Now Remington is building a Glock of their own, too.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
The only thing that immediately comes to mind when looking at Remington's new RP9 and RP45 striker-fired pistols is: Fugly.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/25/breaking-remington-finally-introduces-rp-45-rp9-striker-fired-handgun/

Yeah, I definitely think that for the money I'd rather have a Ruger American or a CZ P-07. Just sayin'. And for the "Beauty is as beauty does" crowd: I remember what happened with the R-51 . . . :p

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
ProfessorWes said:
The only thing that immediately comes to mind when looking at Remington's new RP9 and RP45 striker-fired pistols is: Fugly.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/25/breaking-remington-finally-introduces-rp-45-rp9-striker-fired-handgun/

Yeah, I definitely think that for the money I'd rather have a Ruger American or a CZ P-07. Just sayin'. And for the "Beauty is as beauty does" crowd: I remember what happened with the R-51 . . . :p

I have to agree with you that is one Fugly gun.
There's been several really Fugly guns released lately.
Glock's are some of the Fugliest but they work. I guess we can't judge or shouldn't judge a gun by it's looks. What matters is how well they work and how reliable they are.
From what I've seen on Davidson's Gallery of Guns on the Sportsman's channel they have shown some new Walther's that aren't exactly beauties either. When Polymer started being used that's when the looks of guns changed probably forever. I'm afraid if we like it or not Polymer is here to stay.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:
Why are folks all head up about someone buolding a glockalike? How many folks have made 1911's?

That new Remington does nothing for me.
I like my all steel Ruger's and my 4 SR1911's. I have some Glock's and other polymer frame guns but they aren't going in a beauty contest. I didn't buy them for their looks.They have a special purpose and that's what I use them for.

demented

Single-Sixer
Gonna have to prove 100% reliable and offer something no other pistol offers-price or something. And even these ain't gonna guarantee my interest, S&W has the SDVE in the $300 range and its a pretty dang good pistol that ain't near as fugly. Remington, I think, is about ten years late getting into the plastic market and the R51 fiasco has made their success even even more unlikely.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I don't really have an interest in a Remington plastic fantastic.

But I am curious/interested in the 45 ACP model being 15+1. That's high capacity for a 45.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Fugly is a accurate description, but to be more precise; proportions count - on guns as well as women. This one has a big butt. :shock:

DanPop

Bearcat
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think its sweet looking, not a pistol I would want but to me it's alot better looking than a Hi Point or a Glock.

s4s4u

Hunter
If it is their answer to the Glock, at least it looks like they improved on the grip angle ;-)

To me, it doesn't seem all that different from a Ruger American - though the amount of "ledge" overhang at the front of the slide and beavertail like rear protrusion seem overdone. All these plastic pistols are, to me anyways, tools first and generally unlikely to win any beauty contests on style. But, they are primarily intended to work better than they look - at least they do when they get it right..

lead shooter

Bearcat
You know, I would hear how the Ruger P 89 and P 90's were big and blocky looking. Well looking at all these new plastic style pistols of new with rails and slide serrations front and back and anything else they hang on them. Fugly seems to be normal today. Leadshooter

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Fugly is as fugly does: It looks like Remington has produced another lemon, if this RP9 is typical of the breed. "Within a hundred rounds or so, the gun has just started to fall apart on us."

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/01/27/another-lemon-remington/

"Yikes," indeed.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I handled one yesterday. If you have small hands it's great. 18 rounds of 9mm in a small grip and 15 rounds of 45 in the same small grip.

But they seem to be nothing but trouble, Mac tried one out and they just had nothing but problems. After putting out the R51 why would you do it again on this pistol ? That R51 was just junk even after the relaunch and now they put this thing out.

Here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeNP51XTeg

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I love Remington's traditional offerings such as my 870 and 742 and will probably get one of their 1911's before it's all over with. Even if they get this RP thing running right it has zero chance of replacing my Glocks. Seriously, where is the advantage over any other pistol out there? Remington has thoroughly peed in the Cheerios with the R51, the busiest shop around here has one that has been gathering dust in their case since the revised version came up.