Help Needed in Re-assembling a P85

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Frontovik193rd

Bearcat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone ever successfully totally disassembled and reassembled their P85? I bought one that had been poorly refinished and I wanted to refinish in the correct colors using DuraCoat. Finishing went great as did the reassembly of the slide. The frame was a totally different matter. I'm on my third try. That thing is way over-engineered. Any thoughts, hints, tutorials, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm an LEO and got one of these in to my Department from Ruger when they first came out, for evaluation. We were still carrying S&W Model 64's at the time. I had the option of buying it, which I did. Like a fool, I sold it and now, I wanted to get another one to round out the collection of all the guns I ever carried or used in my career

I ordered the J.B. Wood book from Amazon, hoping that it had "how did they get the camera up there" shots of the frame assembly. I've also looked at the YouTube videos. I've researched it on the internet. I have tried several times to get it right, but no joy. If I only had good shots of how the parts interact, I would be fine. The one piece that is driving me nuts is the reassembly of the ejector and it's spring. I know that the hooked end of the spring hooks onto the right side of the ejector. Where does the straight end fit? That isn't shown in any of the books, videos, etc. that I have seen. Most of the parts look like they logically interact with other parts, but the whole system is locked-up. In test fitting the pieces, I couldn't get them to function together (and the trigger spring and plunger). I can't even get the slide latch to fit through, over the top of the trigger. How does the trigger assembly/trigger bar/sear/hammer/hammer spring interact? Right now, I have a very nice looking set of parts. <face plant>

1911's are logical......BHP's are logical.....Glocks are logical....This thing looks like it was designed by Rube Goldberg (I'm dating myself). I had no trouble, at all, with the slide, but the frame is a nightmare! I wish there was a sticky showing the innards of this beast?!?! OBTW....Cursing at it in English, Russian, and Hebrew didn't work either. Any help (especially pics) would be greatly appreciated. The refinish turned out a perfect match to the original and I have a set of the checkered wood grips to go on it. I love the P85, even if it is a Tank.....and I would love to get it back together.

roylt

Hunter
I been asking for years for the manual to be stickied but the mods won't do it for some unknown reason. I'll see if I can find it and post in it so it is forced to the top of the list again. As for how it goes together it is just the opposite as you took it apart ;)

Welcome here.
Keep the P-guns alive!
And, Yes I'm a P-nut.

roylt

Hunter
Just bumped it to the top but the picture links are dead.

The mag release spring goes outside the frame by where your ring finger would be when you grip the frame. then the spring needs pushed into the frame slot inside, then the release levers need installed to hold the spring tension.

roylt

Hunter
On the other post someone put this link.
Great info on "Steve's Pages"

The .pdf can be found here: http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_p89_di ... manual.pdf
Regards,
Greg

Frontovik193rd

Bearcat
Beautiful! I'll see if this helps......I need "I didn't know they could get the camera up there" and "the knee-bone is connected to the thigh-bone" type pics......The link is much appreciated. I really want to get this old warrior back together and restored to it's original glory. Another question.....did all P85's have the lanyard loop or did some have the flat hammer spring retainer housing?

roylt

Hunter
The 85 sear is a little different than the 89. As for the ejector spring, I think you are right. The main thing is to go slow and don't break anything. If it looks wrong or doesn't feel right try again. You'll get it.

I can't say I never used a blind pin for anything but I have never bought one. I use nails that are the right diameter. The picture shows just a pin punch in place.

Frontovik193rd

Bearcat
In fitting everything together, I still cannot get the side latch to go over the trigger assembly. it's like leverything locks up. I am throwing in the towel an will either go looking for a gunsmith who knows P Guns or see if I can send it to Ruger and have then reassemble. I am not an idiot.....in fact, I am one of the few people to successfully reassemble a Walther Model 8. The person who had it before me reassembled it with the sear spring in the wrong position and I temporarily had an unintentional full-auto 25 Cal. pistol. I pulled it apart when I got back from the range and found out what the problem was. I was severly berated by members of the Walther Forum for not taking pics and notes when I reassembled it as "Many had tried and many had failed". Well, I have been beaten by a Ruger P85.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good P Gun savvy Gunsmith????

roylt

Hunter
Where are you located?

If you can post pictures I can try to help more.

Frontovik193rd

Bearcat
:D GOT IT TOGETHER!!!! My problem was a little notch on the ejector was not seated correctly under a notch in the sear. I had walked away from it for a day and when I cam back to it, I studied all parts interaction and that was the only thing that seemed out of place. I'll post "Before and After" photos tomorrow of the refinish. I gotta say, she's a beauty. I can't want to run some rounds through her....Thanks for all of the help and support!

Frontovik193rd

Bearcat
Before:

30054487153_d306b26242_z.jpg

30571261172_1a9f88b913_z.jpg

Restored to Original Finish (Sorry for the crappy photos).

30054469473_83eccdabd2_c.jpg

30054468813_07348c1594_c.jpg

roylt

Hunter
Looks real good. Hope you kept the metal foot mag though. The 85s all were metal foot mags.

Now for a range report. Go have some fun and let us know how she did.

Frontovik193rd

Bearcat
Ah, Thanks for the reminder, I'll replace the carry mag with the metal floor plate and keep the two plastic ones in the mag pouch. Did all of the P85's have the lanyard ring at the end of the mainspring housing? The pics don't do it justice, but I nailed the colors....Duracoat Dark Gray Parker for the frame and Colt Gray (Very Dark Gray...almost black) for the slide and pieces on the slide like slide release, trigger spring plug, slide release retainer spring plug, hammer holder, mainspring housing, and mag release. I have the rubber checkered grips, the wooden checked grips, and the factory grips.....I actually like the look of the factory grips, but then I will not be using it as a carry piece. I have a good pancake holster for it, but I might pick up an old duty holster. You've been a great help in all this and it is greatly appreciated! There is no better sense of satisfaction that restoring an old warhorse to it's original beauty and function............ :)

roylt

Hunter
I think all the 85's had the lanyard loop but not 100% sure.
Pic of the grips you have would be cool, I like "Barbie clothes" too. I assume the check rubber are Uncle Mikes.
Pics of the holster too. My first P-gun was the 89 so the holster would be the same.

Don't feel I did much but glad to help.

Keep the P-guns alive!

dberry

Bearcat
The p series frame can be a pain the first time you do it but not too bad after that. Great job on the finish