saftey issue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mygflc9s

Bearcat
my girlfriend just bought her first gun the other day and picked a ruger lc9s with a safety there is a pin that is red behind the thumb safety she doesn't carry with it on because she doesn't carry one in the chamber my issue is that the pin falls out very easily and it jambs the slide it wont rack or anything i find it very unacceptable for a carry gun and i am concerned for her safety while carrying it head anyone had this issue

Walking pins are a relatively easy repair if you have reasonable mechanical skills.

For those not having such skills,
please Call Ruger. Receive a shipping label from them and return it to them for repair.

WAYNO.

DGW1949

Hunter
Well guys...considering that the pin in question "walks out" when the safety is in the "fire position", I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it could also walk out while firing...which if so, may or may not "jamb the gun up"....but regardless might still prevent the safety from moving to the safe position....so either way I try to look at it, one thing stands out loud and clear....
Namely, the OP's girl friend either needs to make Ruger fix it, or better yet, buy herself a better-designed gun.

Me personally, I'd have already been on the phone with them.

DGW

woodsy

Blackhawk
I am finding it difficult to locate the "pin" being mentioned. The red indicator is oval in shape, and I see no oval shapes (which are any kind of pin) on the Ruger parts drawing. Perhaps it's the takedown pin, which is round, and not colored red? If so, that pin cannot back out if the "takedown plate" is in its upper, proper position.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DGW1949 said:
Well guys...considering that the pin in question "walks out" when the safety is in the "fire position", I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it could also walk out while firing...which if so, may or may not "jamb the gun up"....but regardless might still prevent the safety from moving to the safe position....so either way I try to look at it, one thing stands out loud and clear....
Namely, the OP's girl friend either needs to make Ruger fix it, or better yet, buy herself a better-designed gun.

Me personally, I'd have already been on the phone with them.

DGW
I had the same problem years ago with my Sr40c. In my case it was the pin that held the block. It would work itself out about a quarter of an inch after about 9 rounds of .40. This was a few years ago, after researching online I saw that others had the same problem. I sent the gun in and within 7 days I had it back without a problem since.

Since then reports of this problem have dried up. I strongly believe this was since corrected in a sort of stealth fix by Ruger on their newer pistols although nothing was officially announced concerning a correction. The problem just went away..

So to mygflc9s- I'd say send it back as well.