $410-$450 and holding at for some time now, a few years in fact the price has been steady. I've seen no sign of a price increase or decrease due to the American Pistols.

I don't know how that compares to the American. I had assumed they where about the same cost but I may be wrong. I got the impression the American price may dropped slightly recently?

KZMAN

Bearcat
I just checked the msrp and they're $10.00 apart. I realize that doesn't necessarily reflect street pricing, but it would seem that at some point the American line will settle in at or around the SR pricing. Thing is, the American line is somewhat bulky and heavy compared to the SR. I'm hopeful that they don't discontinue the SR's, but like Rie40c mentioned, Ruger will continue to design new pistols in the coming years, so they can't keep them all.

Maybe the Ruger SR series is like the S&W SD series and the American series is like the M&P series. Wonder where the 9E fits in. IMHO it's a far superior weapon to the SD9

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't see them keeping the SR around for more than a few more years, especially if the shooting public comes to embrace the American. They kept the P-series around for awhile after the SR was launched, then dropped it once the SR was selling well and they were getting the bugs out of it.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Mike J said:
I never wanted an SR because I do not like Rugers magazine disconnect design.
The magazine disconnect in the SR pistols can be removed in less than a minute.

LCI, mag disconnect, manual safety, hole in the slide back plate... I don't care for any of them on my pistols so that has always kept me from even trying out the SR pistols. I'm sure they are perfectly good guns, though.

As for the price, the 9e is obviously cheaper. However, the others are about the same price as the American -- at least in theory. The street price of the American has been kind of hovering a bit higher due to new-ness, along with an impression that the SR9 might be on the way out eventually. This has been pushing the price of the SR9 down. The RAP can be found relatively easily online for about $400. Often, if you search and take some time, you can find them for less. As mentioned by others, I can't Ruger keeping both lines around for too long based on their past practices. They don't share any parts AFAIK (including mags), and it's not all that efficient to produce both when they are marketed toward the same buyer.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
That's one thing that irritates the crud out of me on the RAP. Why not use the excellent SR series magazine? Surely they had to expect that some SR owners might be getting into the RAP.

Mike J said:
22/45 Fan said:
The American Pistols are priced a bit above the SR's ... they aren't intended for the same market segment. The SR series may continue as a lower cost line...

I continually see this criticism of the American Pistol also...It costs more than the SR. If the American is 400-ish, is the SR-series substantially less? It sure wasn't less when I bought one. And for discussion sake, is it fair to compare this years cost of the American to last years cost of the SR? I would guess even the SR cost is higher this year than last year.

WAYNO.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
According to slickguns.com, the cheapest SR I could find the non-9e model with full-cap mags is just shy of $390. The same search for the RAP9 is just north of $390. I would conclude that it's fair enough to say that price is not really a differentiating factor.

As for the mags, my guess would be (since the SR9 mags are fatter than the RAP9 mags) the RAP mags were made smaller to keep the grip smaller than it would otherwise be. Since I never owned an SR and I now have nearly a dozen RAP9 mags, it doesn't affect me... however I do see how someone who has invested in the SR and considering a switch to the RAP might be annoyed. Otherwise, they look so similar that short of some tiny potential engineering problem with function, I can't image any reason why they would switch. It might seem like a big hassle from an SR owner... imagine how much of a burden it is on a manufacturer to design, tool up to make, and distribute yet another magazine style.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I paid $320 for my 9E in Apr, 2015. Add another $60 for a couple mags, and $200+ for holster and starter ammo. Many folks don't think about the "other stuff" you need for a new gun.

On a side note, re: the OP's objection to the SR series magazine disconnect: Just take the dang out. I did, before I put a single round downrange. :)

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Some people get a little leery about disabling factory safety features. In these days of BS lawsuits, I guess I can't blame them.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
I paid $320 for my 9E in Apr, 2015. Add another $60 for a couple mags, and $200+ for holster and starter ammo. Many folks don't think about the "other stuff" you need for a new gun.

Here was my wake up call after buying my SR40c. It was my first pistol.

