LCPII problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

anthonypistone

Bearcat
hey all...new here...bought the original LCP when it came out for my wife...that didn't last long...the trigger pull was the deal breaker...when I took it I spent many hours practicing until I was able to group acceptable shots but only carried it on occasions where my G26 didn't quite fit the occasion...went to the LCP II a few weeks ago and I am very pleased with it...no failures of any kind...and my shot grouping is greatly improved...I trust this gun...as a senior guy my waistline isn't what it used to be and IWB or OWB just isn't for me any longer...bought an extra mag and a DeSantis Super Fly holster and I'm now good to go...I did find that extracting a live round in the chamber requires the slide to go all the way back...and cosmetically the blueing on the barrel is already looking worn which bothers me as I am very fixated on keeping my guns looking like new...like the original LCP I clean it every time I use it...and I know it like to be "wet" so I keep it lubed...anyway good luck to all new LCP owners...I really think you older guys will love this gun...Tony

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
New articular in Guns + Ammo I think that states the clips being interchanged will not work right..? Supposed to use the clips that came with it. Statement said that you can't use the 7 round original clips in the 2...

anthonypistone

Bearcat
you can use the original clip...it will work...but the slide will NOT stay open...not sure about the 7...

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I looked at the LCP II and Kimber Micro .380 (Colt Mustang copy) side by side at the fun store. The Micro is dimensionally identical to the Sig P238 and Colt Mustang. It weighs a bit more and the grip is slightly longer than the LCP II, neither of which would be a problem for me. The Slide on the LCP II is actually a tiny bit longer. The Micro feels much better in the hand to me, has better sights mounted in dovetails, and has a passive firing pin safety, which the LCP does not. Any of the LCP's will get the job done as far as being an up close and personal defense piece but, for my money, one of the Mustang copies is just a better way to go in every way so that is what I am going with when the time comes.

plunk111

Bearcat
I, too, just purchased an LCP II and took it to the range the next day. I shot PMC, Herters, SIG (both hardball and defense), and Ruger ARX (my preferred defense round). After 2 trips, I have "deduced" that mine will NOT reliably cycle SIG (either type). I had zero failures with all the other ammo and about 1 out of 3 FTEs or stovepipes with the SIG ammo. Has anyone else experienced this? Most of the reviews I see seem to say that the SIG ammo works great. I would REALLY like a pistol that isn't "finicky", but I guess I can live with it... I have now put about 150 rounds through it and the SIG ammo still malfunctions.

Thoughts? I emailed Ruger and they, basically, said "don't use SIG ammo".

Pat

[EDIT: The FTEs were "failures to extract" - sorry if there was any confusion...]

sbugajsk

Bearcat
I just shot mine for the first time yesterday. I ran 1 box of Armscor through it and had about 7 failure to extracts and 1 failure to feed. it was all random as far as what round it happened on. Hopefully it's just the Armscor ammo. In some cases, the spent casing was left in the chamber and the next live round was nosed up into the butt of the spent shell. Other times the spent casing might have been 3/4 out of the chamber. Either way it was not an easy tap and rack malfunction clear, so I am not trusting this for my CCW until it get it worked out. My extractor looks fine so I am really hoping it's the ammo and maybe a little bit of a break in issue. I'll try different ammo next time and see if I can up date for you guys.

hotshot

Bearcat
LCP11 problem with manual ejecting live rounds, will jam with mag in or out. also tried with older style mag and still will not eject without round hanging up.Gun fires without any problems. It is a safety issue. Tried 3 kinds of ammo with no change. Calling Ruger tomorrow.

Be sure to lube the rails with grease, before firing first time. That will help extraction problems. I have had these problems with a S&W 4506, and a Keltec P-11. A quick " buff and puff" cured the extraction problems. Good luck.
gramps

hotshot

Bearcat
Talked to Ruger on ejection live round issue...they said it is because of the close tolerances and not changeable. Advised to rack the slide as hard as possible with gun angled sideways. Some online say the SIG also can act this way.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
A lot of small pistols have trouble ejecting live rounds. My LCP behaves this way sometimes. Many report that the Seecamp will not reliably eject unfired rounds.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I shipped mine back to Prescott this morning for the 2nd time. The first time they corrected the trigger not resetting. That issue has been right ever since.
Now there is another problem.
The Take Down pin keeps walking out while shooting it.
I hadn't paid any attention to it when I did notice it for the first time it was probably out 1/4" or more . I pushed it in and it continued walking back out as I was shooting it.
I tried a couple of different factory Ruger T.D.pins and tried a Tandemkross T.D.Pin with the same results. Something isn't right with that spring wire in the frame most likely. I would imagine that's replaceable. I can just imagine shooting it and not realize it until the pins falls out and the slide comes back at you like a Missile.

