P95 and P89 magazine interchangability question please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I enjoy reading reviews of guns I already have. I am fortunate to have both a 1992ish vintage P89 and a 2012ish manufactured P95 in my stable, and magazines for both seem to work fine in either gun. However in some of the reading I've done it appears that perhaps I'm not thinking the interchangability through correctly. I've read that the magazine lock slot or something differs in some models and that the magazine needs for different years can be slightly different Could someone please set me straight? Thanks as always. Don.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
The issue comes from late P85 and very early P89 production----pretty sure shop ruger.com gives the serial number ranges at to what fits what

Your 2 pistols should be fine as the change over was pretty much done by 92.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you so much. I will double check the serial number for manufacture date on my P89, and check the ShopRuger site too. I really appreciate your help. Don

I have an early edition P89 and it took the 'other' magazines... you can't actually tell the difference between an old model magazine than a new one unless you have a micro-meter.

The distance from the top of the lock hole on an older model mag is 1.681" and on the newer ones is 1.660 - 1.7" and the size hole on the older one is .193" x .248" and new is .166 - .170" x .250.

What I did on my older model P89 was I took the mag. locking part out (this is a real pain in the butt) and took about .01" (100th of an inch) off the top of the pin that goes in the magazine. Now newer magazines fit and function in it just fine.

Latest posts