FIBER OPTICS SIGHTS SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I like to ask any one here purchase a set of fiber optic sights for the SR9 and really can say wow what a upgrade compared to the stock 3 dot white combat sight?
I read also some say try to re-holster you may run into problems because of the taller front sight.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I don't have them on my SR but I do have them on another pistol. Every quality Kydex holster I've seen has a grove for the front sight to slide in and is usually at least twice the depth of the standard sight leaving plenty of room. I don't think you'll have any problem in that regard. The only way I can imagine this being a problem is if you already have a very snug fitting leather holster.

My only advice is don't go cheap on them. You can find some very low priced ones but these are usually the type that the plastic tube falls out of. Either all by itself or while firing.

There is an issue you'd have to watch out for when re-holstering which is banging the front sight on the edge of the Kydex shell, if you are using a holster of that type. I do that all the time.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have an FO front sight on my SR9C and it's the same height as the white dot standard front sight and fits any SR-series holster. ShopRuger sells the HiViz front in both red and green and another one in green and these are the standard height.

They also sell the "SR-series Sight Set" that includes both an FO front and fully adjustable FO rear sight. It does have a taller than stock front sight blade and can be a fit problem in some holsters.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
What also come to mind is to try to black out the white dots and see how double tapping eye picture improves .
I like the SR9 I also run some time a Glock 19 2 gen with the upgrade parts.
I still think the sr9 has a small edge over the glock the only thing I hate on the ruger is the small sights and at 70 years old the eyes are not what they use to be.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
lonewolf5347 said:
I still think the sr9 has a small edge over the glock the only thing I hate on the ruger is the small sights and at 70 years old the eyes are not what they use to be.
The "SR-Series Sight Set" offered on the ShopRuger site has a taller, more visible FO front sight and a taller fully adjustable FO rear sight and should be a real improvement. It's only downside is it won't fit some holsters but many do have sufficient clearance.

websterz

Single-Sixer
I blacked out the rear dots on my factory SR9 sights and it makes snap shooting much quicker with no loss in accuracy.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
can any one post a picture from the rear with new williams fiber optic set installed on there sr9 or sr9c
I also like to ask what is the front sight height>
The stock front sight runs .275

22/45 Fan

Hunter
lonewolf5347 said:
I also like to ask what is the front sight height>
The height of the Williams fiber optic front sight that's part of the SR-Series Sight Set (item # 12936 on the ShopRuger web site) is:

0.409" overall as measured from the bottom of the dovetail base.
0.352" measured as just the height of the blade above the dovetail base.