First time shooting new LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winn

Bearcat
Put 50 rounds through my new LCP today. I was aiming low until I got used to the sights. I had a hard time putting a full 6 round magazine in. I felt like I was really forcing it to lock in. I found it much easier with 5 rounds. I guess the spring has to loosen up a bit. Is that normal? I will say that it was very comfortable to shoot. It will be my regular carry pistol.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
winn said:
Put 50 rounds through my new LCP today. I was aiming low until I got used to the sights. I had a hard time putting a full 6 round magazine in. I felt like I was really forcing it to lock in. I found it much easier with 5 rounds. I guess the spring has to loosen up a bit. Is that normal? I will say that it was very comfortable to shoot. It will be my regular carry pistol.

Did you have the slide open?

Cubby

Single-Sixer
winn said:
No, I didn't. Should I?

The magazine will load easier until the spring gets realxed a little. Also holding the magazine release in at times helps?

Mark

Bearcat
I also had this problem with some 6 round magazines. I believe some recent production mags are not fitting correctly.

gasbag

Blackhawk
I had an LCP.......yup, have the slide open.
I liked the little gun and I would have kept it except my finger were
just a wee bit too fat/big to shoot it comfortably.
No matter how I place my trigger finger I would pinch the fat pad and
even with the mag extension I could get only 2 1/2 fingers around it.
It was surprisingly accurate. My son called it "The Noisy Cricket".

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
winn said:
Try removing the plastic base plate of the magazine. Then just rub the part that faces the bottom of the mag when installed on a piece of sandpaper lying on a table. Removing a little of the material might help it lock in easier. My wife's LCP had the same problem and this fixed it.