Any Walther PP love happening here? ~Pics added!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I don't know much about these but I have a chance to pick up one in 380. Must be older with a 5-digit 18xxx serial number.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I have a modest collection of Wallther PP series pistols. They are excellent firearms. The .22 and .32 caliber pistols are a dream to shoot. Some people find the .380 a bit snappy.
A five digit serial number in the 18xxx range would indicate a PPK/S manufactured in the middle to latter part of 1984.

hittman

Staff member
charlesappel said:
A five digit serial number in the 18xxx range would indicate a PPK/S manufactured in the middle to latter part of 1984.

Thanks but this one is a PP, not a PPK or PPK/S.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
charlesappel said:

Thanks but this one is a PP, not a PPK or PPK/S.
Then I am puzzled. The serial number chart I consulted appears to be wrong.
Is there a letter before or after the serial number?
Where was the pistol made? Zella-Mehlis? Ulm/Do?
Can you post pictures of the pistol?

hittman

Staff member
The charts I saw (only ones I could find on line) are specific to the caliber of the gun. It's claimed that a chart for the 32 for example is not the same as for the 380. I've not found a chart for the 380.

Yes, there is an "A" after the s/n but I an not certain it's part of the s/n but ..... I know nothing about these guns. There is a space between the s/n and the "A".

Made in Ulm.

Thank you.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
An internet search failed to turn up a chart specific to 380 PP pistols.
The date of proofing can normally be found on the barrel shroud in the ejection port. There is usually a symbol resembling an antler follow by a 2 digit date code. 64 would be 1964 etc.
In 1968 or thereabouts, the date code switched to an alphabetic code. A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4, F=5, G=6, H=7, I=8, K=9. ( There is no J. ) I am not sure where this code was stamped as I don't have a pistol manufactured after 1968.

hittman

Staff member
This afternoon I phoned Walther and spoke with a man there.

He says the serial numbers can't be used to decipher age. Rather, the 2 digits stamped on the shiny part you see through the ejection port when the slide is closed indicates the date of manufacture. He says the other symbols or letters there, before or after the 2 digits, are just proof or manufacturing marks. So ..... he says the PP I'm looking at was made in 61 and the PPK in 62.

Thanks to all for their input.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
I love my Walthers PPQ Police Pistol Quick 9 mm M2 model. It's got a great trigger like the Ruger LC9s Pro and it shoot great with great handling and balance.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Years ago I got hold of a very nice, virtually mint finish-wise, .32 ACP PP former police pistol. I am ashamed to say I sold it, as the sights were so small they were virtually useless to me. The gun fit my hand perfectly, and was utterly reliable with whatever .32 ammo I put through it, but hard for me to hit with beyond 7 yards.

That said, I really like the PP, and I'll agree with one of the earlier posters: I think it is THE best looking auto pistol ever made. The Mauser HSc and Sig 230 come close, but only close.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have a WWII .22 PPK and a late-'60s .22 PP. Love 'em, but don't shoot 'em that much.

I have a "cheap" ERMA-made copy (in looks only, not in design or parts) of the PPK that shoots every bit as well as the real PPK.

And I have a Beretta 70 in .22 that's more fun and enjoyable to shoot than any of the Walthers. It never bites the web of the hand that feeds it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Those ERMA-EXCAM 22LR guns are jewels. an be, I'm sure there were some rough ones made. Mine fired many thousands of rounds across Texas and Louisiana before launching its rear sight into a swamp. :oops: My fault actually. Several white-mouthed watersnakes sank to the bottom of that same swamp near Monroe, thanks to miss ERMA. I've owned 3-4 ERMA 22 RX22 pistols and cannot recall a dog in the bunch.

Note that the Ithaca 72 lever-actions (the design copied by Henry) had match-grade barrels made by ERMA-Werke - the 22 WRFM guns at least.
ERMA made barrels for Walther and the Manurhin-Walther PP-series pistols before that. The Walther Olympic Biathlon guns wore ERMA barrels for decades.

To the OP, I've had a PP in 32ACP and one in 380, and can appreciate your admiration for the art-deco design of those beautiful pistols.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Those ERMA-EXCAM 22LR guns are jewels. an be, I'm sure there were some rough ones made. Mine fired thousands of rounds across Texas and Louisiana before launching its rear sight into a swamp. Several white-mouthed watersnakes sank to the bottom of that same swamp near Monroe, thanks to miss ERMA.
ERMA made barrels for Walther and Walther-Manurhin before that. The Walther Olympic Biathlon guns wore ERMA barrels for decades.

I've owned 3-4 ERMA 22 RX22 pistols and cannot recall a dog in the bunch.

To the OP, I've had a PP in 32ACP and one in 380, and can appreciate your admiration for the art-deco design of those beautiful pistols.
You just reminded me, mine launched its rear sight the very first time I shot it--outdoors, of course. I got a replacement sight and screw from EXCAM, but it cost something like $27. Hells Bells, I'd only paid $85 brand new for the whole gun! :shock: I expoxied THAT one in place, where it still is today.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Back around the early to mid 70's I worked for a gun shop part time. We had several of the old Walther PPK & PPKS.I was always temped to buy one and never did which I kind of regret today. They were a little pricey. I realize this was about 40 years ago but I can not remember ever seeing one of these Walther's with a problem. This particular gun shop had a very good & well known gunsmith in that area. He was always was getting allot of work in.