LCPII problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tradewater

Bearcat
Hi all, new forum member needing some advice/info.

Just picked up a new LCPII yesterday. After cleaning/lubing with Ballistol, I ran a hundred rounds of Armscor 95gr FMJ through her. Had seven failures to extract. Anyone have a similar experience? The little gun shoots amazingly well when it feeds and I do like it.

Try new ammo? Send it to Ruger?

Thanks in advance.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Well, it's getting broke in, so give it a few more rounds yet. Second, I have only tried Armscor in the .223 flavor, and it ran good and accurate for me, but I was running it through my Ruger American Ranch bolt gun.

Try some hotter self defense ammo, or some Sellier & Bellot 94 grain ball rounds. Mine will digest everything now, but at first it wanted fed hotter ammo. I have the first gen LCP, but I carry it the most of all my guns.

tradewater

Bearcat
Thanks, I'm going to pick up some different ammo tomorrow. Hope that takes care of it, because I really like the little dude.

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
I purchased a LCP2 recently, and have mixed thoughts about it. I diassembled it, and lubricated it, shot 40 rounds of Sig ammo , I found it to be very accurate and fast shooting. I had no problems in the 40 rounds I shot.

Like others have stated, ejecting a live round in unloading pistol, sometimes results in the round hanging in the ejection port, racking the slide really fast helps with that issue. I am going to shoot at least 100 rounds before I consider sending it to Ruger for that. I ordered and installed the Pachymayr grip sleeve for the LCP, and ordered an Impact Guns, mag extension. Now, I wish I had ordered the Galloway +1.

The trigger is really good, but I just have some concerns about its light pull, and as with any firearm, dropping a loaded non firing pin block weapon. It does happen, regardless of our diligence.

In my opinion, I wish Ruger had installed a manual safety instead of the slide release/lever , or included both on this pistol.
image_zpscq1vqmr0.jpeg

tradewater

Bearcat
Took a good look at the chamber and it was really rough. Got it gently polished up and it looks like the issue might be solved. No failures to extract for a full box of the Armscor. It is nasty ammo though.

The gun is more accurate than it has a right to be for sure. Ordered the 13 pound spring and stainless guide rod and put some white out on the front sight. Now looking for a grip sleeve that fits and it will be good to go.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Sounds like you solved your failure to extract issue. There's been a few of us with the new LCPII's that the trigger was not resetting. Mine was not only not resetting the trigger but it was also not extracting the live chambered round.
I got it back from Ruger last Friday. I've haven't gotten it to the range yet. However I've dry fired it several times and it has yet to fail resetting the trigger. Before it went back to Ruger it was constantly not resetting. I'm glad that appears to have been corrected.

When I got it back there was no mention of anything that was done to the extractor.As soon as I got it back I tried extracting a live round. I was still having the live chambered round get stuck on the extractor. I was making sure I ran the slide all the way to the rear.
This morning I was getting ready to take a picture for a friend comparing the size of the Sig P-238 and the LCPII. I dropped the magazine then I racked the LCP's slide like there was no tomorrow. I racked as hard and fast as I could all the way to the rear, surprisingly the chambered round actually ejected out the ejection port. I've never had to work a slide that hard to get the chambered round to extract.
I wanted to go to the range today but it was raining earlier then I got tied up doing other things.

DanPop

Bearcat
tradewater said:
Took a good look at the chamber and it was really rough. Got it gently polished up and it looks like the issue might be solved. No failures to extract for a full box of the Armscor. It is nasty ammo though.

The gun is more accurate than it has a right to be for sure. Ordered the 13 pound spring and stainless guide rod and put some white out on the front sight. Now looking for a grip sleeve that fits and it will be good to go.

Wait for Talon Grip, it'll be worth the wait.

I have an original lcp but will replace with lcp2 when bugs are worked out.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
DanPop said:
tradewater said:

Wait for Talon Grip, it'll be worth the wait.

I have an original lcp but will replace with lcp2 when bugs are worked out.

Smart move waiting until they get the bugs worked out of them. So far mine seems right after the trip back to Prescott. Time will tell when I get it to the range.

