Lcp ammunition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retro412

Bearcat
I was wondering if anyone has a reccomendation for ammo for the lcp. I sent it back to ruger to have the ejector replaced and during the inquiry about the problem I was having I was asked what type of ammo I use. I used multiple types of range ammo which I didn't disclose but told them I carry with hornaday hollow points. Ruger told me they have had some problems with this ammo and I noticed they test fired it with black hills fmj ammunition which I now have a few small boxes of. I'd like to know if anyone can reccomend range and/or carry ammo for this model. It's an lcp I bought about 2 and a half years ago. Any info would be a help.
Thanks
Mark

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Retro412 said:
I was wondering if anyone has a reccomendation for ammo for the lcp. I sent it back to ruger to have the ejector replaced and during the inquiry about the problem I was having I was asked what type of ammo I use. I used multiple types of range ammo which I didn't disclose but told them I carry with hornaday hollow points. Ruger told me they have had some problems with this ammo and I noticed they test fired it with black hills fmj ammunition which I now have a few small boxes of. I'd like to know if anyone can reccomend range and/or carry ammo for this model. It's an lcp I bought about 2 and a half years ago. Any info would be a help.
Thanks
Mark
Sounds like the pistol doesn't like the feed angle of the jhp bullet. Try out a box of the Hornady Critical Defense. The bullet nose has a slightly different angle and the hollow point is filled with polymer, which may help.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I have fired several boxes of Hornady CD in different LCPs. Never had any issues. I think the more tapered bullet actually aids feeding. I feel very comfortable with it and use for EDC.

InjunBro

Bearcat
I've used a variety of ammo in mine, my wife has an identical gun (LCP Custom) & both work fine w/ all ammo. They function perfectly if held sideways (a defense gun must work even if you're knocked down) & even upside down (don't know how THAT might happen but...). We use Hornady CD for carry ammo.

Retro412, welcome to the forum. I use Tula, and PPU ammo. My LCP is a first generation, and doesn't like hollow points. I use Gold Dots for the first two,( one in the spout and one in mag) then use FMJ ever after, including my second mag. FMJ gives you penetration, that hollow points lack. IMO.
gramps

tacticalreload

Bearcat
I believe that Ruger uses Black Hills ammo to test all their pistols that come in for service. I know they used it for mine in a different caliber.

As for the notion that FMJ is absolutely a no-go for the .380... there are arguably some serious penetration issues (or lack thereof) with JHP in this caliber, especially when fired from tiny barrels like the one in the LCP. So believe that FMJ is the only way to go since, without reaching vitals, you're doing much to stop the threat. I'm not sure which way to go with this line of thinking so I avoid the debate completely by simply not carrying anything smaller than a 9mm.

Keep in mind that 1" of penetration in ballistic gel does NOT equal 1" of penetration in a person. To prove this point, remember that ballistic gel is calibrated by making sure a BB fired into it will penetrate 3" give or take. Pretty sure that same BB isn't going to bury itself 3" into your body if fired at it.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I run Fiocchi 95 gr.H.P
Hornady critical defense ammo
I have a box of Corbon sitting around have to try it seem a tad hotter then Hornady

5of7

Hunter
I recommend Ruger's new ARX ammo manufactured by Polycase.

Try this; take two 1 gal. milk jugs and fill them with water. Shoot through one with the FMJ ammo or HP ammo, then shoot through the other with ARX ammo. You will be surprised at what you see. 8)

plunk111

Bearcat
I second the ARX recommendation. 5of7 didn't mention that it is superbly accurate as well.

Pat