Question...Mag Capacity...Ruger American Compact Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The evaluations I've read say the new American Compact 9mm is 12+1 capacity. Rugers website says it's 10+1. Shopruger.com says 12 round are available. So...What does it really come with?

WAYNO.

Hoosier21

Bearcat
I just purchased the compact. The standard issue is one 12rd and one 17rd magazine. The one that comes with two 10rd magazines is compliant for states such as California

Hoosier21 said:
I just purchased the compact. The standard issue is one 12rd and one 17rd magazine. The one that comes with two 10rd magazines is compliant for states such as California

I would have thought the 10-round was for compliant states, but the website did not show any other model that included the higher cap magazines.

P.S.
But just today, Ruger has updated their website to show the higher capacity model. Thanks.

WAYNO.

http://www.ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/specSheets/8635.html

"Also includes - Two nickel-Teflon® plated steel magazines (one 12-round and one 17-round with grip extension); small, medium and large grip modules."

triaxle

Bearcat
I just got one today I went for a 77 V 220 old red pad I saw last week mint no box for 499 and it was gone . Kind of figured it would be saw the Ruger compact 9 took it home cleaned it up and re lubed with clp I would trade my 17 round mag for another new compact 12 round . [email protected]

triaxle

Bearcat
With the clean and new lube job I had one jam on about the 3 round 1 mag with alm case cci the rest have worked fine . Today I will fire more .

triaxle said:
With the clean and new lube job I had one jam on about the 3 round 1 mag with alm case cci the rest have worked fine . Today I will fire more .

I am pleased with mine.

I know, just another cheap polymer pistol that folks love to hate, but if a feller was in the market for such a gun, and wanted a better factory trigger, and wanted a gun that was more ergonomically pleasing, and maybe even wanted the option of a manual safety, it would be to his benefit to think outside the BLOCK and give one of these a try.

WAYNO.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Quite frankly, I'm confused about the internet's lack of ability to see the merit in the RAP. I suppose that there is a legit argument that the RAPc is too heavy for what it is, but I don't find that to be an issue personally. I wonder how much of the hubbub is due to people watching too many youtube videos and then parroting that stuff under the guise of personal experience where there is none. M.A.C. and Nutnfancy have probably done more harm to the RAP's popularity (or lack thereof) than people are willing to admit.

I've owned and/or shot just about everything under the sun, and I find the RAP to be a great gun. I like it so much that it only made sense to pick up a RAPc to go with it. I've got two sets of (way overpriced) trijicons coming direct from Ruger, as this is the only source for night sights. After that point, I'm good to go with both HD and CCW. People really should give the gun a try. Other than a long track record and a vast aftermarket, I see little reason why I would pick a Glock over the RAP at this point.

tacticalreload said:
Quite frankly, I'm confused about the internet's lack of ability to see the merit in the RAP. I suppose that there is a legit argument that the RAPc is too heavy for what it is, but I don't find that to be an issue personally. I wonder how much of the hubbub is due to people watching too many youtube videos and then parroting that stuff under the guise of personal experience where there is none. M.A.C. and Nutnfancy have probably done more harm to the RAP's popularity (or lack thereof) than people are willing to admit.

I've owned and/or shot just about everything under the sun, and I find the RAP to be a great gun. I like it so much that it only made sense to pick up a RAPc to go with it. I've got two sets of (way overpriced) trijicons coming direct from Ruger, as this is the only source for night sights. After that point, I'm good to go with both HD and CCW. People really should give the gun a try. Other than a long track record and a vast aftermarket, I see little reason why I would pick a Glock over the RAP at this point.

I've been getting very close to adding a 9mm to the mix and I think the RAP is going to be the one. I've held them and they feel great, I like the looks, and I have yet to hear a bad report on one from an actual owner.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Captain America said:
I've been getting very close to adding a 9mm to the mix and I think the RAP is going to be the one. I've held them and they feel great, I like the looks, and I have yet to hear a bad report on one from an actual owner.

I know we are straying a little off topic, but...

I rented one before buying because I was afraid of the infamous thumb knuckle problem that was publicized on youtube by MAC. The reason I was concerned was because I have a similar issue with a lot of other pistols (Walther PPQ, Glock, even revolvers with wooden grips). With a proper grip, I experienced zero problems. I actually was almost hoping that it would be a problem so I wouldn't have to spend the money on the gun. ;-)

It is a super-soft shooting gun that returns right on target for me. I like the sights despite not being all that fond of three dot designs. (I think that the way the rear dots are recessed a little makes the front dot brighter with the rear dots a little shaded from the light.) Plus they are genuine steel. The slide lock is right where I like it to be. The mag release is right where I like it to be. The large backstrap fits my hand great and is grippy enough without being abrasive. I don't like front cocking serrations and there aren't any. Capacity is excellent. The guide rod is steel. The price is very attractive, too. The trigger is about as good as most other striker guns... it's metal and the trigger safety doesn't irritate my finger like on the Glock. The reset is a little long for a competition gun, but perfectly serviceable for a defensive pistol. What's not to like?

Latest posts