First time out LCPII range report.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I just wanted to give a short range report with my LCPII.
I went to the range yesterday for about an hour. I ran 60 rounds of UMC/Rem 380 95 grain FMJ through it. Quite a difference between this new one and the early model LCP. First shot at 21' I almost took the center out of the target with it.
I shot it slow for a few magazines and kept them all in the black with no problem then I started shooting it faster. I'm sure I would have done better if I could see the sights like I once could. I kept all but a few in the black and I knew as soon as I squeezed the trigger I had pulled it. In those 60 rounds fired no stoppage of any kind. I was happy about that. I don't know how often I'll take it to the range but 60 rounds in one range session was enough in that light little gun. I have to give this new LCPII a Thumbs up for it's intended purpose.

I found this with the ammo odd.
I don't know what the deal is with Rem/UMC ammo someone apparently screwed up.
I didn't notice until yesterday that this 250 round bulk box of the Rem/UMC 380 95 grain FMJ was marked Metal Case on the box or I would never have bought this ammo. I bought this ammo at least 2 years ago if not longer. Getting ready to go to the range yesterday I grabbed this factory sealed box and that was when I noticed the "Metal Case".
I have never fired metal cases in anything I own and really I don't plan on shooting any if I can help it.

To show you how much I buy these bulk boxes of ammo.
I was surprised I thought it would be 250 loose rounds in the bulk box. There was 5 individual 50 round boxes and when I opened the first box here are brass cases and not the metal cases. Thinking they were the metal cases I didn't take my brass pick up tool figuring I'd sweep it up and put it in the steel bin at the range. Looks like someone was asleep packing this ammo or just not paying attention to what they were doing but it worked out better for me getting reloadable brass.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Uh, yeah. "Metal case" has always simply meant "not polymer case" in my mind. What's the issue? Are you confusing the word "metal" with the word "steel?" Because I assure you that Remington-UMC bulk pack pistol cartridges are made from brass. Which is both a metal AND not steel.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
The phrase "metal case" used here refers to the full metal jacket bullets. It is often abbreviated as FMC or MC.

I bet that's what it meant. I was thinking metal case like that Russian Wolf ammo. I was getting it mixed up with the steel case ammo I guess. I feel better now I thought there was a error in the packing. I never knew Remington to use Steel cases but I don't buy it very often.
Thanks all of you for clearing my error up.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
No prob. Do you reload? The LCP, and Ruger's in general, do really well with reloads.

Yes I do reload but not as much as I used to. I appreciate your info about the 380 reloads and the LCP (& Ruger's in general). My SR1911's like my old 45ACP reloads I loaded up probably 30 yrs ago.
I've never reloaded for the 380 or 40 S&W before.
I bought a set of RCBS carbide dies for the 380 sometime back. Once I accumulate enough 380 brass I will reload them. Right now my main concerns is waiting to get my new LCPII back from Ruger which was shipped back to Prescott yesterday. It has some issues that need to be corrected before I'll slip it in my wallet holster.
I'll run it through it's paces and probably take it to the range on occasions. I really don't foresee this LCPII being shot very often.
I actually bought those bulk boxes of the 380 UMC when we bought the wife a Sig P238. Now that is a fine little 380.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
It's talked about in this thread.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=245294

I'm having problems with the extractor which I explain and it's also not resetting the trigger. It's hit and miss on the trigger resetting. There's a few of us already experiencing the triggers not resetting on this new and improved LCPII. Not something I'm willing to gamble with on a carry gun.
According to the Fed Ex tracking they received my gun this AM. I imagine it will be a couple weeks before it finds it way home depending how many they have in front of it. For something I was happy with the first time out to the range it has turned out being a real disappointment.