Ruger LCP-2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Does it still have the smiley problem that the LCP and P3AT have?

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
There are many brand new reviews, this one at Real Guns is good, as always.
http://www.realguns.com/articles/867.htm

I have a slicked-up P3-AT that I carry daily, for going on ten years now. I have toyed with upgrading to a Ruger but none of the latest variations of the LCP seemed to be enough different for me to decide to buy. I liked the LCP Custom a lot, but the protruding sights do not work for me. Not on a belly gun!

I really really like this new version!

I will handle a new LCP II as soon as I can find one, and most likely I will take it home and pass on the Kel-Tec to one of my kids. It doesn't really have any trade in value...

John Davies
Spokane WA

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
It still needs a factory long magazine with more rounds. I do like the lock back feature.
Geoff
Who notes Kel-tec has had a long magazine for decades.

djw54

Single-Sixer
LCP II? How about LCP American?
4.jpg

I really like the looks of it, which really do make it look like part of the American family.
The last round hold open is a nice feature.
The shape of the trigger guard looks different enough that accessories won't be compatible.
The new sights are an improvement over the original, without protruding as far as the sights on the Custom.

Huh, just noticed the trigger safety. I wonder if the trigger pull is different, requiring that trigger lever? My LCP Custom has a long double action pull, which would make that trigger safety redundant.

eta: Just ran through the realguns review: Trigger is single action now (should have been obvious). It will take LCP magazines, but won't hold open with them.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Whew! Thank god it has serrations on the front of the slide; otherwise, how would I perform uber-tacticool press checks with my pocket .380 that's the size of a deck of cards? :roll:

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
So, it is single action. I wonder if it has a passive firing pin block of some sort?
It has a hammer, no firing pin.

The internal hammer is still visible when it is fully back, but it has a much smaller opening... I like that, it will help keep lint from accumulating inside.

ruger-lcp-ii-4.jpg

"They've even gone one step further with a new, integrated blade safety trigger design evolved from the LC9s, that, and I say this with a great deal of respect for the "Red Trigger Ruger" (which I carry every day), makes the LCP II worth stepping up for. The average trigger pull on an LCP is 6.5 pounds; the new LCP II trigger has a resistance of 5 pounds, 11 ounces on average. Ruger describes it as having a single-action-only (SAO) trigger. It has a long 0.75 inches of travel, firm stacking for the last 0.5 inches with a clean break, and short reset. Although it may seem strange to describe a trigger like this as a single-action, I think that Ruger's reasoning behind this is that a double-action-only (DAO) would fully cock the hammer when you pull the trigger, and the LCP needs to have the slide cycled to set the hammer for the gun to be able to be fired. As a result, it offers no second-strike capability but the new slide requires only half as much effort to rack, and a short stroke to re-cock the internal hammer in the event of a misfire. It is a much-improved trigger and slide design, and I really liked the "Red Trigger Ruger" LCP Custom. One other change to the pistol's internal hammer-fired design is that only the top third of the hammer, rather than the entire back of the hammer, appears in the rear slide opening when the action is cycled. This is a little harder to see, but adequate."

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-380-lcp-reborn-new-lcp-ii-full-review/

As an older guy with increasing difficulty racking (tiny) slides, this new gun with half the effort to rack looks good to me.

John Davies
Spokane WA

DanPop

Bearcat
I'm impressed, someone has one on Gunbroker for just $275. GunsAmerica is trying to sell them for $350 yikes.

I better stay away from the beer tonight, I might impulse buy.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=243889&p=2461369&hilit=lcp#p2461369

Oops...

John, of course it has a firing pin. You are thinking of a striker no doubt, a different action/part altogether.

louchia

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
So, it is single action. I wonder if it has a passive firing pin block of some sort?
The manual cautions that dropping may result in AD.

louchia

Single-Sixer
djw54 said:
LCP II? How about LCP American?
4.jpg

I really like the looks of it, which really do make it look like part of the American family.
The last round hold open is a nice feature.
The shape of the trigger guard looks different enough that accessories won't be compatible.
The new sights are an improvement over the original, without protruding as far as the sights on the Custom.

Huh, just noticed the trigger safety. I wonder if the trigger pull is different, requiring that trigger lever? My LCP Custom has a long double action pull, which would make that trigger safety redundant.
Ruger discribes the trigger as short and crisp.
eta: Just ran through the realguns review: Trigger is single action now (should have been obvious). It will take LCP magazines, but won't hold open with them.

Cholo

Staff member
Well, that was a barn burner :mrgreen: One just sold on Gunbroker for $280 delivered.

www.gunbroker.com/item/589677199

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
How does that work? Never heard of a hammer gun with no firing pin. What strikes the primer?

Overall, this looks like a nice piece. If I had the original LCP, I would want to upgrade. But with the "gen 2" stainless version, I think I'll just hold. Would be nice to have last shot hold open though.

5of7

Hunter
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
How does that work? Never heard of a hammer gun with no firing pin. What strikes the primer?

Overall, this looks like a nice piece. If I had the original LCP, I would want to upgrade. But with the "gen 2" stainless version, I think I'll just hold. Would be nice to have last shot hold open though.

I think it has a firing pin all right. I think what your quotee meant was that it is not striker fired. 8)

louchia

Single-Sixer
John E Davies said:
FergusonTO35 said:

The internal hammer is still visible when it is fully back, but it has a much smaller opening... I like that, it will help keep lint from accumulating inside.

ruger-lcp-ii-4.jpg

"They've even gone one step further with a new, integrated blade safety trigger design evolved from the LC9s, that, and I say this with a great deal of respect for the "Red Trigger Ruger" (which I carry every day), makes the LCP II worth stepping up for. The average trigger pull on an LCP is 6.5 pounds; the new LCP II trigger has a resistance of 5 pounds, 11 ounces on average. Ruger describes it as having a single-action-only (SAO) trigger. It has a long 0.75 inches of travel, firm stacking for the last 0.5 inches with a clean break, and short reset. Although it may seem strange to describe a trigger like this as a single-action, I think that Ruger's reasoning behind this is that a double-action-only (DAO) would fully cock the hammer when you pull the trigger, and the LCP needs to have the slide cycled to set the hammer for the gun to be able to be fired. As a result, it offers no second-strike capability but the new slide requires only half as much effort to rack, and a short stroke to re-cock the internal hammer in the event of a misfire. It is a much-improved trigger and slide design, and I really liked the "Red Trigger Ruger" LCP Custom. One other change to the pistol's internal hammer-fired design is that only the top third of the hammer, rather than the entire back of the hammer, appears in the rear slide opening when the action is cycled. This is a little harder to see, but adequate."

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-380-lcp-reborn-new-lcp-ii-full-review/

As an older guy with increasing difficulty racking (tiny) slides, this new gun with half the effort to rack looks good to me.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Yes it does have a hammer but it also has a firing pin.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
19ontheslide said:
Whew! Thank god it has serrations on the front of the slide; otherwise, how would I perform uber-tacticool press checks with my pocket .380 that's the size of a deck of cards? :roll:
Lol. I never press check my LCP. I make sure the condition of the gun before I holster it, and remember.

Latest posts