LCP magazine release issue.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SamV

Buckeye
I did a search but I didn't find a LCP post on this issue. I am pretty sure that I have seen this posted somewhere before. I have an LCP and while I really like it as a carry anywhere gun, I can't seem to solve the magazine release issue. To me the release button seems to stand a little too high. I cannot seem to not push it on firing the gun. The gun is going to move enough that my fingers will press the release and the magazine drops a bit. It doesn't fall free as one finger is on the magazine and my pinkie is under it. But it is loose, requiring a push to reseat it. Anyone remember seeing this issue pop up before on the LCP? Never had this happen to me on any other semi before. Wait, not true, I recall renting an LC9s soon after they came out and I kept doing this on the range. I can't seem to change my grip to fix this. Any help or references would be great.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Just a suggestion but have you tried a teacup hold?

I can almost hear the internet hyperventilating that I suggested anything other than a thumbs forward grip :D, but there was a time where this was taught officially. I prefer a thumbs forward hold also but in this case it may help. It doesn't mean you have to shoot every pistol this way but perhaps just this one.

The pinkie extension would make this uncomfortable. Does the LCP come with a flat magazine plate like the LC9 and SR's? I don't own one.

I have not had that problem, but you can buy a new mag catch for less than
ten dollars. They are easy to swap out. Maybe get a new one and trim it
down a bit. Drawback would be more effort when you did want to release it.
A few bucks and a bit of work may cure the issue.
Dave
Edit, Didn't ask but are you left handed.
maybe a grip sleeve would make a difference in how you hold it also.
Is it a finger or your right thumb that releases it?