The first time...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

...for me to return a handgun to Ruger.

Took my "new" (have had it for a good while now but just never got around to shooting it) SR45 to the East Coast Gathering this past weekend to get some rounds through it.

After many, many light primer strikes (every other round or more often), I just put it away to wait until I got back to the shop to tear it down and look at it.

Took it apart today and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, I had cleaned/lubed it when I got it so I took the firing pin out to check the firing pin channel. Nothing wrong there. With it disassembled, I released the firing pin and saw that it did not protrude even to the length of the tapered portion of the firing pin. Don't know if the firing pin is just too short, or if the firing pin channel wasn't cut long enough to allow more of the firing pin to protrude.

Gave Ruger a call, talked to Kane Paulsen in CS, answered his questions, and he sent me a shipping label to send it back for them to check out. Goes out FedEx tomorrow.

He first asked what ammo I was shooting, in particular if it was Winchester White Box, he said that they were seeing some problems with all the striker fired guns with WWB and were having conversations with Winchester about this. I was shooting Federal (American Eagle) and even tried some of my handloads which I know ignite fine.

So, I'll leave it up to Ruger to see what's going on. I like the SR45, fits my hands great, nice balance and mine had absolutely no cosmetic/rough edges/machine marks type problems.

Well, I'm supposed to get my Sr45 back from Ruger tomorrow, they received it on 10/11 and shipped it back to me 10/17. I'll see then what they may have done to it.

Headspace was fine, I checked that before calling Ruger. I use Clymer headspace gauges and there was nothing out of the ordinary when I checked. I'm still thinking that the firing pin just did not protrude enough to reliably set off the primers. We'll see tomorrow.

Got it yesterday afternoon. The letter showed that they basically replaced the guts of the frame (guide rod assy, mag latch, mag disconnect, slide stop spring, ejector and the striker assembly). They tested it without a malfunction (40 rounds of Black Hills 230 gr FMJ).

I'll take it out this weekend to see how it does.