Lost my thread of "most accurate semi auto pistol"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It is really hard for me to maintain the 'isometric tension' when shooting... for those that don't know, this is pushing with your firing arm and pulling with your support arm. I'm used to holding the P95 very loose.

I put about 80 rounds through the Sig yesterday. I was getting about 2" groups at 25ft standing but had a flyer off about 3 or 4" every so often. Discipline....

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DB hits it out of the park. Blume's a good and smart guy, I felt he would find his own way. That's kinda why I didn't chime in earlier. I learned defense and combat shooting while in the Army and although much of the training is regimented, once you get into advanced levels the teachings become varied and sometimes all over the place but there is a method to the madness. It's almost like this is what it needs to look like, here is the approach, this is the wanted result, how you get there is up to you. That worked for me, I ended up with a modified isosceles stance but I didn't know that's what it was called. I just carried a pistol when in motion like I carried a rifle and I brought it up to fire very similarly. It felt comfortable and to be honest, easy. Sometimes easy is a heck of a lot better than thinking again and again. Push/Pull, locked wrist, tight forearm, tilted head at certain angle, all crud. Get a stance with your feet under your shoulders that is steady and get a comfortable grip that begins close in and moves out with grace and your body movement fluid but limited at the same time. Nice job DB and good luck Blume.

I'm getting back late to the party, and wanted to comment on something Tip said a few days ago, when he mentioned he got a USP compact .45.

I have a USP full size .40 and like it plenty, and I believe the USP to be an absolutely superb choice.

Sorry Dixie Boy and Cheezewiz... it seems I went out of town a week and a half ago and totally missed y'alls last post... I like the discipline that went on at front sight but their methodology is a little trying at times... A friend of mine who was there with me asked one of the chief instructors about using snap caps for the clearing a malfunction practice instead of a empty casing and the instructor informed us that they did not recommend it and then proceeded to explain that a LEO took their class and used snap caps for his practice sessions and then one day discovered he had loaded one in one of his duty magazines.... go figure....

I'm going to look up this Isosceles technique..

Oh, but understand at Front Sight they are not trying to get you to a super accurate place but a very comfortable easy and fast place where you react real fast to a bad situation and put two or three rounds where they need to be... usually within about 15ft.. I just want to take my shooting to the next level.

I appreciate y'alls input... I've done some research and it seems both methods have their pros as well as cons... bottom line is I'm going to have to do some more research as well as practice. I'm not sure the method taught at Front Sight is totally a Isometric....

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
My most accurate, trouble free, count on it every time, 9mm is my most homely gun...my Glock 17.

You can knock its looks and the fact its plastic yadda yadda yadda, but the damned thing can shoot and do it well.

This from a guy with 12 various Rugers...it is what it is. I try not to fight the tide. YMMV.

I've noticed that folks tend to get 'devoted' to one thing and often can't see out of the box... the odd thing is I found internet sights that said the triangle thing 'isosceles' was 'old school'. One of the interesting things is that the weaver style was put down because it turned your body and allowed one with a vest to get hit under the arm. The other method keeps you straight to the bad guy and so a vest is more likely to work. This of course assumes two things... that the person shooting at you is actually a good shot and aiming at center mass and the more important part...that you are wearing a vest.... neither are practice points for regular folks in the real world.
I'm willing to try this triangle thing but to be honest it just doesn't seem natural to me.

DGW1949

Hunter
blume357 said:
I've noticed that folks tend to get 'devoted' to one thing and often can't see out of the box... the odd thing is I found internet sights that said the triangle thing 'isosceles' was 'old school'. One of the interesting things is that the weaver style was put down because it turned your body and allowed one with a vest to get hit under the arm. The other method keeps you straight to the bad guy and so a vest is more likely to work. This of course assumes two things... that the person shooting at you is actually a good shot and aiming at center mass and the more important part...that you are wearing a vest.... neither are practice points for regular folks in the real world.
I'm willing to try this triangle thing but to be honest it just doesn't seem natural to me.

Good post Blume.
My own take on the matter is that what one needs to learn first is what has come to be called "your fighting stance". Once that is learned, most folks will quickly realize that it's basic principles can be applied to everything from fist fighting, to using a stick, using a hand gun, and that it's really no different than how the NRA teaches the "standing position" relative to effectively using a rifle....
....and no, none of those activities should be done while taking a stance which not only makes you a bigger target, but also causes you to turn the softest part of your body towards the threat....which is probably why the "triangle thing" seems unnatural to you, meaning that that little voice in your head is your common sense talking to you.

Of course, if all you're doing is trying to find the perfect position from which to engage paper targets down at the shooting range, then by all means, do whatever it is that helps ya shoot better.
After all, them paper targets aint trying to kill you. :lol: .

DGW

Dixie Boy, I'm sorry you feel this way.

I really appreciate your pointing out a different method of shooting and I have every intention of investigating and trying it. It must just be me, but I'm not willing to accept that one way is the only way.

Everybody:
Now with that said I do have an interesting observation that occurred several times this past weekend at the Ruger Gathering at Contenders... I placed a number of metal plates up on a wall these were about 6"-8" in diameter and attempted to shoot them as fast as possible. It seems I always missed the third one on the third shot..... I'm beginning to believe my third shot is always off and can't find a reason for that.

DGW1949

Hunter
Re: " I placed a number of metal plates up on a wall these were about 6"-8" in diameter and attempted to shoot them as fast as possible. It seems I always missed the third one on the third shot..... I'm beginning to believe my third shot is always off and can't find a reason for that." ........

My first thought is that your stance is changing too much during your transitions from target to target. Most often, that is due to a lack of foot work...meaning that the shooter is pivoting his upper body at the waist instead of pivoting his entire body off of his forward foot by slightly moving his support foot.

That make sense?

DGW

winchester37

Single-Sixer
If accuracy is a measure of how well a gun places shots in a group, then the most accurate has to be a S&W Model 52......by far the most accurate factory produced semi auto ever made.

cartoon_gorilla.gif

There's one in every forum.

DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
https://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/7981637-The-3-shooting-stances-Which-ones-right-for-you/

Thanks for the link, I saw that link a while back but it seems because of computer issues or something when I was looking at it the first time it did not show the pictures of the combat stance (3rd one).... seems much more practical to me and I believe is actually what is taught at Front Sight.

So I google the Sig 210 and read about it on Wikipedia... sounds nice and seems to be a good semi-auto for competition .... then I go to Gunbroker and do a search...
Holly Molly! Bids start at $2,500 on the lower cost ones! 3- 24,000 dollars?