Wiley Clapp "The .40 Is a Better Choice Than the 9 mm"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/10/6/clapp-on-handguns-the-40-is-a-better-choice-than-the-9-mm/

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Of course it is. The .40 fires a larger diameter heavier bullet so it's going to be "better" given equal bullet construction. However, the .40 has more recoil, is more difficult to shoot well particularly for smaller shooters, has lower magazine capacity and is harder on guns. Current 9 mm high performance ammo has gotten so good the actual performance gap between it and the .40 has shrunk to about insignificant.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Those old BP round balls did a pretty good job of penetrating back in the day, and still do. :) Reloading is a pita, tho. :wink:

cva%20colt.jpg~original

Mike J

Hunter
I believe everyone is going to have a little different take on this. Some folks will point out that if a gunshot victim is brought into a hospital they can't tell if the wound was made by a .40, .45 or 9mm just by examining the wound. While I don't think it makes a huge difference I do like .40. I don't think I would care for it in a small (read subcompact) pistol. If carrying a service sized pistol I have a tendency to choose .40 or .45. In a subcompact I prefer a 9mm because I believe it is slightly easier to control. Of course a different person could make different choices based on their own circumstances.

And here I have always thought the caliber that is best is the one you are most comfortable shooting, not afraid of recoil or muzzle blast and will shoot and practice with. If you are intimidated and skittish about shooting the more powerful caliber won't help you if you don't practice with it and can't hit well with it.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I wonder...... my .44, the .45 and the .480 to me were easier to control than the Glock mod.27 my buddy used to have. I suspect it's what you can shoot well rather than the caliber.

tinman

Buckeye
WendyZXZ said:
And here I have always thought the caliber that is best is the one you are most comfortable shooting, not afraid of recoil or muzzle blast and will shoot and practice with. If you are intimidated and skittish about shooting the more powerful caliber won't help you if you don't practice with it and can't hit well with it.

This