American Rifleman 12/16 issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
In case anybody hasn't seen it yet the Dec issue of the American Rifleman has an article on the new Ruger LCP II, and The pocket Pistol progression "A Wise Precaution". I gave it a quick read at 3:30 this morning. I'm going to read it again.
It's estimated that Ruger has made over 1.5 million of the LCP's since introduced in 2008. I hope I feel better about the LCPII when I read it again. I'm not real comfortable carrying a fully cocked semi auto in my pockets in a holster or not.

What is it going to do, shoot you? That will only happen if you pull the trigger. Good luck. Plenty of LCP's and Keltecs being pocket carried for 15+ years. No problems.
gramps

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
What is it going to do, shoot you? That will only happen if you pull the trigger. Good luck. Plenty of LCP's and Keltecs being pocket carried for 15+ years. No problems.
gramps

With age things wear and if the sear gets worn there's nothing there to stop the hammer from falling. I carry it in a wallet holster and sit on it occasionally. I don't need another hole back there if you get my point.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I had a 38+P LCR and sold it. A couple years later I bought the 357 LCR. I got 2 defective ones in a row . Instead of a 3rd I asked for a SP101 instead which Ruger agreed to do. I sure hope they got the 357 LCR's straightened out.
I carry the SP once in awhile. I should have kept the 38 I had it was good for carrying and very reliable,I just never cared for it that much.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I'm not a member of this other Ruger forum. Someone sent me this link about LCPII carrying concerns. I'm not the only one that has this concerning me. I've heard of these Uncle George holsters and he expresses his concerns carrying in one of his or any wallet holsters.
http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/general-lcp-discussion/23945-new-ruger-lcp-ii-concern.html

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The Kel Tec and original LCP do not have the hammer at nearly full cock when the trigger is forward whereas the LCP II does. That is why I and some others are leery of it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Still not convinced the hammer versions (Kel-Tec included) weren't perfected. The striker design always presents as a flawed design in comparison (without a positive safety lever).
Anyway, the original trigger was "good enough" for the intended purpose of the gun - to save one's skin by pressing the muzzle against an assailant's person and deliberately pulling the trigger until escape was available. That certain amount of cold comfort required for carrying a small caliber weapon in public is in finite supply apparently, probably a very good thing these days.
Re-designing the tiny machines to shoot "nicely" at target distances was folly to me.
Now give me a bit more "ears" on the slide to facilitate racking under less-than perfect conditions, and I'll be happier...

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
gramps
The original long double action only pull of the first LCP and Kel Tech 3AT is like a double action revolver. This much safer for a small hide out gun than a striker weapon with no safety. Most Glocks are service weapons worn in an belt holster where user has visual access, and are perfectly safe in this mode. For a concealed weapon under clothing, I prefer a long double action pull or an external safety. I think the OP is right to choose something else.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Still not convinced the hammer versions (Kel-Tec included) weren't perfected. The striker design always presents as a flawed design in comparison (without a positive safety lever).
Anyway, the original trigger was "good enough" for the intended purpose of the gun - to save one's skin by pressing the muzzle against an assailant's person and deliberately pulling the trigger until escape was available. That certain amount of cold comfort required for carrying a small caliber weapon in public is in finite supply apparently, probably a very good thing these days.
Re-designing the tiny machines to shoot "nicely" at target distances was folly to me.
Now give me a bit more "ears" on the slide to facilitate racking under less-than perfect conditions, and I'll be happier...
Very good post! The hammer versions were indeed perfected and would work very well if the user would take the time to learn how to use it. Tiny pistols designed to shoot at target ranges is indeed folly, the first concern should be safety.

plunk111

Bearcat
I have an LCP II and have been carrying it a bit and feel comfortable with the hammer being at full cock. Here's why... When I pull the trigger, I notice that the hammer doesn't just drop - it travels a little more to the rear before dropping. This tells me that there is enough angle on the sear to ensure accidental discharge is almost impossible.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
gramps said:
gramps

With age things wear and if the sear gets worn there's nothing there to stop the hammer from falling. I carry it in a wallet holster and sit on it occasionally. I don't need another hole back there if you get my point.
Nope, still engineered not to fire. You have to pull the trigger to get the hammer at "full cock", then it releases the sear with the hammer all the way back.

I carry my original LCP, along with two spare magazines, Monday through Friday...have been for a long time. It is designed to be that way and perfectly safe.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
usmc6433-6437 said:
Ruger Redhawk said:
gramps said:
gramps

Nope, still engineered not to fire. You have to pull the trigger to get the hammer at "full cock", then it releases the sear with the hammer all the way back.

I carry my original LCP, along with two spare magazines, Monday through Friday...have been for a long time. It is designed to be that way and perfectly safe.
You are quite correct about the DAO LCP. However Gramps sort of confused things when he started talking about hammer fired LCP & Kel Tech P3AT. The discussion is about the new Ruger LCP II, which is a striker fired weapon without a safety.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I really do not like a light trigger either on a pocket carry pistol. I tried caring the LCP (original) for a while and never really warmed up to it. I sold it for a S&W BG380 (Love that heavy trigger pull). They are not target pistols. Close range is really what you are looking for. I really like the way the LCP II looks but that trigger is just way to soft for me. I also practice when I pull my BG380 sweeping the safety off as it is coming up. I can not have the safety on a LCP II they do not have one. I am not trying to get a safety or no safety discussion here, they are always all over the place on every form. I am trying to give people another opinion and I like a pocket pistol with a safety.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
The LCP II is still a hammer fired weapon. It is not striker fired. You can review the owners manual and exploded diagram.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/LCPII-Ls6Gb8Dsk45.pdf

Plunk111 posted above that he owns an LCP II. He also said that the hammer has to travel slightly to the rear before it fires.

With the above said, would it be unwise to put the gun in a soft, flexible, sued leather or soft nylon holster? Probably, but I wouldn't put any semiauto in that sort of holster, only revolvers. For me a nice stiff leather holster is my favored for most hammer fired handguns, and kydex or crossbreed style for striker fired handguns.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro,
Good point! I assumed that it was striker fired from the pictures of field stripped pistol and the trigger safety.