LCP II Chambered?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rdockery_3

Bearcat
I know that most people recommend carrying with on in the chamber for self defense, but I also know that most pocket pistols are DAO. I just purchased the LCP II and I was wondering how safe it is to carry a single action gun with one in the chamber? I'm not worried so much about hitting the trigger, but is it possible if something were to break that the hammer could fall on its own?

jic

Bearcat
Anything is possible, if you keep it in a good holster that covers the trigger and practice safe gun handling you should be okey

Merus

Bearcat
Just bought an LCP II myself, and contemplating how to carry. Before I carry it on a regular basis, I will fire some rounds to familiarize myself with how it handles. A chambered round would mean I have to do nothing more than point and shoot, once the gun is in my hand.

In a life threatening situation, having a round chambered could mean the difference between life and death. Not having a round chambered is arguably safer, but MUCH slower in an emergency situation. The pocket holster that comes with it does a good job of protecting the trigger, so I would feel safe from accidentally pulling the trigger, and proper gun handling would make it about as safe as it can be.

Having said that, accidental discharge because of something breaking could happen with ANY gun.

Merus

s4s4u

Hunter
Not having a round chambered is arguably safer, but MUCH slower in an emergency situation.

Not only slower, but might even be impossible to rack the slide in an emergency situation if you have to fend of your attacker with one hand while you present your weapon.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
The question you should be asking is "Does it have a firing pin safety?" because the fps is designed for exactly the situation you described.

Most modern handguns have it. The LCP does not.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
The LCP has to have the trigger pulled to be able to finish the hammer stroke. It is just about half way back, until the trigger pull completes the hammer's travel to full cock, then fires the gun. That hammer will not just fall, from halfway back, and fire the gun. Just make sure you carry the pistol in a pocket holster, with nothing else in the pocket with gun/holster.

I always carry with a round in the chamber...one may not have time or concentration to rack the slide, while under attack.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
The LCP has to have the trigger pulled to be able to finish the hammer stroke. It is just about half way back,

He asked about the LCP II, not the LCP. The hammer is fully cocked on the LCP II

Merus

Bearcat
woodsy said:
RalphS said:
The LCP has to have the trigger pulled to be able to finish the hammer stroke. It is just about half way back,

He asked about the LCP II, not the LCP. The hammer is fully cocked on the LCP II
What hammer???

The LCP and the LCP II are both hammer fired, not striker fired, and both have a concealed hammer. Both also have a "view port" in the rear of the slide that shows the status of the hammer. The LCP II has a single action trigger, and there is no additional movement of the hammer when the trigger is pulled, except for for a minimal amount, presumably caused by the sear releasing the hammer. (less than 1/16 inch)

I have never handled or fired an LCP so I don't know what "half cocked" means, in relation to it's double action trigger.

Merus

rdockery_3

Bearcat
Does anybody know if the LCP 2 has a firing pin block in the unlikely event that the hammer did fall without the trigger being pulled?

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I carry all my guns with a round chambered (including Glocks) and this LCP II will be no different. I make sure it's in a good holster that completely covers the trigger. I will not carry any semi auto with a chambered round in my pocket without a good holster.

I was just going to post about the new LCP II's. I picked one up last Saturday AM. What a difference between the early models and these new II's. I planned on just going in to see it. I really had no intentions of buying one, that was until I handled it and tried the trigger. Somehow it followed me home. I'm not a big fan of the 380's but for a quick trip to the store or as a 2nd carry gun going somewhere it has it's purpose.
I had been waiting since Mid May for a couple of the Custom LCP's which are no more now and the dealer apparently never got any. I got on his waiting list when they were having Ruger days. Things happen for a reason I guess.

I haven't been able to shoot it yet. Hopefully soon I can get to our range that has been pretty much underwater since the hurricane a couple weeks ago. I heard it was back open.

I posted about a Talon wallet holster awhile back for the LCP's. I was real happy when I got home and tried it in my Talon wallet holster. I was surprised it fit it almost perfectly accept on the back flap where it's cut to follow the back angled contour of the slide. With the LCP II being hair bigger the contour of the slide sticks up about 1/4" in that one area.

With that being said chances are if you have a LCP holster that fit the standard LCP's it will probably fit the new LCP II.

