Lost my thread of "most accurate semi auto pistol"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Way back in the last 6-8 months I created a subject on what you 'experts' considered the most accurate semi auto pistol... the original post was about how I had just attended a 4 day defensive handgun class at Front Sight using my Ruger KP95dc. I attended with a group of friends and we were planning to go back and I was considering upgrading my semi auto choice.... So, the question was what you folks thought was the most accurate 9mm... If I recall it came down to either a Sig or Beretta followed by a CZ.

the frustrating part is I can't for the life of me find that thread... have spent well over an hour searching....

So, the point of this new thread is that I have put on layaway a brand new Sig 226.

In my own "expert" opinion, I own two most-accurate pistols, and both are a Ruger P90. They work great for me and consistently put the bullet where I actually want it to go. No firearm will be more accurate than the one that puts the bullet where you want it go, and that is a result of practicing a lot with the firearm you choose.

Tip

Single-Sixer
45blackhawk said:
In my own "expert" opinion, I own two most-accurate pistols, and both are a Ruger P90. ...a result of practicing a lot with the firearm you choose.
Man! No truer words. And, I recently passed on a P90 for a USP Compact in. 45 acp. I really like the size, operation, feel, fit & finish of the USP Compact.
I went to the range on Labor Day. I've got to improve my shooting with that USP to be consistently accurate.
I wonder if the P90 is still there... and, if my wife will keep me if I bring it home!

DGW1949

Hunter
The one and only Colt Gold Cup that I ever owned was surely the "most accurate semi auto pistol" that I've ever fired....but...when it came to what I call "practical combat accuracy", it wouldn't hold a candle for any of my High Powers to go by.

What I'm getting at there is that "accuracy" means different things to different people, so it follows that there's different ways to measure it.....the point being that shooting a gun's preferred target-ammo off of sandbags while seated at a bench is one thing. Firing a full combat-load while placing meaningful hits on multiple targets while under time constraints is quite another.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Mike J

Hunter
Blume I would be interested to read your impressions after you get the Sig if you feel like posting them. I keep finding myself lusting after a Sig 229. Thus far I have held myself in check but........

hittman

Staff member
Blume that'd odd but I can't find it either. :? I replied to it recommending my CZ75 and/or Sig P220.

I had decided on a Sig, even though I respect all the other opinions, just kind of stuck with that high end brand as what I wanted, I own a Sig 230 and like the idea of a German / USA manufacturer ... might have something to do with BMW being located here ..... and I was torn between the 226 and 229... I actually used a 229 in the force on force class I took back in June at the Sig Academy .... for what it's worth the 229 seems to handle much like the P95s I have. I'm thinking the 226 will be closer to the P89 of which I also have. I realized sole reason for my getting a Sig was for accuracy and reliability in competition (not for carry) and so I decided to go with the larger pistol.

My plan is to sight the Sig in at about 7-10 yards using sand bags from a bench and then it will be all on me.

new Sig of course comes with two mags... I was going to order two more from Sig but it was not that much more to order 3 at $46 each (they like their mags) since an order over $100 gets free shipping.... you need a minimum of 3 mags for the Front Sight course and 4 is much better and easier. On about day 3 there are a lot of tactical reloads.

As normally happens with me... I of course jumped ahead and went and ordered the extra mags.... now after registering the pistol with Sig I get a special number that will give me a 20% discount with them....

revhigh

Hawkeye
My 226 is the most accurate 9 mm I've ever owned, with the CZ75 a VERY close 2nd. However, ergonomically the CZ75 blows the 226 away IMO In that it handles and functions just like a 1911. I prefer the CZ75 trigger by far and don't really like the decocker action of the Sig.

If I'm shooting for accuracy ONLY ... I'd use the Sig ... For practical defensive shooting it would be the 75.

Of course ... For the MOST accurate semi regardless of caliber .... I too would select one of my GCNM's. There's really no other choice for accuracy without going full blown custom 45 at 3 times the price.

You won't be sorry with ANY 226 or 75 variant. Its truly a different level of firearm than any Ruger semi.

