LC9s problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

purchased a new LC9s with the safety couple months back, ran maybe 150 rounds or so thru it , mixed ball and HP , no problems , really liked the gun , then the other day when I was clearing it before going in the house ,( I live in the country and have my own range ) I dropped the mag then racked the slide ,checking the chamber , when i let the slide go forward something seemed off , I can't really say if it just felted different or if I heard something but I knew something was not right . I racked the slide again and tried to put the safety on , it would not move , I then put the empty mag back in and tried the trigger, the trigger would move all the way to the rear without firing the gun , no matter what i tried the trigger would not reset,

I thought about field stripping the gun but figured if something had broke inside i didn't want pieces flying all over the place, so i went inside and gave Ruger a call , I explained what happened and they said they had never had this problem before and would like to see the gun , they emailed me a shipping label , so I boxed it up and took it to Fedex and off it went , I got it back about a week later , the work order said they had to replace the SEAR SPRING and that after the repair they fired 24 rounds of Black hills 115fmj thru it without any problems , I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but it does seem to function ok ,

has any one else had this happen ?

Hickeroar

Bearcat
I would guess that it's a pretty rare problem considering Ruger said they had never had it happen before. I googled "sear spring" and got this:

In a firearm, the sear is the part of the trigger mechanism that holds the hammer, striker, or bolt back until the correct amount of pressure has been applied to the trigger; at which point the hammer, striker, or bolt is released to discharge the weapon.

I'm guessing that spring just had a defect and broke or something.

Your life or health depends on mechanical things working pretty much
all the time, guns are not perfect, not even Glocks.
The odds are pretty good.....most of the time....
Dave

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Hawk-in-Wi said:
...I explained what happened and "they" said they had never had this problem before....
"They" isn't Ruger, "they" is the person on the phone. I can't believe this is the first and only case of broken sear spring....

steelhawk said:
I had to replace the the spring I think you are talking about on an old P89. It worked great after that.
I could see that happening on a older gun , but its really disappointing on a gun less than 2 months old with maybe 150 to 200 rounds thru it :roll: