New LCP - trigger doesn't reset sometimes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cowboy1964

Bearcat
New LCP, out of the box the trigger does not reset maybe as often as half the time. After much experimentation dry firing I finally figured out why. Slide friction is preventing the trigger bar on the right side from fully resetting upward. If I nudge the slide to the right it will reset. So it appears to be either something out of tolerance or a weak spring, probably the former is my guess. This is kind of a poor design, IMO, because you've got a potential point of binding, but it is what it is.

Has anyone else experienced this? This will be going back to Ruger for diagnosis but now I at least have an easy way to verify it's fixed.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear about your problem.
I suggest you call Ruger. They will send you a shipping label, fix or replace the gun.

cowboy1964

Bearcat
Well, got the LCP back. Ruger says they fired 24 rounds "after repair" and had no malfunctions. But I can still cause the issue by dry firing. I'll take it to the range tomorrow.

They say they replaced the trigger bar and spring.

I'm having a hard time believing this isn't a design flaw. The slide rubs against the trigger bar, binding it up from resetting. If anyone wants to try to duplicate this it is easy:

- drop the mag, verify empty
- dry fire
- grasp the slide, apply leftward pressure to it as you rack it. It's easier to do this if you grasp it in reverse, that is with your thumb on the right at the back (assuming you're right-handed)
- the trigger will fail to reset at least a few times out of ten. When it happens you can see on the right side of the slide the trigger bar is being held down by the slide and nudging the slide to the right will free it up.

If this has to go back again I will be asking for a complete replacement. I can't have a carry gun that requires me to slap the slide or jiggle it hard to reset the trigger, even if it only happens one time in 50.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
cowboy1964 said:
Well, got the LCP back. Ruger says they fired 24 rounds "after repair" and had no malfunctions. But I can still cause the issue by dry firing. I'll take it to the range tomorrow.

They say they replaced the trigger bar and spring.

I'm having a hard time believing this isn't a design flaw. The slide rubs against the trigger bar, binding it up from resetting. If anyone wants to try to duplicate this it is easy:

- drop the mag, verify empty
- dry fire
- grasp the slide, apply leftward pressure to it as you rack it. It's easier to do this if you grasp it in reverse, that is with your thumb on the right at the back (assuming you're right-handed)
- the trigger will fail to reset at least a few times out of ten. When it happens you can see on the right side of the slide the trigger bar is being held down by the slide and nudging the slide to the right will free it up.

If this has to go back again I will be asking for a complete replacement. I can't have a carry gun that requires me to slap the slide or jiggle it hard to reset the trigger, even if it only happens one time in 50.
Okay, I had some time to spare and tried this on both my LCPs: neither failed to reset in about 15 cycles each.
FWIW, only the older of the two (pre-improved trigger) shows any wear (more like the finish has rubbed off vice real wear) on the dis-connector portion of the trigger bar.
2qxqhpt.jpg

I run these a little on the "wet" side. How heavy are you lubing yours?
Regards,
Greg

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Cowboy1964 take a few minutes and send Mike Fifer a email via the Ruger co. site.
Better still here's the link.
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/

Tell him what you are experiencing and that it's already been back once with the same results. I had a couple brand new defective 357 LCR's replaced and a Lipsey's Bearcat Shopkeeper that looked like a blind man finished the gun and fit the grips to the grip frame. When I got it back it was a little better but still not acceptable. I got with Mike and they wanted it back for a 2nd time. Mike Fifer made it happen. The 2nd trip back, I asked for a replacement and I got a brand new Shopkeeper in almost perfect condition. I guess they got the blind man a pair of spectacles.
I can almost guarantee in the next business day you'll hear from him or someone from Ruger. I've contacted him probably a half dozen times and got excellent results. He's a really nice guy. We've had a couple emails conversation but it has been some time ago. Don't give up give Mike Fifer a shout.

Erick421

Bearcat
I bought the new LCP this weekend at my local gun show and took it to the range yesterday. I brought 50 rounds of brass cased Winchester FMJ to run through it. I made it through about 20 rounds without any issues, then I had a strange problem that sounds like it could be similar to what you described. A round would fire, spent case would eject, new round would chamber. The slide appeared to be all the way forward and I could see that the hammer was cocked back, but the trigger wasn't reset. I couldn't fire the next round. Trigger would just go all the way to the rear with no break. I could pull the slide back part of the way (not even far enough to eject the chambered round) and that seemed to be enough to reset the trigger and then it would fire. This continued and seemed to become more frequent the more I kept shooting. By the time I was on the last magazine of the 50 rounds I brought, it happened probably every other shot out of the 6 rounds the mag holds. I love the little gun, I'm pretty accurate with it, but not I'm skeptical of trusting it now. Does what I'm describing sound like the same problem you are having? I took it home, took it apart and cleaned it up good. Nothing seemed broken or out of the ordinary. I plan to take it back out this weekend to give it another shot and I'll report back. I'll also go home today and try what you described with dry firing to see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks!

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
There's been a change since my LCPII range outing.
I was going to do something to that new LCPII on Friday. I dropped the magazine and tried to eject the chambered round. The chambered round was getting stuck on the extractor. Actually it was getting stuck on the extractor and the tip of the bullet was getting wedged in the corner on the front of the ejection port. It didn't matter if I worked the slide slow or fast that round wasn't coming off the extractor. I made sure I racked the slide all the back and fast and still wouldn't release it. I had to physically pry it off. I used the same ammo that I've used in my early LCP the Rem Ultimate Defense ammo, making sure it wasn't an ammo issue I tried it with the Barnes ammo and it did the exact same thing.

That wasn't bad enough I started working the slide after reading about Cowboys1964 trigger not resetting. It worked fine last Thursday at the range.
Several times it didn't reset the trigger when I was manually working the slide. If it didn't reset I could move the trigger from front to back a few times and doing that sometimes it would reset. A few times it didn't reset I hit the left side of the grip with the palm of my hand and it resets. I don't hear very well but I believe it made a noise when it was resetting.

This is unacceptable especially with a carry gun. I called Prescott AZ this AM @ 9:00. It's on the way back to Ruger. The lady was very helpful as always. I believe her name was Angie
She asked me to hold on for a minute and she went to talk to someone. She comes back and asked how I was working the slide fast or slow, was I bringing it all the way to the rear. I told her I tried it fast and slow and made sure I worked it as far back as it goes.
I already knew it was going to be making the trip back. She said we need to get that gun in here and that was before I even told her about the trigger not resetting. I put a very detailed note inside the package telling what issues I was having.
After I got it packed up and printed the Shipping Label I dropped it off @Fed Ex. Just like the times I called about the SR1911 9mm they thanked me for letting them know since it's a new release and they want to get any issues resolved.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Erick421 said:
I bought the new LCP this weekend at my local gun show and took it to the range yesterday. I brought 50 rounds of brass cased Winchester FMJ to run through it. I made it through about 20 rounds without any issues, then I had a strange problem that sounds like it could be similar to what you described. A round would fire, spent case would eject, new round would chamber. The slide appeared to be all the way forward and I could see that the hammer was cocked back, but the trigger wasn't reset. I couldn't fire the next round. Trigger would just go all the way to the rear with no break. I could pull the slide back part of the way (not even far enough to eject the chambered round) and that seemed to be enough to reset the trigger and then it would fire. This continued and seemed to become more frequent the more I kept shooting. By the time I was on the last magazine of the 50 rounds I brought, it happened probably every other shot out of the 6 rounds the mag holds. I love the little gun, I'm pretty accurate with it, but not I'm skeptical of trusting it now. Does what I'm describing sound like the same problem you are having? I took it home, took it apart and cleaned it up good. Nothing seemed broken or out of the ordinary. I plan to take it back out this weekend to give it another shot and I'll report back. I'll also go home today and try what you described with dry firing to see if I can replicate the problem.

Thanks!

First off Eric welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are having the same issue that Cowboy and I are experiencing with the trigger not resetting. Mine worked without any stoppage last Thursday at the range. I was quite happy after I put 60 rounds through it and no problems.
I discovered my issues after I cleaned it and reloaded it. When I went to unload and had a problem with it not letting the chambered round break free of the extractor was when I decided to try it several times and found that there was a problem with not only my extractor but the trigger not resetting .
I'm sure by now Ruger is aware of trigger resetting issues. I suggest calling Ruger in Prescott AZ. Their number is 1-336-949-5200. I believe you press 5 for the pistols IIRC. They are very helpful. They will issue you a Prepaid shipping label. All to do is print the label, pack it up with a explanation of the issues you are having and drop it off at a Fed Ex facility.

I will update what they find when I get mine back. I know Ruger will eventually make it right, hopefully they will get it right this trip back. I forgot to mention in my other post the extractor on the side of the slide doesn't look right to me. It doesn't seem to be fitting in the cutout on the slide for the extractor just right.

Erick421

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response Ruger Redhawk. After reading this forum thread it seems like more than just a unique issue with my gun so I'm sure I'll end up sending it back. I'm going to take it back out for 1 more shooting session this weekend just to see how it performs after a good cleaning and pay close attention to all the details of what I've tried and what is happening with it, then probably send it off unless by some miracle I have no problems. I'll keep tracking this thread to see if others start having the same issue and to see how Ruger handles your repairs.

Thanks again!!

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Erick421 said:
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response Ruger Redhawk. After reading this forum thread it seems like more than just a unique issue with my gun so I'm sure I'll end up sending it back. I'm going to take it back out for 1 more shooting session this weekend just to see how it performs after a good cleaning and pay close attention to all the details of what I've tried and what is happening with it, then probably send it off unless by some miracle I have no problems. I'll keep tracking this thread to see if others start having the same issue and to see how Ruger handles your repairs.

Thanks again!!
You're welcome.
Sounds like you have a plan. Call Ruger first don't just send it in. They will issue you a prepaid shipping label. It's on their dime getting it back and forth for repairs.
I sure wanted to trust this gun to slip in my wallet holster. I'm sure they will get it right and I hope I can put trust in it. Time will tell. Let us know how it does on your next range visit.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I waited almost 8 years after its introduction to buy my LCP. Upon reading this, and remembering similar stories from when the first one came out, I am convinced I made the right decision.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
I waited almost 8 years after its introduction to buy my LCP. Upon reading this, and remembering similar stories from when the first one came out, I am convinced I made the right decision.

I bought a early production LCP. The prefix is 372 and it doesn't even show that number on the Ruger's S/N history. Maybe I have a one of a kind LOL.
It has the worst trigger I've ever seen. I bought it and did nothing with it for about 5 years or so. I didn't realize how bad that trigger was until I actually took it to the range for the first time.
I called Ruger Prescott C.S. after the Ruger Rep at this Ruger days I went to suggested calling them. I was told it would be 30.00 shipping and no guarantee they would do anything to it if it was within specs. I can throw my money away in better ways. I checked the trigger with my RCBS trigger gauge. It breaks at 7 1/2 to 8lbs. A few times it went off the gauge.

Then I wanted the Custom LCP and waited since mid May for it and it never happened. The Ruger rep at this same dealers Ruger days assured him that he'd get all he needed. I waited and now they are no more.
I really figured I'd go ahead and get the LCPII right away since it's supposedly an improved existing model and it would be right. Wrong answer.
At this point I'm getting really disgusted with what Ruger is turning out. I bet the old man to turning over in his grave. I've been a Ruger fan and a pretty regular customer for almost 45 years and it hurts seeing the way it's been going over the last few years if not longer.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think Ruger could prevent most of the problems by putting more QC into each gun before it leaves the factory. Even if it adds $20-30.00 to the real world cost I think it would be definitely worth it. On top of that, they really need to hold their horses on introducing new guns. I get the fact that with every new design there are going to to be bumps in the road and revisions needed to correct them. The problem is, Ruger is rushing too many new guns to market at once giving the impression that they can't get anything right and/or don't mind to use the consumer for quality testing.

Finally, I think Ruger is needlessly putting resources into new guns when they already have many time tested designs that could simply be updated. Everyone got upset about them throwing the P series overboard to go full steam ahead on the SR series, and the associated recall/barrel peening issues that went with it. Well, now it looks like the same thing is going to happen to the SR's and probably the original LCP in favor of the American pistol and LCP II. We start all over again with early gun defects and necessary revisions to correct them, and for us Luddites holding on to our P's and even SR's someday there is the question of parts and repair availability.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Ruger fan. I love my Service Six and Single Six, and my wife adores her 10/22 with blue laminated stock. The few times I have had to ask Ruger for help with anything they came through 100%. I just think that some of their choices and habits as of late are seriously eroding the company with the shooting public. Sometimes when I read what people have gone through with late model Rugers I feel as if I am reading about Taurus with excellent customer service. Absolutely no disrespect or insult intended, just feeling fatigued with this same story over and over.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
All Ruger needs to do is slow down and it will avoid allot of these guns getting out the door with problems. It's almost like their QC doesn't even exist anymore which it probably doesn't if the truth be known. I've gotten some real garbage the last few years. From shoddy workmanship to defective guns. This with my LCPII is minor compared to the 2- 357 LCR's I got. They replaced a defective one with another defective one. You would think if they were replacing a defective gun they'd give the replacement a good going over before shipping it. No that makes to much sense.
I agree even if it added a few bucks to the price of a gun to get one that doesn't have to go back to the Ruger facilities it would be well worth it.
Just think what Ruger is spending a year on shipping labels because of all the new guns that have issues. That money could be put to much better use.
The said part it isn't just Ruger. It's seems like this is happening with allot of the gun makers. They are rushing them out and the bottom line they aren't turning out the quality guns they once did.
I've said it before and I'll say it again I've never been a fan of Ruger's semi autos. The only reason I bought 2 of the early LCP's for trading material and because it was it was so compact and easy to slip in the pocket.
Don't get me wrong I love the Ruger S/A and D/A revolvers. I personally think there's much better semi autos out there then the Rugers.
I know people like new and different models but Ruger is getting ridiculous with all the new models they are releasing and in many cases discontinuing the old models that were time proven with the new releases. I hope Ruger can get a handle on it. Once a company loses their customers trust it's very hard to get it back.

dberry

Bearcat
I have had zero issues with my LCP but the trigger does have a near unnoticable reset. It took me some time to get used to my LCP trigger. I do notice that if the slide isnt lubed then the trigger is slightly slowed down resetting fully forward.

Erick421

Bearcat
My update after shooting the LCP II again this weekend:

First magazine it functioned flawlessly. After that though, every round ejected, chambered a new round & cocked the hammer back but the trigger wasn't reset. I checked to see if the slide was holding the trigger bar down each time but it wasn't. My issue almost seems like somehow the slide is missing the trigger bar completely as the gun cycles therefore not resetting the trigger, but doing every other function including cocking the hammer all the way back and chambering the next round. Time to call Ruger. I'll post an update once I get it back.

As a side note, no matter which direction/side I force the slide to by hand while dry firing and racking the slide trying to replicate the problem, I can't seem to make it happen. I can't get the slide to jump over the trigger bar, nor can I get it to rest on the trigger bar holding it down but it will do it more often than not when firing live rounds.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Thanks Erick for the range report. Sounds like yours unfortunately has some issues too. You might as well join the club and call Ruger like the rest of us have or will be.
I'll bet Ruger has probably had a bunch of calls with these same LCPII problems by now.
There's no telling when I'll get mine back,(it's only been gone for 1 week today) and to be honest I'm not in any hurry as long as they make it right the first trip back which doesn't always happen.

Strangely enough I had no problem trying to replicate the trigger not setting. All I had to do was work the slide. That wasn't trying to apply any more pressure to either side. I just worked the slide as straight back as I could like it does when it's fired.
Like I said I fired all 60 rounds without any stoppage or issues the first and only time taking it to the range. I didn't notice or know there was any problems until I read Cowboys issues and that's when I started checking mine for the trigger not resetting.

With the extractor problem mine has I felt very uncomfortable with a live round stuck on the extractor & end of the projectile wedged in the top right hand corner of the ejection port. The extractor was just like it was clamped to the base of the case. Sooner or later I'm ( we all ) are going to have to unload the gun for whatever reason it maybe. It might work when it's fired but this is total unacceptable not being able to extract a live chambered round by working the slide.
The first time it happened I messed with it for a minute or two and finally ended up prying the round off. I thought at first somehow it was just some kind of a fluke thing that it got caught or hung up. I was surprised and really disappointed that it happened every time I tried it by working the slide manually. I tried it fast and slow I got the same unacceptable results.

I'll give Ruger the benefit of doubt and hope they will make it right like they eventually do. If it has to go back again I'll get with Mike Fifer and see to it that they exchange or swap this gun out. I bought a new gun and I expect a new gun not one that's been back a couple times for repairs.
Worse comes to worse if they replace it and I don't feel comfortable having another LCPII I can always sell it. I probably should have bought a Sig P238 or even a S&W Bodyguard. Bottom line so far this has been a disappointment. I wasn't happy with my early LCP and I should have learned but I came back for seconds.

Erick421

Bearcat
Hopefully they will make it right on the first trip back. The worst part is watching all these YouTube videos where people run 150-200 rounds through theirs without a single malfunction at all and here I am not even able to get through 6 rounds without an issue. I shouldn't be surprised though. I tend to have this caliber of luck on a regular basis haha. I'll be sure to report back when it returns and I'll check back to see how your situation turns out as well.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
dberry said:
I have had zero issues with my LCP but the trigger does have a near unnoticable reset. It took me some time to get used to my LCP trigger. I do notice that if the slide isnt lubed then the trigger is slightly slowed down resetting fully forward.

Welcome to the Ruger forum dberry.

That might explain why the LCPII I got looked like it had lubricant almost dripping off of it. I have never seen a new gun that looked like it was soaked in a lube vat. I cleaned mine good and re-lubed it. Nothing like Ruger had on it.
I don't mind a little lube but I don't want it to where it's going to soak in my clothes or in my pocket. Even Hillary wouldn't approve of that.
I'm looking forward to see what Ruger says was the problem especially with the extractor. I can almost guarantee the extractor is defective and that will be replaced. It just didn't look like it fit that cutout on the side of the slide right. It might be the spring whatever it is something isn't Kosher.