Then I mentioned the excess play in the slide both on the rear and the front when it's cocked. When it's cocked it teeter totter on both sides at the rear of the slide. Then on the front if you apply downward pressure on the top of the slide there is quite a bit of up and downward movement that isn't there when it's uncocked. If you put one finger going across the top of the slide then another on the bottom of the Polymer frame apply some upward ,then release it and watch that slide move.

I also questioned about carrying the LCPII fully cocked with a chambered round with nothing more than a Trigger blade safety. That is my biggest concern.

They should have it by Friday.
I've only had a couple Ruger semi autos other than my SR1911's. Maybe it's the nature of the beast but something I don't remember on any of my other Non Ruger semi autos that sloppy or loose slide movement when it's cocked.

Oh I also mentioned how hard it is to extract a chambered round and was told basically the same thing that hotshot was told. She said try holding it sideways and work it hard. I told her I had pretty much already figured that out, I found that when I rack the slide real hard to the rear it worked allot better then just working it as I normally would. I wasn't sure if that was normal or if that was another problem they were having with them.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
Saddened, but it sounds like I won't be adding one of these LCP-2's to my Ruger family.
Too many bugs and weirdness for me. I can handle an occasional hiccup, but this all sounds like acid reflux disease going on. Good luck everyone who owns one. Stay safe and watch your ejections. :)

NEXT...!!!!

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
USMCXD said:
Saddened, but it sounds like I won't be adding one of these LCP-2's to my Ruger family.
Too many bugs and weirdness for me. I can handle an occasional hiccup, but this all sounds like acid reflux disease going on. Good luck everyone who owns one. Stay safe and watch your ejections. :)

NEXT...!!!!

That would be my advice to you. It would be one thing if it were just one but just read on this forum alone the problems that have been reported. Think of how many haven't been.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My late model LCP I has been a very good $200.00 pistol. That said I am not going to even seriously consider the LCP II. It seems like once again Ruger spent years getting the bugs out of the original to the point that they are usually 100% out of the box and most buyers are quite happy. Then, Ruger rolls out a replacement which offers some improvements but at the expense of more years of returns and revisions.

I had high hopes for the next LCP, which I assumed would be striker fired with a decent trigger pull, real sights, and a passive firing pin safety. And maybe the brass would land in the same zip code. Instead, we got a gun with a better trigger pull and grip but a fully cocked hammer with no firing pin safety and most of the same problems the LCP had the first time around.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
My late model LCP I has been a very good $200.00 pistol. That said I am not going to even seriously consider the LCP II. It seems like once again Ruger spent years getting the bugs out of the original to the point that they are usually 100% out of the box and most buyers are quite happy. Then, Ruger rolls out a replacement which offers some improvements but at the expense of more years of returns and revisions.

I had high hopes for the next LCP, which I assumed would be striker fired with a decent trigger pull, real sights, and a passive firing pin safety. And maybe the brass would land in the same zip code. Instead, we got a gun with a better trigger pull and grip but a fully cocked hammer with no firing pin safety and most of the same problems the LCP had the first time around.

Very smart move on your part. If you're happy with your 200.00 Late Model LCP stick with it.
I'm really disgusted with my LCPII. As for the safety of carrying a chambered round that's my fault for not making sure what I was buying. You are absolutely right. I couldn't agree with you more with this statement you posted in your quote....

"It seems like once again Ruger spent years getting the bugs out of the original to the point that they are usually 100% out of the box and most buyers are quite happy. Then, Ruger rolls out a replacement which offers some improvements but at the expense of more years of returns and revisions. "

Ruger uses the consumer as a guinea pig for their new guns.
We'll see what happens with mine.I have to admit it does shoot pretty good for such a small gun but now the walking out Take Down pin to me is another safety concern.
Prescott sent me a email Friday evening that they received my Ruger jewel back. I have a feeling this one I have will be going down the road shortly but I hate to stick anybody else with it. I would let them know and if they still want it they've been warned.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks, and good luck to you going forward. I'm going to let my sister have the LCP if she likes it. Her current carry gun is a P95 believe it or not. She loves that big ol' tank of a pistol but something smaller would be ideal.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Thanks, and good luck to you going forward. I'm going to let my sister have the LCP if she likes it. Her current carry gun is a P95 believe it or not. She loves that big ol' tank of a pistol but something smaller would be ideal.

You're welcome and it sounds like a plan passing your LCP to your sister. I think I'd want something a little smaller then carrying a P95 around with me. It would be alright for a truck gun but not something I'd want to carry on my person very often.
Allot will depend on what Ruger has to say if they'll even comment about the chambered round carrying if I'll keep it or not. I sure don't need it or even want it after buying that P238 Sig. I wish it weighed more I'd use it for a boat anchor. Not really and I do have to admit it does shoot pretty good for something that small. We'll see.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
How do you like your P238? I was going to get one but went with a Kimber Micro stainless instead. Thing is, the P238 apparently cannot be had without night sights, so you are going to pay for them whether you want them or not. My Micro came with standard white dot sights which is what I prefer for $500.00 so I rolled with it. Love that pistol, shoots great.