Ruger American Pistol 9mm Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kytrarewn

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
An old thread, I know...

But figured I'd say again, there are still no dedicated owb holsters for this gun. Oh yes, the website shows the holsters for the full size model are usable for the shorter model. I'm sure they are. But a holster that sticks out nearly an inch past the barrel and slide kind've defeats the purpose of a shorter barrel and slide.

Holster Makers! Anybody listening?

WAYNO.

I haven't received it yet, but Aliengear makes an OWB for this gun and makes a point of separating RAP and RAPCompact in its dropdown list.

Additionally, Crossbreed seems to use shorter Kydex shells for its holsters than a lot of other holster manufacturers, so even though both the RAP and RAP Compact fit into the same holster, it might make for a less uncomfortable fit for you. Possibly, their OWB will work the same way: https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Product/SnapSlide

Update...

DeSantis told me they'd have their Thumb Break Scabbard holster for the Compact in the works soon, and they'd let me know when they're available. I've heard nothing more, but just today I discovered they are offering it on their website, but it's already "out of stock". Their UPC is 792695340447.

http://www.desantisholster.com/THUMB-BREAK-SCABBARD

WAYNO.

Another update...Feb 28th...

I still have not received any news from DeSantis as they'd promised, but I discovered on my own that the holsters are now available and in stock. I ordered one today. $90 including ten-dollars shipping. Too bad Ruger doesn't have them available at shopruger.com , nor have I seen them available anywhere else. You'd think if a holster company wanted to sell a product, they'd make a little more attempt at marketing, and make it available to their retailers.

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
I had the RAP Pro 9.

Found it too big for a 9mm and too big for CCW.

The Compact Pro is much better.

I'm running it with the large backstrap.

Tommy Neil

Bearcat
I ordered one of the American 9mm Compact and holsters from crossbreed and getting ready to order from Alien a IWB and OWB holsters I wanted the safety model Will post how I like carrying it and shooting it.

Tommy Neil

Bearcat
Got the RAPc and its much to hard to rack for me. Will put couple hundred rounds and hope it gets easier. It feels like a small tank. I'm kind of disappointed. Will give it a good try

Tommy Neil

Bearcat
Took the RAP9c to the range and did some shooting. It does not like Federal Aluminum case at all many ftf. Shot Speer lawman 124 gr great. Moved several cans around at 50 yds. The grip hurt the top web of hand. I had the small grip and have put the medium grip on and ordered Talon grip for it.

Tommy Neil

Bearcat
Failure to eject case completely and causing a Failure TO Feed. No problem with brass cases

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Aluminum cases can be more sticky in feeding and ejection. The problem may just resolve as the gun breaks in. The aluminum case ammo may also not be loaded as strong as the brass case.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have it anymore but I had a Kel-Tec P-11 that would fail to eject aluminum cased ammunition when it was new. I honestly don't know if it ever got better because I just didn't run aluminum cased ammo in it after that. Brass cased was never a problem.

How many rounds did you fire before it started bothering your hand?

Tommy Neil

Bearcat
Mike J not many rounds but found I hadn't tightened the small grip up so I was getting pinched my fault. My Talon Grip should be here in a couple days and back to the range. No Aluminum cases anymore with this pistol. Really the RAP compact is like a small tank. I got a outside belt holster and not bad to carry. I have a Alien inside pant holster on the way and probably this pistol might replace my Ruger LC9s for carry

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I examined a RAP compact at the fun store today while picking up some reloading crack. I must say that the trigger pull on that particular example felt really good, quite similar to my buddy's Sig P320. I like how easy the field strip is too. Looks like the end may be in sight for the SR series. All the SR variants were down to $379.95 regular price, the 9E version a paltry $279.95.

Mike J

Hunter
I hope it works out for you Tommy Neil. I bought my wife the full sized RAP 9mm about a year ago. I honestly like it though I haven't gotten to shoot it much. Life seems to get in the way of me getting to do what I want to do. I've got things I have to get done this weekend but I'm going to try to get a range day in before I get on another overtime job.

Tommy Neil

Bearcat
I received a Alien Gear IWB holster Sat and wore it today while out and about. The RAP compact was so easy to carry with the Alien holster. Dog Gone it now I have to order one for LC9s and left side one for my LCP. I am very happy with the RAP compact and it will be my main carry.