Ruger LCP-2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Let me rephrase. I mean, how far back is the hammer when it is cocked but the trigger is all the way forward. My 2015 LCP is about half cocked in this condition.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Now I'm sure no body gives a rats rear end what I think but.....I have the second generation of the LCP and I like it I like it a lot. Was at my LGS today to put my hands on this latest and greatest LCP II. Now I'm sure some folks will be jumping naked to get one of these guns. However I played with one for an half hour and I say PLEASE Ruger give us a pocket carry folks a brake. It was like holding on to a very rough piece of sand paper. The rear portion of the grip frame is slimmer than the old model making it ever harder to hold on to. The rear portion of the front and rear sights are serrated making it more apt to pull on your pocket material when drawing. The trigger on the one I was shooting was like grinding through sand but did smooth out after a 100 rounds. Thanks so much for your efforts Ruger but I think I'll keep the LCP I have.

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Just got an email from the Ruger Newsroom and it doesn't mention the LCP II. They show a new contest for posting your customized 10-22, the Ruger American Compact and the MK IV.

Interesting.

Hip Shot

Cholo

Staff member
Well, I fondled my 1st new LCP today. 1st off, the size difference is negligible. If you have a form fitted pocket holster like I do, add that into the $299 price, + the extra magazine. The trigger? Let's just say that it was a major disappointment. After the take-up, there might be another 3/16" of hard creep before it broke, or maybe not. Very inconsistent. The arthritis in my trigger finger joint is the worst of all my other joints :( This trigger pull was painful to say the least. It's hard to gauge how many #'s it took, but let's just say that it was way firmer than my early LCP example. Not too long ago I tried the trigger on an LC9 Pro and it was amazing! Not so with this single example.

Oh, I'm sure that Ruger would make it right if it were sent back to them...

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Sights on a belly gun. What will they think of next?

Saw then go as low as $255 on GB (plus inflated shipping of course). LGS has them on the shelf for $269.

The LCP (and Kel-Tec) have served well as a boot gun when equipped with a belt-clip setup, either Kel-Tec's or a copy. They are also light/small enough to carry in a jacket breast-pocket when out for dinner or when any gun is better than no gun in a social setting. Test-firing and practice at 3-4 yards is sensible, but comparing the trigger and sights to anything remotely more distance-oriented is folly on this ranch. (we have Smith & Wessons for that!)

Merus

Bearcat
I bought one of these when I saw it for sale, and am not sorry. For me the selling point was the single action trigger. I have always liked the size and weight of the LCP, but wanted something with a SA trigger, and ended up with a Sig P238, which is bigger and much heavier than the LCP (16 vs 10 oz.).

For anyone still confused, the LCP II is "full" single action and hammer fired. Carrying it with a round in the chamber is like carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, with no thumb safety. The only safety is the trigger, which is like many striker fired (Glock) pistols.

It's like Ruger looked at the specs of the LCP and asked "How can we modernize this gun, give it a single action trigger, and address some of the issues with it." The result is the LCP II, with modernized ergonomics, better sights, and a single action trigger. My comparisons are against the LCP, not the LCP Custom, which is no longer listed as a product on the Ruger web site.

Bottom line: If you prefer a double action trigger, you might be happier with the LCP, or LCP Custom.

Merus

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I got one last Saturday.
279.99 plus the Gov't's share. It was just under 300.00 O.T.D.
I probably could have waited and found it a couple bucks cheaper but it was there and I could inspect it.

The salesman said they have been going real fast. I got the last one from the back room and they only had the one in the showcase left. The LCP II's might not be for everyone but compared to my early production LCP it's like the difference between day and night.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I examined an LCP II at the fun store the other day and was impressed. It adds a bit of size and weight, which is welcome to me. The sights are easier to see. Yes, some of us actually do practice alot with small carry guns and take them seriously. I thought the trigger pull felt similar to my Glock 42, except there is a rolling break rather than a hard break. Overall I like it, however I am going to wait and see if any safety concerns or recalls shake out. I really don't feel comfortable with an almost cocked hammer and no passive firing pin safety or hammer block.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
I have to admit that my previous comments about it on this thread notwithstanding....I currently have my own LCP II in my pocket as I write this. I don't know what to say. I shot a handful of early LCPs and found their triggers to be nothing short of horrendous. When this new LCP II came out I rolled my eyes and figured it was just a cosmetic change. I was wrong. We started to get these in at the store a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I started playing with them, I knew they were a whole different ball game. The trigger isn't the best I've ever felt, but it absolutely leaves the original LCP in the dust. It's literally a world of difference between the two, and even though the sights are now once again integral with the slide, they are far more accessible/usable than the originals. And perhaps most important of all, this pistol just plain fits my hand better. MUCH better. Hence....I bought one. It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to "new" stuff in the pocket pistol market, but this LCP II has impressed me enough to make me lighten my wallet for one, and that's saying a lot.

