Any experience with ProMag 10 and/or 15 round magazines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Folks,
I'm curious does anyone have experience with Pro Mag extended magazines in the LCP?

I tried a Kel-tec magazine, trust me the Ruger is NOT a copy.

Geoff
Who is a curious fellow. :mrgreen:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
No personal experience with them but lots of second hand information. The overwhelming consensus it that they are unreliable and junk. For every report of good performance there are a dozen that say they don't work properly. Buy the Ruger OEM magazines.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have rarely heard anything good about ProMags.

DISCLAIMER: I have no after-market mags for any of my semi-auto handguns. My NAA Guardian and Kahr MK9 came with a sufficient number and I bought Ruger OEM mags for my P90.

I had a Ruger mini-30. I bought two 20 round magazines by Promag. Neither worked well at all. 5 plus jams per magazine. The Ruger 10 round mag functioned great. LCP mags by Ruger are well worth the expense IMO.
gramps

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Got the pro-mag 10 round mag for my LC9s pro. Put about 100 rounds thru the gun with it, no issues as long as the sleeve is all the way down. The last round didn't chamber once or twice when the sleeve was a smidge high, which pushed the mag down ever so slightly.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
Geoff Timm said:
Folks,
I'm curious does anyone have experience with Pro Mag extended magazines in the LCP?

I tried a Kel-tec magazine, trust me the Ruger is NOT a copy.

Geoff
Who is a curious fellow. :mrgreen:

I have the Ruger LC9S Pro pistol and purchased the 9 round Pro Mag for this gun. I've played around in the house with it in my gun using some Hornady Critical Duty 9 mm Luger 135 gr +P FlexLock ammo. I found that I have some failure to feed with this combination of ammo, gun and magazine. But I also had Failure to feed properly with two of the 7 round Ruger Italian Manufactures Magazines and one USA made 7 round magazine using the Hornady Ammo.

All four of these magazines will feed Blazer Brass 9 MM FMJ type ammo smoothly.

I even polished up the Feed Ramp on my Little Ruger LC9S Pro pistol before doing these test.

I was simply locking the slide back and filling the magazines with the Hornady ammo and inserting the mag into the pistol and then pulling back on the slid to unlock it and have it slam forward. The Hornady Ammo nose dives downward at the front of the bullet and the front of the bullet gets stuck at the bottom of the feed ramp.

I need to do further testing to see if this happens when shooting the gun with this ammo. The Hornady Ammo is more expensive to buy so I don't shoot it too often. I need to change that. I'll be going to the shooting range and firing some of these ammo with the little Ruger LC9S Pro pistol and see if I get any more of these failure to feed due to the front of the bullet nose diving downward while it's being pushed forwards out of the magazine and into the chamber of the pistol up the feed ramp of the pistol.

Edited 9/29.16 to add additional information:

I went to the outdoor shooting range Sunday and tested the Hornady Critical Duty 9 mm Luger +P 135 Gr FlexLock Ammo in this MagPro 9 round magazine in my little Ruger LC9S Pro gun. I had failure to feed problems and the bullets will nose down into the botton of the feed ramp and get stuck down there. I had to take the magazine out of the gun and clean the stuck bullet out of the gun before I could shoot again. And this happened with all three different magazine types. I have a USA made Ruger 7 round magazine and two of the Italian made 7 round Ruger magazines and all of these had failure to feed problems with this particular ammo.

This gun just does not like this particular ammo. It think it's the shape of the bullet with that FlexLock design that's the main cause of the problem. I need to test some other ammo such as some hollow points to see if they do the same thing.

I also tested this ammo with my Walthers PPQ M4 9 mm 4" barrel gun and it feed flawlessly though the Walthers PPQ. Not one Failure to feed problems with the Walthers PPQ.

Both my guns feed the Blazer Brass 9mm 115 gr FMJ bullets with ease. No problems with this ammo and either of my semiautomatic pistols.

Razor

Bearcat
I've tried Promags for a variety of pistols and rifles.
NONE of them worked reliably.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I'm in the don't waste your money on promags camp. I've tried a variety in various rifles and pistols. Most were junk. Occasionally you'd get one that worked. Get MEC-GAR or factory mags.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Well you guys saved me as well from buying them. I walked by them today and thought to myself "how hard could it be to make a magazine? It's after all a very simply device.

The price was very very tempting especially when the OEM magazines just beside it where marked at 3 times the amount. But I resisted the urge. It's too bad... if they could make a decent product at the same price point that company would do amazingly well. I'll check back on them in a year or two. Hopefully they can get it figured out. As for now I'll keep walking by.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My 6 round LCP Promags work perfectly. It's not that hard to make a small single stack mag for a rimless cartridge that doesn't even have to hold open the slide. I don't know about the 10 and 15 round ones, seems like an answer in search of a question for such a small pistol.