I'm happy with the grip as it is on the LCPII. I probably should to look into the stainless guide rod but it will get cleaned and lubricated often if it's shot or not like all my carry guns.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Yep, I like this little gun but I'm going to wait for all the bugs to shake out first. I also want to see if there are any reports of accidental discharge.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I'm with you Ferguson even though I already have one the new LCPII's. I've also thought about the possibilities of A/D's and that does concern me some. The couple times I have carried it so far I have it in my wallet holster and don't take it out when I sit. I would hope that Ruger did some extensive researching and testing before releasing them. My wallet holster completely covers the trigger so that doesn't concern me but what if is the big question..

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
I'm with you Ferguson even though I already have one the new LCPII's. I've also thought about the possibilities of A/D's and that does concern me some. The couple times I have carried it so far I have it in my wallet holster and don't take it out when I sit. I would hope that Ruger did some extensive researching and testing before releasing them. My wallet holster completely covers the trigger so that doesn't concern me but what if is the big question..

I agree with what you said, the lighter trigger on the LCP II is the only concern of mine about the litlle pistol. It makes it the great pistol it is, but is something to make you think.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I would like to or want to think Ruger has tested this design and not going to leave themselves open to class action lawsuits. As we know their are ambulance chasers everywhere looking for an opportunity.
God forbid there are A/D's it won't take long for the news to spread and law suits start to fly. I'm not saying I'm sorry I bought this LCPII but I wish I had waited longer to see if there was any repercussions.
Time will tell. Like with any firearm we have to practice safe handling and treats all firearms as if they are loaded.

flyinfred

Blackhawk
Took our new LCP II to the range yesterday. Although we both loved the trigger and new grip, it had
several episodes of failing to eject or jamming while feeding a new round. This is a new to us
problem as we both had the original LCP's and neither of them ever, EVER jammed or had any problems!
I am hoping that feeding it just FMJ's for a while will solve this but want to be able to feed it JHP's at some time
in the future.
It seemed to work better with the supplied magazine than with the older original LCP mags....not sure if there
is any difference.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The light trigger isn't so much a concern to me as the nearly full cock hammer with only the sear holding it back. It just seems to me that parts wear or an impact to just the right spot could cause the sear to disengage, letting the hammer fall. I'm not so concerned about it on the original because the hammer is only cocked about halfway and probably doesn't have enough energy to fire in this position.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I hate hearing that flyinfred.
I polished the feed ramp on mine before I took it to the range. I only took it to the range once before it's trip back to Ruger and it never missed a beat using Rem/UMC FMJ. I was quite happy until other stuff appeared.
I haven't had the chance to take it back out since getting it back from Prescott.

I'm just guessing they might have some bad barrels or possibly some with bad chambers. Mine fired 60 flawless rnds and I told them that when it went back to Ruger for the trigger not resetting and having a problem extracting live chambered rounds manually with 2 different brands of factory 380 ammo getting the same results.
When I got the gun back they had replaced the barrel that seemed perfectly fine to me. They test fired it with something like 24 rounds of Black Hills ammo.
Frist thing I did was re-cleaned the gun and polished the feed ramp on the replaced barrel even though they said there were no malfunctions.
I would suggest trying different ammo and put a few more through it. It might need a little breaking in.
I'm sure Ruger has seen several back already with problems. I get that impression just reading the different issues people are experiencing here. I hope you can get it squared away.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I finally took my LCPII that Ruger repaired to the range today. I fired 90 flawless round through it. It never missed a beat. That put's it close to 200 rnds between what I've fired and what Ruger claims to have fired. I guess I can trust it if for nothing more than a back up gun.
I carry my Sig P938 everywhere I go and the few times I have carried my early production LCP and now this LCPII was basically just for back up.

I noticed today it seemed to be shooting a little to the left. The first time I had it out I didn't notice that when it dawned on me Ruger replaced the barrel when it was back at Prescott. It's still plenty accurate enough for what it was designed to be. I doubt it will get fired again anytime soon,it did what I wanted it to do so that's good enough for me.