Pandaz3

Bearcat
I ordered a new LCP II, October 7 but my LGS had a family emergency and it was the next week before he contacted a distributor, meanwhile I saw a ton online, then he could not get one his distributor told him they had seven with broken triggers, he thought it sounded like the XDS initial problem (I had/still have both mine that had to go back for a recall) I told my dealer after he told me that to continue trying to get me one. It will either be okay when I get it or Ruger will fix it I'm sure. No I don't want the hassle, but I do want the gun. I have a LCP and a LCP Custom, while they are accurate and reliable, they are no fun to shoot. I don't think the LCP will be a lot better, but if I can shoot three or four magazines before wanting to quit, I'll be happy.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I'm curious to see how many that have these new LCPII's will have trigger problems. There's a few of us already that have reported the triggers not resetting. Mine was one of them plus I have what appears to be a bad extractor problem.
My LCPII is already back in Prescott. I got a email acknowledgement from Ruger today. I will report back when I get it back.
I generally won't buy a new model until it's had the bugs worked out of it and proves itself. I need to start following that rule again.

I bought the new 9mm SR1911 and it's already gone back to Ruger now this new LCP. This is getting old. Ruger needs to get their act together and make sure they are right before releasing them.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
And, this is why I prefer to buy tried and true designs. Sadly it seems like Ruger wants to throw them overboard and start from the ground up every time the lineup needs to be refreshed. As much as I liked my SR9c I am glad I got out of it when I did as that nice gun is probably going to get thrown from the train soon.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
And, this is why I prefer to buy tried and true designs. Sadly it seems like Ruger wants to throw them overboard and start from the ground up every time the lineup needs to be refreshed. As much as I liked my SR9c I am glad I got out of it when I did as that nice gun is probably going to get thrown from the train soon.

I can't agree with you more. That's why I have 4 of the SR1911's I figured they couldn't screw up a 105 year old time prove gun. I've never been big on the Ruger semi autos and to be honest what I've gotten lately I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Guys I really don't know what to think about the New LCPII. I want to like it but it scares me and several others are saying the same thing worried about carrying a fully cocked hammer with just a blade trigger safety. I have to admit it does shoot good and has worked fine since it's first trip back to Prescott for the trigger not resetting. Maybe the trigger not resetting was Ruger's idea of the safety LOL.

I been carrying it with an empty chamber in my wallet holster which I'm not comfortable doing. I see no point in carrying a gun for protection with an empty chamber.
Several us had these concerns then when I read what Uncle George the holster maker had to say and refuses to make a holster for the LCPII was enough for me. I wonder if he ever got a reply from Ruger or Mike Fifer. http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/RugerLetter.aspx

I solved my LCPII problem almost two weeks ago. I went and bought another Sig . I've been carrying my Sig P 938 for 3 1/2 yrs in a IWB holster and love it. It's just a tad big for pocket carrying so I got the smaller Sig P 238.
It's almost identical in size to the LCPII. In fact it fits in the Talon wallet holster for the LCP almost perfectly. The only negative thing was that the LCP holster didn't cover the trigger enough. So I ordered another wallet holster made specifically for the Sig P238.

I'll hang on to my LCPII for awhile and see if Ruger has a recall. I hope I'm wrong but I think the way these LCPII's are designed Ruger is going to get hit with lawsuits when people start accidentally shooting themselves.
I took my Sig to the range last week and I was really impressed with it and the accuracy.
Other then the SR1911's I've never been a big fan of the Ruger semi autos. After buying this LCPII I think it's safe to say I'm finished with the Ruger semi autos. I rather pay a little more and get a higher quality gun that I feel safe carrying. I'm sure if W.B.R.Sr was still around this model would have never been released.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Not to beat a dead horse talking about various LCPII's concerns. I meant to ask if anyone else has noticed if their LCPII does this. I've been meaning to call Ruger and ask but it's been hectic around here lately.
When the LCPII isn't cocked the slide has a minimal wobbly side movement towards the rear. When it is cocked to me there is excessive movement not only in the rear but but towards the muzzle. I noticed when cocked you can wrap your fingers around the slide and the polymer frame and get quite a bit of downward movement of the slide that isn't there when its in the un-cocked position. Is this normal? I noticed my very early model LCP has some but not near as bad.

hotshot

Bearcat
Really like my new LCP11, but why didn't they get rid of that crazy take down pin. Ruger needs to look at the new Taurus Spectrum, now that's the way the Ruger should be (turn the take down screw) an off with the slide!

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
hotshot said:
Really like my new LCP11, but why didn't they get rid of that crazy take down pin. Ruger needs to look at the new Taurus Spectrum, now that's the way the Ruger should be (turn the take down screw) an off with the slide!

I agree that definitely needs to be changed.
Both my LCP and LCPII have had the take down pin work it's way out while firing them. I've tried a couple different Factory Ruger pins all doing the same. I bought the Tandemkross take down pin and it's no better. I probably need to call Prescott and see if they have a solution.