1. Crappy IWB Uncle Mikes holster that I ended up not liking and never using again. $20 (wasted)
2. Leather off the rack belt that was not a dedicated carry belt and didn't do the job. $30 (wasted)
3. Deciding to instead get a quality purpose made carry belt and holster. $120 combined
4. Spare magazine pouch $15
5. Enough Gold Dot ammo to load both magazines that came with the pistol. $50ish bucks (2 boxes of 20)
6. Cleaning kit, gun oil, patches, bore brush. About $35 or so.

I spent $430 dollars for the pistol itself in 2012. And Spent nearly $300 in the weeks after. More experienced people will completely avoid the mistakes of 1 and 2 at least. But the peripherals are indeed something that should be considered before going to the counter. I think this applies to newer shooters more than the older ones.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
tacticalreload said:
Some people get a little leery about disabling factory safety features. In these days of BS lawsuits, I guess I can't blame them.

I've ended up leaving mine in mainly for that very reason. After all I notice no real difference in function despite others saying it eases and smooths the trigger pull. Maybe it does, but I suspect you are really splitting hairs at that point in terms of how much it really does improve the trigger.

My particular SR trigger at least is just okay at best. I find it very similar to the majority of striker pistols I've tried and honestly they are not that great. Knowing removing that very slight extra bit of resistance and contact in the trigger pull would probably not make that much of a difference anyway is the second reason I've left it in.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Maybe the Ruger SR series is like the S&W SD series and the American series is like the M&P series. Wonder where the 9E fits in. IMHO it's a far superior weapon to the SD9

Pure speculation, but it would appear Ruger recently has been trying to imitate the model of other larger manufacturers in that they have a variety of price ranges and quality available to the customer. As you mentioned Smith & Wesson can take you all the way from the SD series ($320 guns) into top tier firearms that may cost $2000 or more with their pro series and performance center versions.

If Ruger is now seeking to imitate this model they already have the perfect ready made pistol to fill that low cost niche. The SR9E. And I'd agree it's superior to the S&W SD9 in every respect. And I think potential buyers would see that as well.

So assuming that is the long term goal of Ruger to expand it's market into more various pistol pricing ranges the SR9E may be more likely to survive than the SR9 & 40. With the introduction of the American pistol the SR9E is the only pistol that is really doing anything different, which is providing a superior low cost pistol in a lower or equal price range than the competitors are.

I doubt they planned it this way but they do find themselves in an excellent position to capitalize on the current market by providing at least from the best I've seen, the best full size 9mm for $300. Eliminating the SR9/40/9c/40c series actually makes a lot of sense at that point and simply retaining the 9E. Which pains me to say as an SR40c owner, but it seems logical to me.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
tacticalreload said:

I've ended up leaving mine in mainly for that very reason. After all I notice no real difference in function despite others saying it eases and smooths the trigger pull. Maybe it does, but I suspect you are really splitting hairs at that point in terms of how much it really does improve the trigger.

My particular SR trigger at least is just okay at best. I find it very similar to the majority of striker pistols I've tried and honestly they are not that great. Knowing removing that very slight extra bit of resistance and contact in the trigger pull would probably not make that much of a difference anyway is the second reason I've left it in.

That is part of it, but the primary reason to remove the disconnect has to do with reloading. I count down and drop the empty leaving the last round in the chamber. That accomplishes 2 things. The slide doesn't lock back so no messing with that, and I have a hot round ready to go if needed during a mag swap. This isn't something new and tricky. I was taught that 50 years ago and it's stuck with me.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think the S&W SD9 is better than the 9E. SD has a stainless slide, 9E is an oxide coating that is not very corrosion resistant. SD comes with two mags and can use the old Sigma mags which are pretty cheap used. 9E comes with one mag and can only use SR mags. SD does not have a manual safety or mag disconnect, which is what most people prefer. Finally, the SD costs $20-30.00 less around here than the 9E, which translates to $40-60.00 less if you consider the second magazine included with the SD.