As soon as I got home with it I took it apart. There was no shortage of lubricant. It looked real good accept for I guess I'd call it a metal tag or a little slag on the slide itself. It was right on the inside of the slide on the side of the firing pin channel by the raised center piece where the slide rides. I wish I had taken a picture it would be easier to describe. It should never have gotten out that way but we see allot of that kind of thing today leaving the factories that never would have years ago. It only took a few minutes to clean that up. I can't wait to get back out to the range to run this and that SR1911 9mm that made a trip back to Ruger through the paces.

Merus

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:

... It looked real good accept for I guess I'd call it a metal tag or a little slag on the slide itself. It was right on the inside of the slide on the side of the firing pin channel by the raised center piece where the slide rides. I wish I had taken a picture it would be easier to describe. It should never have gotten out that way but we see allot of that kind of thing today leaving the factories that never would have years ago. ...

Interesting ... I found the same kind of thing in the same location in mine. The tiny sliver of metal I removed could have gotten into the internals and caused problems. I have always considered Ruger firearms to be solid and reliable, but without the "fit and finish" of my older S&W and Colt firearms, or my newer Sig Sauer. But, factoring in cost, Ruger seems to be better value. More bang for the buck, so to speak. :)

Merus

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I carry all my guns with one on the pipe also. Looking at the parts diagram of the LCP II I can't see anything stopping the hammer other than the sear. I am ok with it on the LCP as the hammer is only about half cocked and probably doesn't have enough energy to fire the cartridge. The LCP II hammer is all the way cocked, or nearly so, and it seems that if the sear fails the gun could fire. As much as I like the new pistol I am going to wait awhile and see if any recalls or safety concerns come out.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Does anybody know if the LCP 2 has a firing pin block in the unlikely event that the hammer did fall without the trigger being pulled?

I already answered this question for you. Go back and read my responses.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Merus said:
Ruger Redhawk said:

... It looked real good accept for I guess I'd call it a metal tag or a little slag on the slide itself. It was right on the inside of the slide on the side of the firing pin channel by the raised center piece where the slide rides. I wish I had taken a picture it would be easier to describe. It should never have gotten out that way but we see allot of that kind of thing today leaving the factories that never would have years ago. ...

Interesting ... I found the same kind of thing in the same location in mine. The tiny sliver of metal I removed could have gotten into the internals and caused problems. I have always considered Ruger firearms to be solid and reliable, but without the "fit and finish" of my older S&W and Colt firearms, or my newer Sig Sauer. But, factoring in cost, Ruger seems to be better value. More bang for the buck, so to speak. :)

Merus
Yep it sounds like the same thing we both found. As soon as I saw it I had to remove it. I sure didn't want it to be breaking loose and cause problems down the road or when it was really needed.
I'm still a Ruger fan but they aren't the same gun Bill Ruger was turning out. That is one reason after getting a couple of guns on line that had defects and I wasn't able to inspect them first has caused me to quit buying guns on line. I won't buy any of them if I can't visually look them over first.
Of course this was internal on the LCPII and I don't think a dealer would appreciate me taking it apart on his counter top.

rdockery_3

Bearcat
Ok, so it doesn't have a firing pin block, but when I took it apart I did notice that it has a half cocked position if you only pull the hammer back so far. This should catch the hammer if the sear were to fail, correct?

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Once you get past the fact that there is no firing pin block, the next thing to think about is the "LCP smiley problem". Google it.

This is the biggest flaw in the gun, including all generations of LCP and the P3AT which Ruger copied. Every single bullet that gets cycled into the barrel is first smashed against the bottom of the feed ramp, thereby damaging the end of the bullet and causing bullet setback.

I have a first gen LCP and I like the gun, but it damages every round that it loads.

If you have an LCP or P3AT, fire a round and then eject the next round in the chamber and examine it for damage and setback. You might be surprised.

I don't believe the smiley is a problem. My son had a Keltec P3AT, an LCP ETC. Keltec didn't have any recalls I am aware of, and neither has Ruger. I have never heard of any kabooms either. As long as this smiley thing has been around, if it was a problem, the various companies have solved the issue. IMO.
gramps

RalphS

Single-Sixer
As long as this smiley thing has been around, if it was a problem, the various companies have solved the issue. IMO.

They haven't solved it. It's a design flaw that they can't fix. If you own an LCP or P3AT, test it yourself.

It's amazing to me that people seem to think that bullet setback is not a problem.