REV

DGW1949 said:
The one and only Colt Gold Cup that I ever owned was surely the "most accurate semi auto pistol" that I've ever fired....but...when it came to what I call "practical combat accuracy", it wouldn't hold a candle for any of my High Powers to go by.

What I'm getting at there is that "accuracy" means different things to different people, so it follows that there's different ways to measure it.....the point being that shooting a gun's preferred target-ammo off of sandbags while seated at a bench is one thing. Firing a full combat-load while placing meaningful hits on multiple targets while under time constraints is quite another.

Just sayin'.

DGW

I generally judge the accuracy of a pistol by how it shoots on a "bench wrest", but judge it's reliability by how it performs under the MOST adverse situations. This is determined by a lot if 3-gun use. Not many here have hundreds of thousands of rounds through their guns. The good ones I keep.

I was sorely temped to go with a 1911, single action style semi auto, but since I have a number of P95's and P89's and they are all double action/single action with decock only function and so that was part of the reason for me going with a 226... it is size and grip wise almost exactly the same as a P89. Sig claims that the double action trigger pull on this pistol is 10lbs and the single action is 4.5lbs... I'm hoping after a couple hundred rounds that's what it will smooth out ... because right now I'm thinking that double action pull is closer to 14+ ... it is smooth and crisp but still needs to lighten up a good bit for my taste.

revhigh

Hawkeye
The trigger is the one thing I was never real fond of with the 226 ... That and the decocker.

The functioning of the 75 is just so much better, but the accuracy of the 226 is incredible. Having said that ... I'd never carry the Sig if I had a 75.

REV

Much to your dismay rev high... I don't plan to carry either... I'll stick with my LC9pro... but I carried a Sig 230 for many years.... sadly Sig did make the 230 in 9mm but did not import them here and I think only supplied them to LEOs in Europe.

I'm wondering if I can figure out a way to cock the hammer at the same time as drawing the Sig and aiming and do it so fast that any instructor watching doesn't see it. Then again, that would be cheating.

I really don't have a problem with the location of the decock lever in that in the type of shooting I plan to do I'm using two hands and that makes it must easier to decock using the thumb of the weak hand.

DGW1949

Hunter
blume357 said:

...........I'm wondering if I can figure out a way to cock the hammer at the same time as drawing the Sig and aiming and do it so fast that any instructor watching doesn't see it. Then again, that would be cheating...........

I don't know if the hammer shape and/or designed-in safety features of a Sig lends it to being thumb-cocked, but that's how I do it with my 1911 and High Powers. After all, that aspect of using my gun's mechanics is really no different than using an SA revolver.
To your other point though......yes, the mere mention of thumb-cocking a semi-auto does indeed tend to freak-out most "experts", so I probably wouldn't be doing it while participating in any sort of formal setting. :lol: .

DGW

Well it would be totally stupid to holster one of these semi auto decock only with the hammer cocked... even though I have to admit I carried my Sig 230 around about 2 weeks cocked and didn't know it. But it seems to me with practice there would not be a problem cocking the gun while drawing and aiming if you have the decipline to keep one's finger off the trigger until the target is in sight.

revhigh

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
Much to your dismay rev high... I don't plan to carry either... I'll stick with my LC9pro... but I carried a Sig 230 for many years.... sadly Sig did make the 230 in 9mm but did not import them here and I think only supplied them to LEOs in Europe.

I'm wondering if I can figure out a way to cock the hammer at the same time as drawing the Sig and aiming and do it so fast that any instructor watching doesn't see it. Then again, that would be cheating.

I really don't have a problem with the location of the decock lever in that in the type of shooting I plan to do I'm using two hands and that makes it must easier to decock using the thumb of the weak hand.

Not sure what you mean by 'much to my dismay' as I couldn't care less what anyone else carries ....

REV

ruger1963

Bearcat
I can't imagine a more accurate and practical pistol than the Beretta M9 or 92fs for my uses. I have both and truly love them. They point, shoot and feel very natural to me.

I am a big P Series Ruger fan and might choose one of them over the Berettas for some low down and dirty trench warfare, but not for a bench/target pistol.