Cleaning a new LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winn

Bearcat
When my new LCP Stainless arrives, should I clean and lubricate it before heading to the range? And what are preferred cleaners and lubricants used by other Ruger owners?

HarryD

Bearcat
I would, mine was wearing a heave coat of oil when it came in. I cleaned mine with CLP before my 1st range trip and every time after and have had no issues but any good gun cleaner and lube should work.

I'd oil it and shoot it with out taking apart.... it should work fine.... but then i could not stand it with my new Sig the other week and had to take it apart and oiled it some of course.... my experience with my LC9 is that it is a bit of a pain to push the take down pin out and so I don't really mess with it that often... also I only put about 2 mags. through it about every 2 or 3 months and so don't really feel a need to actually clean it... I do brush the dust off of it every so often and try to oil the outside to stop some of the rust.

louchia

Single-Sixer
My suggestion, yes, clean it. Field strip clean and lub. You may be surprised as to how much dirt they sent you. Ruger test fires, boxes and ships.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I clean all new guns before I take them to the range. I don't worry quite as much with a revolver but I still clean them first.
With a semi auto it's a must to clean and lubricate before I will do anything with it.
There's all kinds of metal slivers and junk in them from the machining.

For lubricant I use some Break Free CLP that's made for stainless and fast operating guns. I've had it for years they might not even make it anymore.I use it very sparingly.

I am one who thinks more guns are worn out from constant cleaning than from shooting. That being said, I have had two brand new semi auto guns to the range that had ftb. Lubing made them reliable. So yeah, clean them up, go to the range and enjoy.
gramps

winn

Bearcat
I did clean and lubricate before I went to the range. And did same when I returned. No problems.