SR22 problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jdrabbit1

Bearcat
First of all let me say I absolutely love this firearm. The action, the magazine, its very accurate, and its easy to break down and clean.

It does however have 3 major faults.

1 - You want to use copper plated ammo. If you don't it tends to get magor build up of lead at the end of the barrel. Mine cycles the cheap hollow points with no problems. (something I can live with)

2 - I have the occasional problem when the extractor won't pull out a brass, usually when its a live round, and I have to use a rod. (also something I can live with)

3 - Major problem... The slide release... Two big problems with this. (A) 22LR is dirty, and the slide release can get grit between it and the frame. (B) This pistol is 9 months old and has had approximately 1500 rounds through it. Either the pin that the release is mounted on has worn down or the hole that the pin goes through has been warped. What ever the problem is, the slide often becomes jammed open. The nobb that you would use to close the acrion needs to be pulled towards the rear. Now I don't claim to be an expert, but I would think that its a little early to have parts wearing out.

Any comments?

louchia

Single-Sixer
I have a SR22. I would suggest for
#1 use a better ammo. I suggest CCI mini mags or Rem Golden (NOT THUNDER BOLTS). You did not state what kind you are using but Rem. Thunder Bolts are the only ones I have ever had a serious leading problem with.
#2 Try polishing the chamber. It may be dirtier than you think. Again, better quality ammo may help
#3 I have no suggestion. I do not understand the nob or pin.

I have one that I also enjoy shooting and is a fairly accurate firearm. I have stovepipe issues, and mag feed problems. I understand many have gone back to Ruger for repair and tweaking. I will work on mine a bit longer.
With yours, I would call Ruger about the #3 problem and if they issue a return label, send it back in them in jammed open position with a note explaining what and why you are doing it, and let them see the issue. Of course it has to be sent with the mag and without any ammo.
On your first two problems, I agree with some earlier posters about the ammo switch. CCI MiniMags are great in this little gun if you can find and afford them. Aguilia Super standard 22 also works well in mine and can usually be found at Academy..