Ruger sr9c range report and problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rocket_19

Bearcat
Hello all,

I wanted to do a range report and get a few questions answered.

So I bought my sr9c from a gun show in July. I started carrying it in an alien gear holster after I got my CCL. I carried it with some hornady hollow points. Well today is the first day that I was able to get out to the local range and fire the gun. I am a college student so I have not had a chance to go and shoot. Anyway I shot about 160 rounds through the gun. All winchester white box, 115 grain round nose fmj, and 10 shots with the hornady 115 grain. First off I only used the 17 round mag two times because I wanted to fire with 10 round more because that's how I carry. I had about, out of all the white box, 15 FTC or FTE. And with the hornady only one of the bullets hung up on the 9th round of the 10 round mag. It is a brand new gun and I had done a thorough cleaning and lube about a month before going to the range. Came home after the range and cleaned it and lubed the slide rails and the spring.

All in all the gun was very fun and easy to shoot. I kept finding myself going into the box to get more ammo even though I kept saying "This is the last magazine."

The question is, should I be worried about the FTC and FTE? Or just not worry about it since it was a newer gun? Thanks for the answers in advance.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Doesn't sound right. Did you take the magazine apart? Is the follower or
Spring in backwards? My SR9 has been flawless. Send it back to Ruger. They'll straighten it out.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Sometimes this can be the result of what's referred to as "limp wristing" - fairly common with new shooters. It results from sub consciously not keeping your wrist and forearm stiff. The pistol needs that resistance provided by the shooter in order to cycle the slide properly and consistently, especially with the relatively weak recoiling Winchesters. Then add to that, the gun itself might need some time to "break in" and smooth things out - usually 300 rds or more.

And yes, any malfunction of a carry gun is something to be concerned about. It could cost you your life.

Welcome aboard :)

rocket_19

Bearcat
I haven't taken the magazine apart. But the limp wrist thing I will keep in mind. Next time I go I'll see if some Federal 9mm I have will be any better.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rocket_19 said:
I haven't taken the magazine apart. But the limp wrist thing I will keep in mind. Next time I go I'll see if some Federal 9mm I have will be any better.

If you still have the problem, you can remove the Magazine Disconnect, which will help some. It only takes a minute. Don't bother asking a gunsmith to do it for you, they won't. Don't throw the disconnect away. You may need to reinstall it some day if you have to send it in for work or sell the gun. I keep mine in the box the gun came in.

Here's a How-To.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlgjoudyxXA

Note: Your gun may not have the small hole in the cover plate as shown in the video. If it does not, then the cover may be removed by pushing in a small punch or medium size paper clip leg at the 6 o'clock position of the cover plate as shown in this pic of my SR9E. The rest of the video is correct. Remove slide first, etc.

DSCF3311.jpg~original

kwh

Bearcat
Use 124 grain bullets and see if that does not clear up the problem.

lovic87

Bearcat
My SR9 was absolutely flawless until about 1100 rounds, then Winchester White Box has started having issues extracting. No other ammo, and PDX rounds don't cause any issues, only WWB in my SR9.

I fed the rest of them to my PPS and had zero issues. Gonna strip it down and clean extractor parts and see what happens. If WWB is still giving me issues, I'm going to send it back into Ruger.